bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Sounds like your LBS doesn't know how to assemble a f/s mountain bike. Contact TREK and let them know you were sold this and have had these issues, the first couple are minor and amateur, but (if I understand the bolt issue correctly) TREK is looking to warranty a frame for you because some wrench doesn't know what he's doing.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Doesn't need warranty as I caught it early. The swingarm isnt damaged from what I can tell. Literally would have ridden maybe only a few hundred meters on relatively flat ground without the bolt, the washer was even still between the seat stay and the linkage plate, so I caught it before there was any damage done to the frame.

Fucking bold cost $40 to replace though. Going up to the shop to chat to them tomorrow.

Australia is ridiculously expensive for bike parts.

Long distance to import, small market = low purchasing power, high minimum wage = high prices.

It's not a standard bolt either, it's purpose made for this linkage. Heading up there in a few hours to have a chat with them. Really hope we can work something out as I just want a local shop that I can stick with that doesn't make me feel like I'm being hard done by.

My most recent purchase - had it since Oct 2013.

Trek Remedy 9, 2013 - ugly as hell, rides like the wind

It's stock with XT brakes and drivetrain, Shadow+ clutch derailleur, Reverb dropper post, Bontrager wheels, bars, stem - DRCV Fox Float CTD rear suspension with CTD Factory Floats on front.

The only changes I've made are removing the 3 stock chain rings and putting on a narrow/wide Crankworks chainring (this is awesome with a shadow+ clutch derailleur, I have not dropped a chain yet)

and putting on some 50/50 pedals. I've also gone full tubeless and chucked a High Roller on the front. The original Bonty XR3 Team was fine but I had a piece of metal on the trail rip a huge fucking hole in the tire that the sealant just couldn't plug.

Next change will be the forks. These forks are good but they are only 32s and for the rougher descents I'd prefer 34s and for the longer climbs I'd prefer air sprung forks.

In saying that though, this bike rides really nice. It climbs so fucking well it feels like I'm cheating - I was never an avid climber but this bike has definitely got me into it.

The descents are good but I'm still getting used to the tighter head angle when compared to an all out DH sled.

I'm also still getting used to the higher bottom bracket for cornering. I'm at the stage now where I'm over thinking my turns so I just have to break out of thinking the turns and start knowing the bike better.

My other rides to come, when I'm motivated to pic them.

Remedy9_zpsdd5fc68c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I like it man

All your components able to swap right over from the other frame?

Had to buy a new seat post.

Only major problem is.....

Usps lost the frame.

Fair enough too.

I used to have a pair of cannondale shoes that looked like normal runners but were fitted out for clipless. I ended up wearing the shoes out from normal use before I got around to installing the pedals. Now I have the pedals and can't be fucked going out and buying shoes.

Over here shops are starting to charge people to try shoes on in the shops. It's supposed to deter people from sizing up in shop and then buying cheaper online.

The LBS is being killed by their own fuckwittery here in Australia.

They have trouble competing with online stores because the market here is small and distance is great. That means prices are generally much higher than the US and Europe. When the AUD went $0.05 above parity (from an average of $0.75 since the early 1980s) there was no way people weren't going to buy online. That's just the way markets work.

The average LBS here are fuckwits because they are like car mechanics, often trying to get you to buy things you don't need, replacing parts without prior consultation, etc. I can buy something online and have it at my door within a few days from the US/UK. A bike store will wait until they put their next order in with the distributor and you can wait a month just for a simple new tyre or even a set of forks, etc. The distributors should also probably take a bow for the situation here as well as they corner the market and black ban anyone who tries to cut them out. Added to this is that the bike shops generally employ undertrained staff in their workshops who can do really bad quality work to your bike (look at me complaining about a fucking linkage bolt that rattled loose in an almost brand new $4k+ bike).

The LBS's here should have read the writing on the wall with online shops and opened their own shop front online asap. Focus more on face-to-face advice and mechanical in the shop but move shit online where you can match the prices from supplies like CRC, Wiggle, Jensons, etc. But they didn't, they complained, wrote whingy fucking open letters to online suppliers claiming that the online guys don't support the local scene etc. (I mod on a pretty large cycle forum where a BMX magazine wanker wrote an open letter to CRC after they applied to advertise in his rag. It was rude and full of bullshit because the online guys were under-cutting his shop. He would prefer the market to be protected and us to pay a higher price so he could have a profitable business. Funny thing is, CRC was paying for advertising space on our forum and was also sponsoring races and stuff in the local scene). Now, retailers of all persuasions in Australia are lobbying the federal govt to place goods and services (VAT) tax on all online purchases from outside the country to protect local retail industry, rather than improve their own services.

So now that the AUD has dropped back to around USD$0.90 people are remaining with online purchases. The delivery cost balances out the cost with local suppliers (when making single purchases anyway. I recently spent about AUD$120 on some riding glasses, a rear tyre - TR Minion DHR, not cheap, crank spanner, BB tool and a couple of tubes and buying online saved me at least AUD$50) but the ease of doing business with online traders is just so much simpler than in shop. The items are delivered to your door, the big retailers are most often EXCELLENT when it comes to warranty claims or lost items and you don't have to wait for the distributor to get his shit in to gear.

So I can understand the shops having to change to deal with the challenge of online retail. However, making the experience even WORSE for the shopper by charging them for trying on a shoe is moving in completely the wrong direction. I sure as fuck will not buy anything from them at all. I'll wait for a shop that allows me to try on in store, orders them online for me at a cheaper price (given that they save on warehousing costs) and delivers them to my door.

In sayin that, my LBS, Bike Culture in Canberra have been fucking excellent. If you're in CBR and need an LBS, I strongly recommend BC in Braddon and Belconnen.

In the states Amazon isn't really the main threat to the LBS, its Performance bike: the walmart of bike shops.

I would endorse this if it wasn't for absolutely dirt cheap Nashbar training tires and the Microshift brand which seems to have brought reliable indexed shifting to the handlebras at a discount rate.

If Prefomance/Nashbar was only retail/resell but rebrand resell... it' like a Pyramid

• 3 weeks later...

Just started riding clipped in. Love it.

Second ride on dirt today, doing a half decent climb, was on the switchbacks going up when I cane around a tight corner, front wheel hit a rock, I stopped dead halfway though at turn, couldn't get foot out and around a rock in time to catch myself and toppled. Would have been funny if I didn't funny bone it on a rock.

My right arm is dead to me now. Should be fine again tomorrow.

Got my quickest time on the DH section though, clipping in is fucking awesome, even if the shoes do look wanky.

Don't even know what that is, sorry mate.

Looks like I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Dude on a forum I'm on for bikes has come down with a chest infection and can't join his team for a 24 hour endurance race (prob the biggest annual MTB race in Aust). I said I'd stand if he needed it so his team didn't have to cancel. I've been low on the k's lately due to my clicky shoulder, so doing +100km with early morning laps included will already be a struggle for me.

Now, it's pissing down rain and forecast to do so for the next three days. Unfit mud-fest injury enduro.

Should be fun.