bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

weigh in: i am beginning to wonder if my chain is too long? when i went from the 53/39 crankset to the 46/30, i didn't shorten the chain. should i have done this? in that 36 ring the chain is pretty slack in the 13/15 cogs 

internet wasn't all that helpful; people were saying the rear derailleur would take up the slack 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne

Rode my bike today.

This morning I started the process of turning my lane-splitting fixed gear into a bar-hopping townie by adding a rear brake. Honestly not that bad… next up is free wheel and swept back bars (maybe some bull moose??) and then either a front or rear basket. Not stoked on running new brake cables, can never get it right. May get that done at LBS. These old knees aint down with skid stops anymore. It hasn’t even been that long; maybe five years. 

5038E387-7E36-4488-97A5-CF2558BB191F.jpeg

0AC835B1-35BE-414C-BCB9-6062DDB093E9.thumb.jpeg.de8018e13e6bb1fe8850e6b27357188d.jpeg

3CACAFC3-DFF9-4D7E-B95D-6D33671D36E8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Props 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, Elena Delle Donne said:

weigh in: i am beginning to wonder if my chain is too long? when i went from the 53/39 crankset to the 46/30, i didn't shorten the chain. should i have done this? in that 36 ring the chain is pretty slack in the 13/15 cogs 

internet wasn't all that helpful; people were saying the rear derailleur would take up the slack 

If you're good a maths - https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing - scroll down to item #6

Or use a chain length calculator - http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, Elena Delle Donne said:

hive mind... what's our favorite bar tape? mtb/fixie flat bar folks with grips can play too, shout em out.  

i just ordered cinelli cork tape to replace novelty tape from state for the past 5k miles that has fallen apart (it was cheap).

All I've ever used is Fizik Microtex 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used Garmin in the past, they were okay. About three years ago I switched to the Stages Dash when it first came out. It was simple in design but covered all the bases for the feedback I wanted. I upgraded to their newest version of the Dash last year and have been really happy with it. A handful of team mates use them as well and are all glad they have it. Have a few friends that use the new Wahoo Elemnt Roam & Bolt and they love 'em. I think the general feedback I've been seeing (at least from folks I ride with) is that Garmin quality has been going downhill, and the new generation of computers have taken over with higher quality, better feedback options, and much more reliable connections. 

I will say that at the beginning of this year I added a Gamin Varia to my bike and it's been incredible. That feedback of knowing a car is approaching long before I hear it has been great. It's expensive for what it is but I have found it to be well worth that expense. 

Oh... and I've been doing some CX racing, lately. Muddy, sandy, and fun. Hard as hell, though. One more race for me this year and then I'm taking a nice break before picking up the training, again. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

thanks @Joker and @metronome

the radar thing is interesting to me. i went back and forth on a real serious motorcycle camera and/or radar setup this year for the cross country ride; didn't do it, trusted my ears and never had a problem (i didn't even have a mirror). but those roads were pretty empty. 

if i'm gonna do anything it's a real camera setup, because we have vindictive hit and run drivers around here. but that's batteries... mounts... a lot. but it could also mean getting the driver that day that my number comes up and i get hit and left for dead. i have had very few road incidents around here in 5k miles or so but the ones i've had have been nasty, like "i should carry mace" nasty. 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne