RELIGION, yes or no?

marlboromild

Originally posted by Milton

Another thing that, especially Christian Religions, adopt is the belief in an angry and vengeful God. If God is all powerful, and all knowing, as they say, why would he be angry?

So true...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by gatita

I do not at all mean to insult anyone by my following comments. Personally Im open to everyone's beliefs, but these are just my own:

[As far as Christianity goes..] The Bible is taken completely out of context by many of it's believers. It was meant as a series of Aesop-isque tales, etc., but many who read passages believe that Jesus turned water into wine etc., etc. To read the Bible and to view it as a way to better oneself is one thing, [to me] to believe that a human/humans did these things are another.

Anything written by man I dont 100% trust or believe. No Im not cynical [okay, a little haha], but honestly folks.. look at our [uS's] govt. Do you believe all of that? Okay, you understand now?

Another point: Jesus. At a certain time in my life about 5 years ago, when I lost faith in organized religion [i was raised Lutheran] I began just believing in the Bible and Jesus. Then I realized, okay [like I stated before] the Bible is written by man, etc. Then I realized, why cant I say Im the messiah? Okay, yes this sounds fucked up, yes I'll prob get some sarcastic replies by that comment.. but in all honesty?

If a child was born and a woman stated these things now, would we believe it?

I think Im stopping this post now, Im writting too much and..... Ill go off on a dumb tangent.

:lick:

nah, no dumb tangent. a life not questioned is a life not worth living, some people walk through life in tunnel vision, never really questioning what goes on around them, and why things are the way they are. i agree with your points. i believe jesus was a revolutionist. he was the first to stand up for what he believed in, and was an example of the perfect man. he sacrificed himself on the cross.he did great things, yes, but does that make him god? or does that make him a good person?. and if someone came into the world today and claimed they were the next "messiah" , then we would kill the person, like they killed jesus. would we believe it? idk.

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

are you from Boston?

To tag along with the instilling of those aforementioned things, just look at the whole "god hates fags" brigade. These people are hatemongers, the guy who leads the whole thing is from the south, and him and his patrons made a trip to the massachusetts state house to protest the whole gay marriage "controversy."

I wouldn't say I believe in karma, but I try to be a good person, but sometimes it's just hard when the human race disgusts me

roslindale.ya that guy was at my high school graduation this year.

organized religion seems to be a damn potent form of propaganda to me. followers of such religions allow for too much deviation from the bible. as far as i know there is no condemnation of homosexuality in the bible. However there is the story of mary M, a prostitue shunned by society but accepted by jesus. Why would the son of god accept a prostitue and not someone genetically predisposed to homosexuality? people shield thier own ignorance with a bible, which unfortunately fools the majority.

The idea of religion is good but it is almost always misconstrued...christianity for example. The religion's ideals is about helping those who need you, being compassionate. But the main followers of it couldn't give two fucks about the homeless and those in need, and even the priests take advantage of the weak and kids who dont know any better.

Islam is another religion with good ideals, but alot of extremists take phrases out of context from the koran and use it to power their political beliefs, kill, beat women, ect. People are flawed and everything they do will be flawed to some extent.

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

roslindale.ya that guy was at my high school graduation this year.

organized religion seems to be a damn potent form of propaganda to me. followers of such religions allow for too much deviation from the bible. as far as i know there is no condemnation of homosexuality in the bible. However there is the story of mary M, a prostitue shunned by society but accepted by jesus. Why would the son of god accept a prostitue and not someone genetically predisposed to homosexuality? people shield thier own ignorance with a bible, which unfortunately fools the majority.

Shit I know tons of kids from rosi and westie, I'm from "Da Dot."

That's true the bible doesn't really condemn homosexuality, but it brings Sodom and Gommorah up a lot. But I really have no idea, even though I was forced to go to catholic schools, I jsut don't remeber much from the bible.

I'm far from religious but yet I find myself a better person than alot of those who criticize me for not being a believer. Although I doubt that there is a god i feel that religion has its purpose, just like science does. Religion is a gateway to to order and conscience. Its like an over the counter drug. Although it has its side effects, with out religion the world would be a more difficult place to live in.

<span style='color:black'>I think that religion was created to control people. Lets take the bible for example. So the humans are actin a damn fool again. This is no surprise. Moses goes for a little stroll up the mountain and says to himself "Damn these fools are straight trippin. But what can i do, what can i do? Oh I've got it!" So moses goes back down the mountain and see's these heathens acting all heathenish and he tells them "Hey yo, check this out. When i went for a walk up that mountain this super god talked to me. He gave me some rules for us to live by and shit." The heathens reply "What ever, you bitch." Moses shoots back "Nah peep game peep game. If we do what he says then we all get to go to this magic land up in the sky when we die where we get to do what ever we want, but if we fuck up........ We go to hell and burn for ever."

Now, which do you choose? Follow the rules or there might be a possiblity of being on fire for ever.</span>

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

i believe in karma to an extant in that i believe that being a generally good person will benefit you in some facit or other. there are obvious exceptions to this belief, but if nothing else i try to treat those around me as i want to be treated.

buck fush summed it up best for me...

i believe that above all, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, so long as they dont affect the lives of others negatively.

i believe in being a good person, i'm actively trying to take care of myself and those around me. treating others how i wish to be treated, i like the karmic philosophy that what you do to others comes back to you in time.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

there is nothing wrong with faith, or having beliefs.

organised religion, on the other hand, has shown itself to be a bad bad bad thing

***edit - perhaps i should elaborate a little

if there is an almighty god, creator of heaven and earth, all seeing and all knowing....well, do you think he really gives a flying fuck if you turn up to church every sunday? do you reckon he gets pissed if you eat a steak on friday? he's the almighty god and we're pissy humans. your prayers mean nothing.

So true, so true!!

I have been fighting with people for years about this topic. Honestly, some people (please keep in mind I said some) who have a deep belief in their faith are the most narrow minded people, and even in some instances are the most fanatical psychos…….ever! I am gonna stray a bit off of your point ABC (which i agree with).

God says murder is wrong, period. Right?? But the death penalty is OK to most people, especially our commander in chief. (Not that I am against the death penalty in all cases, because I’m not)

Abortion is wrong, right?? ( I am pro choice), but in the eyes of some fanatics, oops I mean faithful, killing innocent people involved with any aspect of an abortion is OK, even justified by god.

Look at the wars in the Middle East that have been going on for hundreds of year, they are all basically because of religious beliefs and differences.

A hot topic lately is gay marriage (I am for it) most Christians (I’m raised Roman Catholic but I’m non practicing) are against it. They say that it is immoral, again the same view of our commander in chief. Yet these same zealous people are ok with the idea of a priest molesting a young boy or girl?? Cause after all, if the Vatican and the church has know about the shit that has been going on and not done a thing about it (I mean REALLY done anything about it) well…..then they are condoning it as far as I am concerned. The same goes for the “faithful” parishioners who give their money every week to “collections” at their churches and who now have knowledge if the wide spread epidemic of this shit happening.

Never the less, I have always had issues with organized religion. Well, Buddhism is cool and a few other ones are ok with me I suppose.

But I just can’t get the concept of worshiping an entity who comes in the name of peace and love; but people kill in the name of this same entity. People destroy in the name of this same entity. Call it/him/her what you will: God, Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, killing in their name is a perversion of what they allegedly represent.

***just a few of my reasons why I am against organized religion

Archived