bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
why is fixed riding increasingly going towards street bmx from 5 years ago? as noted before, these guys don't even have properly fitted bikes. it irritates me. i've heard there are now fixed mountain bikes???

That's the direction it's been going for about the last 2 years - so-called fixed gear freestyle. You can credit Keo and Tom LaMarche a large part for its rising popularity. Shit is retarded.

Well, fuck it, FGF is a split in the scene, really. There's still your crusted out OG messenger that could give a fuck less about tricks and colorful wheels and rides his 3Rensho (Sharky!) for work. There's still alleycats and all that, but more and more you see trick contests alongside them whereas awhile ago it was more like foot down, bike polo and maybe a skid contest were the side events.

Oh well. Organized racing matches the rush of street racing pretty well, and with the exception of the top 1%, there aren't many messengers or street kids that can hold a candle to your cat 1/2 guys. The fastest messengers I know, in Portland at least, also race on the road, track and cross alongside alleycats and regular work, and do pretty damn well at them.

P.S. The fit that makes it easy to do wheelies and bunny hop stairs is pretty far away from what's proper for actual riding. Jam the saddle all the way forward on your zero set-back seatpost, throw a 40mm BMX stem on and get some junior BMX bars with a 650 from wheel - there ya go, "pro" trick fit.

P.P.S. The fixed mountain bike thing sprouted up completely separate from fixed gears on the street. It's basically a progression of riding single-speed 29ers. Not many people do it for very obvious reasons - when you ride narrow single track with tree stumps and rocks on both side of you, having the option of coasting means you're not going to clip a pedal.

just picked up a bianchi from some chick who converted it to a single speed, and im going to convert it back to fixed. it's totally got carbon fiber forks and shit br0

ps: that's mostly just for dow.

Leisurely 100 miler today. 2nd ride on my Cannondale and first ride on Speedplay Zero pedals. Holy shit - these pedals are awesome. Loving them for everything. Only thing I haven't tried in them is a good sprint.

Also getting used to Campy and generally a fan now. I'm about to have a real sacrilegious build though... PRO (Shimano) bars, Campy gruppo, SRAM BB30 cranks. AYHSMB.

Excited? More anxious to get that first race over with than I am excited. I've just had the last six days off the bike due to a vacation so the race should be interesting. I did keep exercising... just not on a bike, so we'll see if I can hang.

I also just found out I have to work in Boston for nine days in March and I get back two days before Piece of Cake. Bummed. Hopefully I can work something out with my coach to keep myself fit while away. I want to win that race and I don't know how many years I have left in me...