bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
WTF is up with Conti gatorskin tires? All i heard was nothing but hype, yet i destroyed a brand spanking new tire in two days? Would anyone suggest a better tire for riding fixed, because if i kill a fucking tire within two days on the regular, im going back to riding road bikes.

I have decent luck with mine - they're a training tire that doesn't ride like complete shit. Are you talking about for the rear for skidding, or just for flat protection in general?

For skidding, if you don't care about weight or ride quality (which a lot of fixed guys don't), get Vittoria Randonneurs or Schwalbe Marathons.

If you're looking for flat protection/ride quality, my money is still on the Gatorskins - I'd say you got a defective tire. Do you skid a lot or not? If you don't skid at all you can get away with pure baller shit on fixed gears, like GP4000's or Pro Race 3's and have them last months. If you skid..... forget it.

One caveat though. Fuck Soma Everwears.

Sounds like you just got a hoot Gatorskin.

Funny thing is, I still have the best luck with the Soma Everywhere and a tire liner. People tend to hate on them but fuck, I ride everyday and these things last forever for me. The gators I've ridden cash out in about 2 months.

Another thing that helps, as rubbish pointed out, is learning how to ride without relying as much on skidding - it will greatly increase the life of your tires.

Damn... that is an awesome photo. Cracking me up.

I've been riding the same set of Gatorskins since mid-September. I ride a lot, I ride pretty hard and there's a lot of crud on the roads here thanks to ODOT using gravel for traction when it snows. I've had three flats in four months. Considering the terrain and the time on the bike... that's a damn good return on investment.

Rubbish... did an amazing ride on Sunday with some of the HPC guys. I have no idea where we went but it was about a four hour ride that started by heading out Marine drive, through Troutdale and then took a turn somewhere over a small bridge and went uphill for a while. Then tons of big, big rollers for a few hours before we ended up at the Springwater trail about an hour outside of town. It rained the whole time but the roads and scenery were worth it. I wish I had a Garmin that day...

New bike arrived. Without pedals it weighs 14.2 lbs. I think I might be too heavy for it.

I have decent luck with mine - they're a training tire that doesn't ride like complete shit. Are you talking about for the rear for skidding, or just for flat protection in general?

For skidding, if you don't care about weight or ride quality (which a lot of fixed guys don't), get Vittoria Randonneurs or Schwalbe Marathons.

If you're looking for flat protection/ride quality, my money is still on the Gatorskins - I'd say you got a defective tire. Do you skid a lot or not? If you don't skid at all you can get away with pure baller shit on fixed gears, like GP4000's or Pro Race 3's and have them last months. If you skid..... forget it.

One caveat though. Fuck Soma Everwears.

now that i think about it, i was doing a lot of skids during the two days of tire explosion. Also washington DC's roads are so glass and debris riddled, its fucking annoying. after dodging one ginormous patch of glass, you end up riding over another.

anyone ever use these tires? http://www.fyxation.com/products

it does look a little high to be honest though... but Ive only had one bike with a quill like that and I had it lowered all the way.

so this gary fisher i found, im 99 percent sure it was stolen. spraypaint job, rear wheel is campolgno (i was surprised as shit to see that on a mtb, had bontrager jones tires on it too.) and the front wheel is some no name/no sticker wheel, shimano deore shifters/brakes/deraillers (i know its not the best but if i remember correctly its not the worst of the worst)

i stripped the paint off, gonna sand it tomorrow. took all the shifting components off, gonna convert it to a SS. gonna put some fenders and maybe a rack on it and probly some drop bars and sell it as a commuter.

Aye Bojangles, the stem looks like a nitto technomic or something. I have one on my 63cm schwinn prelude conversion. Bojangles, once you get that bike though install another break on it if it is single speed or put the break on the front if it is fixed gear. If you don't have the tools you could always go to the co-op or Freidreichs or Shaker Cycle or even Spin if you feel like it. Good luck with the bike though.

• Like 1

Rubbish... did an amazing ride on Sunday with some of the HPC guys. I have no idea where we went but it was about a four hour ride that started by heading out Marine drive, through Troutdale and then took a turn somewhere over a small bridge and went uphill for a while. Then tons of big, big rollers for a few hours before we ended up at the Springwater trail about an hour outside of town. It rained the whole time but the roads and scenery were worth it. I wish I had a Garmin that day...

Sounds like Bull Run? I wish I had a Garmin period...