bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

On 11/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, Joker said:

Also, not sure where you're located but if you have a local racing scene I would check their message board for a "For Sale" thread. Especially this time of year when guys are looking to unload bikes or parts so they can upgrade for next year. Bike racers are like any racing culture... they have to have the latest and greatest so they're constantly upgrading. You can get some quality stuff for cheap that's only been used for one or two years. And you can haggle.  

yep. we have a local group just like this.. i'm watching like a hawk. 

@metronomei have done a full 180 on drivetrains. seeing new 2x12 sram force axs groups for like $1100-$1300 in some places? my friends with hydraulic brakes keep telling me they bleed like every 20,000 miles and i have nothing to worry about 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 weeks later...

I have around 13 bikes and the Mrs has 3. All of hers has wide, beach cruiser, style seats and most of mine do as well. A few of my bikes have narrow saddles.

I bought a pair of padded crotch shorts for the narrow saddles. The shorts are designed to wear under regular pants or shorts. 

I wear them on the outside tho!

On 11/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, nicklesndimes said:

both bikes look fresh

On 12/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, Elena Delle Donne said:

looming great

Appreciate the kind words. The military bike is getting a Red Cross over a white roundel, on the storage box under the top tube. First aid supplies is what's usually in there anyway

• Like 2

I always wear padded bib shorts and jerseys when riding. My saddles are all narrow and completely unridable without padded shorts for any extended period of time, so yeah... always wearing bib shorts. It completely makes sense when you've been digging deep for 3 hours in a group ride, sitting on the 'rivet' of your saddle just to hang on to the group, or put the group under pressure (depending on how you're feeling that day). I also use chamois cream for every ride over an hour, too. It's the best thing, ever, for longer rides. Took some getting used to at first but now I wouldn't do a long ride without wearing any.

Pretty sure there's MTB padded shorts that look just like normal shorts but with a padded liner. I know some men refuse to wear bib shorts because they feel it makes them look like a a gay dude freakin' in da club... which is, I don't know... weird? It's not like they're shimmery gold with flashing lights and music booming out of them.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Not too long ago I went to the Chris King handmade bike show where about twenty bike builders were given new, limited edition Chris King components to build a bike around. There were some really cool bikes on display but by far the coolest was from a company called No.22. Being a fan of titanium bikes I was really drawn to it but I think I was equally drawn to the attention to detail not only in the frame design/build but also the paint and anodize they do on all their bikes. Really nice stuff. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 1.59.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 2.08.44 PM.png

• Like 4

Yeah, I think the seat tube is carbon. Definitely the fork. That Cerakote paint & anodize finish is so beautiful. I wish I could find a good photo of the bike they showed at the Chris King show. It's very similar to the green one above but the the details are so good. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they're very much not affordable. I just did a full build for that bike (granted, I used ENVE & SRAM for everything, and Ceramic Speed rear derailleur) and it ended up at $12,500 USD. That's not affordable. The new Cannondale SuperSix EVO is $15k. Canyon Aeroad CFR is $10k. Trek Emonda SLR 9 is $13k. 

I think $10k+ for a race steed is just the new normal. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that $8k was incredibly high for the same quality of bike, but now that price is a low-to-mid range bike. 

I'm kind of in the market for a new road bike (even though I no longer race road) but what I want and what I can afford are two different things. I thought with the bike market being flooded with supply, and now a low demand, there would be some amazing sales happening but I haven't seen anything worth considering.  I'm thinking I may have to buy frame and fork and then build it up on my own with deals found online for components, wheels, and accessories. Try to get a $13k bike for half that... or less. 

• 4 weeks later...