bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Can anyone put me on game with locks ?

I’m a complete noob @ bicycles , need to pick one up since I’ve been biking around a lot more and want to go on some longer missions . I ride with a backpack that can fit a normal sized lock . I wouldn’t be keeping the bike locked up for more than an hour or two - food stops etc , but I know it takes mere minutes to cut a lock .

1) I noticed Kryptonite has a numbered level system , what’s the best # to pick up ? (Or any other specific brands/models you trust/personally use) 

2) Cable Lock or U Lock ? Both ?

3) What is the proper way to lock up a bicycle ? Does it depend on the bike ? I ride a 3 speed Linus roadster (posted prev page) . Lock up the front tire AND frame ?

Any help would be much appreciated ~

@luhem- I've been using an OTTO lock for about a year and I freakin' love it. Love it so much I bought one in each size. The small one I can roll up and stick in my back pocket for those around-town rides. With four layers of kevlar, cutting through the strip is damn near impossible. Read some reviews about them online.  

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.58.56 AM.png

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 12:59 AM, Joker said:

@luhem- I've been using an OTTO lock for about a year and I freakin' love it. Love it so much I bought one in each size. The small one I can roll up and stick in my back pocket for those around-town rides. With four layers of kevlar, cutting through the strip is damn near impossible. Read some reviews about them online.  

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.58.56 AM.png

Without reading any review and purely looking at it visually, I'd say that is weak af. What about it, to you, makes it worth locking your baby to?

On 8/5/2018 at 6:22 AM, delv said:

Without reading any review and purely looking at it visually, I'd say that is weak af. What about it, to you, makes it worth locking your baby to?

Yeah, I would agree that upon looking at a photo I would laugh at any thought of locking my bike up with it. Seeing first hand how strong it is, and how it holds up to many different kinds of cutting tools (and large hammers), my view on 'looks' was overshadowed. 

But lets be honest... ANY lock is breakable. If thieves have time and want your bike bad enough, they'll find a way. 

I'm a year round commuter (or at least 10 months if it's really shitty) and I swear by using 2 complete locking systems (meaning lock your frame twice). I have a small Krypto Evolution lock for the rear wheel and frame, and another mini-Ulock and 15mm cable for the frame and front wheel (and I run it though my cetma cargo rack as as well).

Using two independent systems means that a thief needs to break two different locks to get my frame, so they'll move on to an easier score. Plus my bike is a debranded Nashbar beater.... but I'd hate to lose her.

• Like 1

Seems like the best case scenario is to get your bike secure enough so that any potential thiefs will glance at it then move along to the next target . Gonna get one small/one medium lock from Ottolock for short commutes where I may stop at a bathroom/run into a liquor store and a kryptonite setup for when I’m locking it up for an hour or two .

Thanks @Joker& @RumPuncher !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/15/2001 at 9:28 AM, Gnes 37 said:

I used to have a Lowrider bike cept it aint all fancy smancy and shit i ride it rough and scrape the pedals lol

started out the same, but joined a car club and ended up spending thousands on some of mine...competeing and stuff...gold chrome engraved and the whole deal....still have some cruisers now....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 10:24 AM, RumPuncher said:

I'm a year round commuter (or at least 10 months if it's really shitty) and I swear by using 2 complete locking systems (meaning lock your frame twice). I have a small Krypto Evolution lock for the rear wheel and frame, and another mini-Ulock and 15mm cable for the frame and front wheel (and I run it though my cetma cargo rack as as well).

Using two independent systems means that a thief needs to break two different locks to get my frame, so they'll move on to an easier score. Plus my bike is a debranded Nashbar beater.... but I'd hate to lose her.

word i use a kryptonite ulock for the frame and then i use one of those abus chain with the mesh and take of my front tire quick release and run the abus lock through the front tire and back tire and frame as well. Only in high traffic areas 

That Ottolock video is damaging, for sure, but what I use it for - it's awesome. 

1 - He has modified his shears. He claims he hasn't, but he has. He's tightened the blades down. Regardless, it cut right through the bands of the lock super-easily. 

2 -  It's a 'coffee stop' lock and they've never advertised as anything else, even noting it's not a replacement for a U-Lock. 

3 - Again, ALL bike locks are pickable. A look through that guy's video library and it's full of him picking every bike lock imaginable. Choose a lock that suits your needs, and/or have several for different needs. 

If I'm riding my fixed in the city to run some errands or meet friends, I always use a U-Lock. However, if I'm out on a long ride on my road bike in rural USA and want to stop somewhere along the route for coffee or lunch, the Ottolock is great. Bike theft in rural areas is far less probable than it is in urban areas, so locking my bike up to a pole or bike rack for twenty minutes while I chill inside a coffee shop is perfect. I love my Ottolock but I would never use it for long durations in the city, at least not without a U-Lock along side it. 

For reference, here's the same guy picking a U-Lock that is by far the one lock with the best online reviews as far as 'peace of mind' goes (and it's $120) -

theres not to many people out there that can pick locks like those. Modifying those tin snips is nothing though tightening them and even sharpening the blade doesnt mean much those are pretty much bottom of the barrel snips, if those can cut through them then they really dont stand much of a chance against bolt cutters. in the city i live in theres guys running around with cordless angel grinders and sparks or not its takes under 30 seconds depending on the zip disc to get through even the highest end u locks most people dont even realize whats going. You can also get (which is a bit harder to come by) neumatic bolt cutters that have a pressure canester that can cut through a peice of rebar and it doesnt even make a sound. I supported a drug habbit for 10 years stealing high end bikes and to be honnest theres really no lock out thats indestructable, leave them in high traffic areas never leave them out over night, and have so many locks on it that the person takes a look n is like fuck thats too much work when theres one right next to it locked up on only one. 

Thoughts on the Sheldon Brown locking strategy? I know he was a guru and the u lock shouldn't be able to fit through the rear triangle, but I still can't bring myself to do it. 

If I'm quick - head tube or top tube

Gonna be a few beers -rear wheel and down tube

lock-bike-sheldon-method.jpg

locktechnique1.jpg

the ulock only goes through the tire not the frame in itself all i would do is undo the quick release and leave the one tire. especially if you leave it in a big big rack  where theres multiple bikes with quick release tires all id do is find one thats similair and take that tire off one bike, undo the quick release on the one where just the tires locked and just mix n match to get it out of there. 

the krytonite you got on the 2nd bike is the better of the two locks. On those on guards the U-Bar is strong but what isnt is the part that the u-bar locks into. On those particular they are mostly made of plastic. A good square headed welding hammer couple good hits and itll pop right off. On the kryptonites that particular part you cant get off with the same hammer 

1 hour ago, Banok1 said:

the ulock only goes through the tire not the frame in itself all i would do is undo the quick release and leave the one tire. especially if you leave it in a big big rack  where theres multiple bikes with quick release tires all id do is find one thats similair and take that tire off one bike, undo the quick release on the one where just the tires locked and just mix n match to get it out of there. 

The idea here is that even if you remove the skewer for the rear wheel the u lock is too large to fit between the rear triangle and chainstays. So you will not be able to remove the wheel, the u lock will still be stuck in the frame. 

The rear rim, tube and tire could be cut freeing the u lock but I doubt thieves would go that route instead of moving on to an easier mark. 

Now i gotta go and try and see if it works  I dunno man on the skinnier tires like 600's i think their might be enough space to still get the tire off. But i think if i were to try this out on my 29er that that may work just cause of the width of the tire. Or if you were to let the air out of the tire would that give enough leeway? 

Edited by Banok1

• 2 weeks later...

You guys listen to anything while riding? I know it's kind of a faux pas because you need to hear what's around you but damn some of those long rides can get... Dull. 

Ear buds I have can't cancel out the wind noise. You guys recommend any?