bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

img4428r.jpg

was cleaning out my garage and pulled this baby out of 3ft of dust and cobwebs ...yep thats a

im not to shure on the exact year but around a 94' matt hoffman condor...the frame is a beast..the only thing that is low end on it are the cranks ...i have no idea what to do with it i think im gonna clean it up and see whos interested in old bmx bikes or knows. anybody ?

Rubbish...

I was not riding the new bike as I haven't gone to pick it up yet. I was on the LOOK and riding in a full LOOK kit. I had plenty of snide comments thrown my way as a result... it's amazing how cocky 17 year olds can be. First race of the year... let's get back to the old days with a race report, shall we?

Cherry Pie Road Race...

First off... the race started at least ten minutes earlier than it was scheduled to. I was lucky enough to roll up to the starting area and see some folks who I knew were cat 3's and figured I might as well stage up. Good thing I did since we rode out shortly after. Neutral start for about a mile or so and once we took that left hander the hammers were thrown. The pace picked up and the race was on. I was about middle of the pack and did not like the shakey squirrel-like riding going on in that section of the pack, so I moved up to the frontage as quickly as possible. Lots of one or two man breaks trying to form... but I have to say, if you're going to try and break away and you start to immediately look back behind you... you're not committed. This happened a lot. Actually, when I tried to bridge up to a break I eventually looked back to see if anyone came with me because I need some help... unfortunately, the whole field came with me. After a bunch of attempts from what seemed like the same individuals to get away, finally a break of about eight guys got off the front with a sizable gap. I went to the front a few times to try and pick the pace up and get some momentum going to bring the break back but it did no good. Several people tried doing this as well but nothing ever came of it. A team mate of someone in the break would be the second in line behind me (or whoever) and that would slow the pace back down because the the person third in line would pull through/around.

Then... the first "hill" came up. And like expected, I rode it like I had my brakes on. I went from the top ten going into the "hill" to being dropped with the quickness. There was the first "hill" and then the finishing "hill" shortly after. By the time I got to the start of the finishing "hill"... the main field was out of sight. That's how fast I dropped off the pace. It was ridiculous.

I bombed down the other side of the hill and tried to catch back on. I picked up a few stragglers on the way and eventually dropped them. I ended up about 20 seconds behind a group of three guys who were about 20 seconds behind the main field. I TT'd my ass off to try and catch those three guys and they just rode away from me. I was bummed. Inconsolable. All I could think of was how hard I worked over the winter and I still suck. I ended up getting caught by a few Yakima guys and a girl from Veloforma. We all worked together to get back to the finish. I ended up dropping off that group about two miles from the finish due to cramping. Rolled in 71st place.

Absolute shit. Already talked to my coach about that kinda shit needs to be addressed. I can't be getting dropped like that anytime the road goes up... this is Oregon... all roads go up!

How did your race go Jeremy? The field was riding like a bunch of cat 5's...

Well, for the first lap or so I was pretty well boxed in the middle of the pack with nowhere to move. When we hit the 2nd "hill", I cornered with the group in the centerline and made up a bunch of places getting to the front. From there, I worked with a few people chasing down a break, and then got organized into the rotating two-abreast paceline. At some point in the 2nd half of the 2nd lap, I got boxed back into the madness of five-abreast riding with no room to move up without going into gravel or past the centerline. Where I was at, the accordion effect was in full effect - I spent most of my time near the centerline, and to avoid having to grab a handful of brake when my draftee's wheel would get too close, I'd veer over the centerline a few times (and got one warning). Pack mobility was definitely hard fought in that race.

Anyways, into the uphill finish I was in a bad position in the field but knew staying leftmost would be the best option to make up places. I stood up and hammered and was surprised by how many people were seated, slow grinding up the hill. I was in the middle of a train of me and two other teammates, and then the crashes happened. I heard the carnage before I saw it, went as far left as I could to avoid it, got crashed out anyway with my teammate behind running over me and my bike and many people down in front and behind us. Just caught in the middle of it, really. My teammate in front of me, who didn't get caught up as a result of taking the right line instead of the left, got around 8th place or so.

I'm gonna take my bike to the shop tomorrow - near as I can tell, the derailleur hanger is bent and the bar tape needs replacing. Hopefully that's the extent of the damages. My friend racing on his new carbon BMC had his rear wheel fall out of the frame during the crash and somehow didn't total the frame, although the hanger is bent.

Riding like a cat 5 field is right. Last year that was my first road race ever in the 5's. This year I thought road racing would be more exciting and less sketchy... riding 5 abreast with very little mass surges to string out the entire field really didn't help that.

Sublime Sublimity favors climbers, gets a smaller turnout and the course generally means the field is going to be strung out by the first lap. I'm hoping it'll be a lot more fun, because aside from chasing down the break at the beginning of lap 2, I was bored out of my mind at Cherry Pie. I'm still by no means a great climber but I'd like to think all these winter base miles combined with losing a few lb. off my body and 4lb. off the bike have pushed me more towards being an all-arounder and away from being "just" a flatland sprinter.

Have fun at Sublime, Rubbish. I'm not paying money or spending the day getting there and back just to get dropped first run up the hill. Apparently my training is in its building stage so I haven't done any specific hill training yet, which explains why my coach wasn't all that surprised when I told him I got dropped, bad. Still upsetting though.

Sorry you crashed out. Hopefully Sublime is a better result. I'm sure the Banana Belt World Series Olympics will be a slug fest. That's usually when everyone comes out to race. Should be sketchy as shit but much more tactical. Hopefully I can get into a break and stay out there for most of the race. Ha!

Nice shot Count!

Rubbish... Piece of Cake is pan-flat. There's some nice cross winds that can jack things up if people aren't paying attention. The roads are kinda narrow but not terribly so. It's one of those races where it's best to stay in the top fifteen to twenty guys at all times. There's been some pretty bad crashes out there years past. The final left hand turn is about 200-250 meters from the finish. It's a sprinters dream. Even if you go into that turn twenty guys back... if you have the fire power you'll pass every single one of 'em. So many guys gun it from the moment that make that turn and the finish line isn't as close as they think. Most guys burn out before they get to the line. I've always been a worker-bee during that race because TAI had so many sprinters on the team. Hopefully this year I'll get to ride for myself. Although... I'll have been in Boston for nine days prior working like a dog so I may not have any energy to do anything but sit on wheels. Maybe I'll work for you!!

Kind of excited for BB to start. Signed up for the series last night. Doing Jack Frost this weekend. Hate TT's but it's better than a fucking hilly race like Sublime, for me.

Going for a coupe hours today before I hit the gym. Too nice not to ride!!

Sprinter's dream eh?

Hopefully my sprint is looking better by March because so far I haven't been that into it. But I guess riding lots of hills does that. And haven't gotten 100% into sprint shifting with Campy yet...

Bad crashes eh? I'm starting to feel like the 3's are going to be even more dangerous than the 4's of 5's... Jesus.

i was just reading some comments on the 4's & 3's being the most dangerous due to the "win it all" attitude,

whereas the 5's are told time and time again that they suck and are not "real racers", so they tend to be less agressive.

found it interesting.

i planned on riding tonight, but instead i ended up eating a huge burger, way too many fries and now i'm drinking beer.

can i call it recovery?