bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well... depends on what you go for. I assume you want to go cheap since you got a generic bike. Which means you don't need performance wheels. I think your best bet is to stop by a place like Performance Bike and see the goods they offer. I'd bet you can walk away with a cheap pair of wheels that are fairly decent. You can even have them install the wheels, tighten the brakes and hook you up with a chain too. One thing you may need on top of all that is a new cassette on the back wheel. If you go bottom of the barrell it shouldn't cost much.

You have several locations in the Bay area to choose from as well. San Francisco & Walnut Creek to start.

Just a thought...

thanks joker, Im not in the bay for a while, though.

i went to an on campus shop and they gave me a quick tune up. i asked dude if he tightened the back brake because it wasnt really working at all, which he claimed he did. I just put in a set of new brake pads, and the back break still doesnt do a damn thing. Did he lie to me? or do i need to replace all the other parts of the back brake besides the pads?

excuse my lack of correct terms, but i'll try.

if you follow the brake line in either directiong, to the caliper area or to the brake lever,

right where it meets the caliper is a screw and there is also a similar screw by the brake lever.

by twisting the screw tension is given or taken away from the brake line.

the tighter the tension, the tighter your brakes.

fiddle with it and see if it does anything for you.

it should.

here's a pic i found on google of the screw...

they call it a adjusting barrel.

same difference.

brakes.gif

Man my bike's paint job is fucked up. It's a few months old, ridden a little over 1000 miles, but there's scratches and chips everywhere. I have no idea why anyone would ever want to buy a roadbike with the rear forks and downtube are painted some bright color, especially this duotone job where the base coat's yellow, so when the red is chipped away you get a nice yellow mark. Paint on those places is prime for your tires to bean it with road debree.

Seems a shame to repaint it so soon. After next summer I'm thinking PPG lamborghini lime green with the downtube and rear forks chip resistant black.

/\/\aye...

anybody know of AFFORDABLE beefy road wheels? i've been riding road for about 6 months, coming from xc and bmx and i have a very hard time not curb dropping, etc, but i'm sketch about blowing out the rims. any what are my options here? gauging up my spokes would help some, but are there real "hearty" rims out there. i mean, do the "real hardcore" messengers ride standard road wheels?

its a bike not an accessory, get a beater for commuting if your worried about paint chips.

Who the hell said I commute on this thing? That thousand miles is straight mountain climbing and those chips are what happens when tigwelded aluminum goes down a hill at 45-50 mph.

Edit: And my bike's a total fucking fashion statement. Folks just get jealous when I get my spray booth grind on.

Wow, yesterday was something else. I went into the city to meet up with some folks at love fest. Instead of walking around with the bike I locked it up to a fence next to where a bunch of cops were standing.

After thirty minutes I'm bored so I go back to my bike and it's gone. The janky cable lock's still there, cut. The cops there had doubled but were occupied with a man dieing on the ground while paramedics tried to get him on a stretcher. I walk up to one cop that's doing shit, not even crowd control, and start asking him if he saw shit. Nada.

I start walking back to my friend's apartment in North Beach, and lo and behold is a man in front of Powell Bart walking across the street with my bike. I ran across the street and jumped the crackhead for my bike. It was halarious, because I seriously believe all I would have needed to do is shout, "Help, this dude stole my bike," and everyone on that block would've jumped him whether I was telling the truth or not.

Bike's back, and I'm only out a janky cable lock. SF's too small to think you can get away with this kind of shit.

i saw a lot of bikes when i was out there. living in the TL i had bums offereing me bikes for cheap all the time (as a repeat victim of bike theft i could not oblige tho i lusted after the bikes). i'm sure they get away with it all the time, as most bikes aren't recovered. its awesome that you did. i've had no such luck. invest in a good lock. what i like to call the "nigger be good chain" ....... but seriously, you got lucky. buy a real lock.

The last place in the world I thought I would see this clowns name is in the 12OZ.

I work at that shop and I and can't seem to escape it even when I leave.

WTF.

haha, what's wrong with him? He seems to know a lot about bikes :)

On another note, I have a new bike! *applause* an old, large, yellow schwinn letour with new tires and tubes, a seat that is rock hard and gives me ass sores, and squeaky as hell brakes. Anyone else ride at night? I bought a headlight that the guy at the store recommended, I was willing to pay more for a better one I said, but I wanted to make sure it was a strong beam that would light the road. Well he lied, and it doesnt. Anyone have a recommendation?