bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

guess i was wrong. i wish i could edit my posts instead of starting new ones...

skid u-turns are becoming a guilty pleasure. such a nice feeling, yet such a blow to your tire threads.

likewise with subtracting the brake i had, any reckless driver that isn't paying attention to the road is surely gonna result in my downfall, yet the lessened weight and purist thought that my legs and precision in skidding are the only technique of coming to a quick stop is a strangely nice feeling.

anyone ride just single speed, freewheel? i've been thinking a nice ss w/ coaster brakes would be a really fun setup, something lightweight like a fixie but for longer rides. unfortunately my wallet / bank account doesn't agree...

i ride ss w/ freewheel.

there are a bunch of reasonably priced conversion kits out there to switch about anybike to such a set. fuck a coaster brake though, a front brake is all you need.

http://www.nycbikes.com/

http://www.excelsports.com/

a couple spots to check for good priced quality product, and a decent selection of SS parts or bikes.

lord only knows which order you'll find this in isaac.

the prices quoted to you are pretty reasonable. cogs run anywhere from $10 to $40 or so. lock rings are $10-20. you can get good wheels off ebay for under $150. www.greatdealsonbikes.com mavic cxp-22's, formula hubs. $135. solid wheels, solid hubs. can't beat it.

Cool, well then it seems like the cheapest option for me since I know nothing about bike mechanics is that I should just let them do it. What's really frustrating me lately in my life is how I don't know shit about how to work bike stuff and have no way to really learn. Every time I've tried it myself I've just gotten stuck somewhere, and all the mechanics say that they learned it from the job. The problem is I don't think I could actually get a job doing it knowing nothing. It's wack as hell.

Hopefully this ends up at the bottom and not the last page...

Issac, if your LBS is being difficult then I would find one that isn't. They can't be the only game in town. And if by chance they are, use them for the repairs you absolutely can't do on your own. Or... invest in Michael Zinn's repair book. Comprehensive with pictures. Has helped me adjust and repair ugly things like derailers and shit.

Also, don't know if you saw my post about the lights but in case you didn't...

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

That page has really good research on most of the lights available. From cheap to way over priced.

Hopefully this ends up at the bottom and not the last page...

Issac, if your LBS is being difficult then I would find one that isn't. They can't be the only game in town. And if by chance they are, use them for the repairs you absolutely can't do on your own. Or... invest in Michael Zinn's repair book. Comprehensive with pictures. Has helped me adjust and repair ugly things like derailers and shit.

Also, don't know if you saw my post about the lights but in case you didn't...

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

That page has really good research on most of the lights available. From cheap to way over priced.

if they want more than $150 for a wheel set, get em from that site. dude is fast, the wheels are hand built, and they're totally quality. formula hubs are pretty much the standard for mid grade hubs. everyone and their mother rebrands them and sells them as their own (velocity, iro, etc).

figuring shit out is really difficult. the easiest way, honestly, is just to take shit apart. until you do that, everything is just kind of greek. one thing though, don't fuck with your bottom bracket unless you absolutely have to. that shit makes absolutely no fucking sense to me, and there are so many variables. eff all that. everything else though, is really pretty simple once you understand it. in order to understand, just google the fuck out of stuff. the search at bikeforums can also give you just about any info you'd ever need. dont know if sheldon is back up yet, but his site is still pretty much the bible for fg/ss knowledge. between all that shit, and shai halud, you should be able to get everything sorted. it all starts with the rear wheel though. until you have that, you don't have anything.

any one that says Lance has takes EPO or any other performance drug is fucking idiot.

These are some guys right here who work hard and shit. German, and Russian hard bodies.

Vino's parents traded him over to a russian sports school when he was 10. 100 mile bike races. winner gets a peice of cheese and 3 slices od bread...

_41338111_vino300.jpg

vino.jpg

solancecrash03.jpg

_40418283_tdf03300_200.jpg

id=80928.jpg

p1_mcewen_0722.jpg

saw some real eye opening shit today. so i'll be descriptive about it for joker and any other portland resident:

west burnside (like our main street for you out of towners, one of the major ones atleast), 5 o clock down town traffic. im rolling to veloshop, crossing the block that the big pink is on and i see a lone bike (fixie) in the midde of the street, front rim is trashed. 10 or 15 feet behind the bike i see a guy sitting in the road with his head buried in his hands like hes crying or really upset, anyways he's just asking to be hit by a car. i'm thinking, fuck, i would be sad too if that was my bike... then i see a lady sitting on the grass with her whole fucking face bloody. just red and semi-disfigured you know. she was more in shock then anything, i was pretty in shock myself, same kind of feeling you get when you see a car flip out of control on the freeway. so i guess the guy hit the lady and somehow his bike got completely smashed in the processs? the lady said something along those lines when the ambulance came atleast. anyways, pretty shaking event.

But mine is a cateye with three LED's and its probably visable from 400 miles away but isn't helpful at all in terms of lighting the road ahead of me. Like, it kinda does, but its really not safe enough considering how fast I am going.

Another note: Where should I get a fixed hub wheel? Or should I do it myself?

Edit, that page you showed me has my light on it: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=101&subcategory=1067&brand=&sku=18639&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat:%20Front%20Lights

some lights are to be seen, some lights are for seeing..

saw some real eye opening shit today. so i'll be descriptive about it for joker and any other portland resident:

west burnside (like our main street for you out of towners, one of the major ones atleast), 5 o clock down town traffic. im rolling to veloshop, crossing the block that the big pink is on and i see a lone bike (fixie) in the midde of the street, front rim is trashed. 10 or 15 feet behind the bike i see a guy sitting in the road with his head buried in his hands like hes crying or really upset, anyways he's just asking to be hit by a car. i'm thinking, fuck, i would be sad too if that was my bike... then i see a lady sitting on the grass with her whole fucking face bloody. just red and semi-disfigured you know. she was more in shock then anything, i was pretty in shock myself, same kind of feeling you get when you see a car flip out of control on the freeway. so i guess the guy hit the lady and somehow his bike got completely smashed in the processs? the lady said something along those lines when the ambulance came atleast. anyways, pretty shaking event.

I'm sure you're aware of all the cycling related deaths and collisions that have recently happened over the last two months in the Portland area. It's been kinda freaky. This account just adds to the freakiness. My initial reaction was it was probably a guy riding a fixed gear down that short slope from 10th to 9th street and had too much speed to react or the dumb woman decided to cross the street only looking for cars and didn't see the cyclist. It's amazing how often that is the case here.

All said... I hope both come out fine. I'd rather bust a rim than bust my head.

Yesterday was the start of Portland's infamous Cross Crusade series. 798 riders registered and raced in several different categories. The highlight of the day was the Men's A race... Molly from Veloshop is so freakin' strong it's inspiring. And I think there was something like 80 racers in the Singlespeed category... which Erik Tonkin did fixed.

can anyone tell me about how hard it should be to get a cog off?

i have the lockring off and have been bouncing on the pedals but no go.

it is threaded like anything else correct? i should be going lefty loosie?

why cant shit just come off? seized seatpost and now seized cog. wtf?

thanks.

is it fixed? google 'rotafix' it will give you a how to on how to get it off. mine was a motherfucker. i was almost sure i was gonna break my frame, my chain or my hub, but eventually it worked.

if you cant find the shit, let me know and ill walk you through it.

any one that says Lance has takes EPO or any other performance drug is fucking idiot.

These are some guys right here who work hard and shit. German, and Russian hard bodies.

Vino's parents traded him over to a russian sports school when he was 10. 100 mile bike races. winner gets a peice of cheese and 3 slices od bread...

_41338111_vino300.jpg

vino.jpg

solancecrash03.jpg

_40418283_tdf03300_200.jpg

id=80928.jpg

p1_mcewen_0722.jpg

Did you see the Detergent Article? Your hardman Jan is going down for the EPO.

How the hell do you ride off 20 pounds and get in top shape in a month?

With a good chemical routine in a distant training destination.

Der.

This whole Operation Puerto shit is ridiculous. Where did you read that Jan, and I mean Jan specifically, plopped a few drops of detergent into his urine during testing? La Gazetta? L'Equipe? I wouldn't wipe my ass with those trash rags. I'm to the point now where if you're busted using performance enhancing drugs then you're out for life. Period. Not just cycling... all sports. I find it silly that there were several other sportsmen cited in the case and all of them have not been named. Some have even been cleared without being named. Yet to this day we still have no idea exactly how the stars of cycling were linked to the case. We have no idea what exactly they were using. And we have no idea when the hell all this will be figured out. As a fan... it's bullshit. Either prosecute them and let's move on or they need to keep shit under wraps until they have what they need to prosecute said riders. Why cause a scandal if you aren't sure if you really have one? I'm not saying dudes didn't dope but they haven't shown for sure that they have.

Jan didn't lose 20lbs in a month either. That's some tabloid press garbage. He started the season weighing less than he had in years. All of which he lost of several months of off season training. He was still a kilo or so overweight when he showed up in Strasbourg for the Tour but figured he'd be in perfect form by the time the second week rolled on. And Jan's weight issue is another ridiculous piece of news. Who cares what he weighs? He still shows and proves over guys twenty and thirty pounds lighter than him. He's a diesel engine. And if he has been taking the drugs... he deserves everything coming to him. Personally, I liked the guy because he seemed normal. Goes out and pops a few E pills at a club. Wrecks his Porsche. Dude was living. And still winds up second in the Tour.

I'd like to see some serious relegating in the regards to the cheating in sport here in America. Dudes are coming out and saying "yeah, I injected that shit!" and getting no suspensions even. The only way to clean shit like that up is to ban them from professional sport for life. You want to juice it up tough guy... juice it up at home in from of the mirror sport. Fuck them.

Sorry, had some time to kill...