bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
The yamaguchi looks nice at a glance but I dont really understand track geo with track ends + gears. Why not get a tri-bike thats actually designed to do what it appears the expensive custom yamaguchi bike is trying to accomplish.

Uh maybe because it's a triathlon bike?

Exactly... the hip shit these days is an Italian road bike with possible aero wheel, single front ring and risers.

Holy shit. Maybe i got out and back into cycling at the right time. I officially am unhip.

No exactly.

"i wanted a road bike that felt like a track bike--sort of a reverse conversion--one that i could convert back into a track bike if the urge hit. after looking around, i hit up sachs. his wait list was long (though still on my radar for another project). i tried out some tri bikes, cyclocross bikes and road bikes. i assessed what i liked, what i disliked and what i wanted to retain from my track bikes. i factored in aesthetics and emailed yamaguchi. he understood what i was after and 3.5 months later, i had this. i designed the paint to compliment KY's sick fillets and geometry. my bike can beat up your bike."

Yeah, we know that.

The question is what model, and why they aren't on adidas.com. I like to think my Sidi's look halfway decent, but those shoes are straight flossin'.

Also, if a world class athlete is riding them, that probably means Adidas may have actually gotten their shit together as far as cycling shoes go. Normally, that would be a totally moot argument - pros get paid to ride what they ride and generally don't do it out of preference, but all contact points - saddles, shoes, handlebars, and tires, are generally still ran out of preference.

whenever i ride with shoes i wear a cheap pair of lake triathlon shoes. one strap. smashed the whole bridge pedal with em. haha. a guy passed me on the st.john's bridge hill and was like "wow, hardcore single speed." at this time, i was like "nah dog, its a fixed" and then got outta the saddle and passed him back up.:lol: :lol: shit is just fun to ride. definitely need to start riding that hill more often, feels good.

No exactly.

"i wanted a road bike that felt like a track bike--sort of a reverse conversion--one that i could convert back into a track bike if the urge hit. after looking around, i hit up sachs. his wait list was long (though still on my radar for another project). i tried out some tri bikes, cyclocross bikes and road bikes. i assessed what i liked, what i disliked and what i wanted to retain from my track bikes. i factored in aesthetics and emailed yamaguchi. he understood what i was after and 3.5 months later, i had this. i designed the paint to compliment KY's sick fillets and geometry. my bike can beat up your bike."

Hes an idiot. That's a triathlon bike. If he was smart he would've gone with Santa Cruz's bike with convertible dropouts and the same geometry. They made em for a few years, but i forget what they're called.

Well I made it. 144 miles and 3000' elevation gain, from Eugene to Portland.

Things that sucked about the ride:

-Last night I was playing basketball with my roommates in some worn ass shoes, and ended up getting blisters on the balls of my feet. Today, I could feel the blistery pain for about the first 30 miles, then it disappeared.

-I flatted in the first 15 miles... never a good sign haha.

-It was rainy for the last 50 or 60 miles, but at least the wind was in my direction mostly.

-I took a wrong turn, got lost and rode about 7 miles in the wrong direction, and my phone's GPS was doing some major failure shit. Backtracking was the only thing that got me back where I needed to be.

-I hit a pothole in the last 10 miles in Portland, in the dark. Just plain couldn't see it, and it was a nasty deep one. Somehow I didn't pinch flat (definitely should have with how bad the hit was) but did throw the rear wheel a good deal out of true, so I had to disengage the rear brake and it was rubbing the fender for the last stretch.

Cool things about the ride:

-The Williamate valley scenery in some places.

-Silverton. Pretty cool small town. The fucking Main St. turns into a 20 percent grade from downtown to residential...

-Longest ride for me yet. I was in the zone for awhile and feeling great, especially on some rolling hills with a tailwind where I was keeping my cadence above 100 in 42/11 (on the descents) and just stomping.

-Some other spandex dude wanted to race me in the last 10 miles in inner city Portland. I won. I really wanted to be like "dude, jokes on you, I've been riding the last 8 hours from Eugene" but I kept my mouth shut.

-I made a bacon jelly cream cheese sandwich to eat as comfort food over the last 40 miles and it was SO GOOD. Try one. Seriously.

-Nuun tablets are the truth. No cramps.

• Like 1

Chocula... I wish I got pics. I don't own a digital camera, and if I did, it's hard to find room to store it between spare tubes, sandwiches, air pumps and Clif bars in my jersey pockets.

Joker, can't wait for the first race. Although that short 15% grade uphill finish hits you like a ton of bricks when the rest of the course is pancake flat. I think I may ride out to Albany and preview the finish line in a week or two.

started restoring/repairing beachcruisers for all the rich white people that live on the beach. our first job was actually on a really nice early 70's steel lugged track frame that someone had put a geared back wheel onto. guy was wondering why the chain would get all fucked up when he had it in the smallest gear in the back, there was literally 0 clearance between the triangle and the chain. then fixed a bunch of flats on some beach cruisers. got 3 free beachcruisers missing various parts and made 2 frankenstein bikes out of them. made 60 bucks and got 2 free bikes over the weekend. plan on renting the bikes we got for free to tourists come summer time...

started restoring/repairing beachcruisers for all the rich white people that live on the beach. our first job was actually on a really nice early 70's steel lugged track frame that someone had put a geared back wheel onto. guy was wondering why the chain would get all fucked up when he had it in the smallest gear in the back, there was literally 0 clearance between the triangle and the chain. then fixed a bunch of flats on some beach cruisers. got 3 free beachcruisers missing various parts and made 2 frankenstein bikes out of them. made 60 bucks and got 2 free bikes over the weekend. plan on renting the bikes we got for free to tourists come summer time...

What happened to the bike you were building? I'm also trying to visualise how someone could cram a cassette wheel onto a track frame though and try to shift with it.

ive got like 5 bikes im working on haha

whats even crazier, they had a rack on the back of the bike. the nut that was on the inside of the frame that was on the bolt for the rack was literally worn almost in half from the chain hitting it. he couldnt shift out of the one gear that has eaten away at the nut and if he pedaled over 70rpm it would hit against various things. i ended up turning the bolt around, grinding down the head quite a bit because it was to be tightened with an allen instead of a crescent (so as long as the hole stayed the same you could alter the rest of the head) then i just adjusted the downtube shifters (still trying to figure out why a bike with adjustment screws in the dropouts had bosses for downtube shifters) i got it to shift and ride in every gear perfectly except for the smallest cog.

also got a old gary fisher frame someone rattlecanned that had a king headset on it and the triangle is weird as hell, the chainstay doesnt extend from the bottom bracket. instead it comes from about 4 inches up the seatpost. im thinking of putting drops, fenders, rack, and toestraps on it and selling it on craigslist as a commuter.

WTF is up with Conti gatorskin tires? All i heard was nothing but hype, yet i destroyed a brand spanking new tire in two days? Would anyone suggest a better tire for riding fixed, because if i kill a fucking tire within two days on the regular, im going back to riding road bikes.