bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Smart's just jealous I've reached the fifth and final level of sarcastic nirvana.

Anway, I'm pretty lost on how to tighten the hubs in bike rims. Sheldon Brown's a little hard to understand. I made the mistake of taking out the quick release lever of a wheel and now the wheel's a bit wobbly. How do you fix this? Are there different types of hubs? Can i fix this shit without any real bike tools?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

soup,

make friends with shai halud. he's right across the bay from you, isn't he? dude knows his shit.

whoisueth,

stuck seat posts... it may be as simple as wd 40 and twisting, but it also may be a shit load harder. worst comes to worst, a blow torch always works, but it's gonna cost you your paint job.

and maybe i just have crazy eyes, but your 'blacked out' wheel set looks remarkably silverish.

i take back my anti 46/16 comments from earlier in the week. it's growing on me.

Sheldon Brown is down and its making me crazy. I wanna read up on more shit. I have this mountain bike, and since I just bought a camera I don't think i want to buy my first road bike quite yet, plus the streets of detroit are not the smoothest..

Anyway I'd have to fix up my mb a little bit, seeks you got any words of wisdom for how to configure it ideally for long distance commute or anything like that? Not sure what I'm looking for, thats why I wanted to read up on sheldon brown articles, but its down so I'm consulting ya'llz.

i dont know shit about shit.

there are plenty of other sources on the internet. google can teach you anything you want to know. i know a couple people who ride fixed gears in detroit, and it just seems like insanity to me. the roads are complete shit and where there arent pot holes and cracks, there are fields of broken glass. just seems like a recipe for disaster. maybe it's just me though.

No, what I wrote was sarcasm. What you wrote was just wack.

Actually before you edited your post it was just you trying to dis me. Anyways.

Pertaining to bicycles, I'm buyign a roadbike for the winter, and not just for the winter, for like, as long as it lasts, so I'm looking to spend anywehre from 700-a G, yes I'm being frugle because I'm gonna need more money in the spring to update track stuff.

Anyways, I have a friend who works at a bike shop, who I could trust with helping me theoretically, but I'm starting to understand that he has new opinions over the weeks and hasn't ridden any of the bikes he tell me are good or suck and has really shitty pretentious advice. So I'm asking you guys, what's a good road bike in that price area assuming I treat it well.

If anyone has experience with any of the next bikes please input.

1. Spezialized Allez

2. Trek 1000 (Kind of don't want to get a Trek for originality purposes, but when it comes down to it, I don't give a fuck if it's a god bike, I'll cop it.)

3. Fuji 500 (I think that's the number, my friend owns one, it's real nice but too small for me to judge a ride on.)

4. Lemond Road bikes in general.

5. Giant TCR (haven't hear ANYTHING about it.)

6 Cannondale Road bikes (Recommend me one I am very interested.)

Thanks in advanced.

halabamos, you don't even know what i wrote, fucking dumbass. It was spelling error.

I have no idea what a fuji 500 is, but I rode a few Fujis in the pricerange before picking that trek 1000. I'm a little pissed tho, today my friend just copped a Craiglisted used year 2000 Trek 1000 for $400 plus Look clipless pedals and some random ass velcroe clipless shoes chipped in for free. Between bike, pedals, and shoes, she still spent half as much as I did. Her bike uses a lot of the same lowgrade components as mine too. I've got a carbon fork on her..and some nice adidas, and that's about it.

lemond's are treks with cursive on em. Trek just sends the frames with odd numbered sizes to Lemond for a different coat of paint. If you dig the 1000, but don't like the color scheme, there's the etape.

I was looking for a cheap bike that could keep up with my pro friends on some steep ass shit. This does the trick. The derailer's funked tho. It just loves do change gears on me and completly derail, no matter how much i try to align the derailer...50 miles later we're back to square one. Goodbye perfect sickening-orange paintjob.

I'll recomend it only since i rode the fujis and never liked the feel of em, not for the money, and the TCR's a better bike than mine for sure, but for twice the price.

updated flicks to follow whenever it stops raining.

the story on that seatpost goes to the tune of

weeks at a time hanging upside down with the seat tube flooded

with liquid wrench over the course of the past year

taking it down regularly to stick it in a vice and twist.

shit is in there solid.

DSCN5086.jpg.25bda90c2ae02a8328df5483cde30ba2.jpg

the pegs are ugly, it remains obvious that there should be shifters there.

and the shifters are pretty nice looking simplex, so i left em on.

also i still have all the original gear and had intended to restore it

but then got impatient and converted it so i could ride it around.

so i dont want to do anything to it that cannot be undone.

hence i havent shaved any braze-ons or hangers.

only love.

I rode a Giant OCR for two years and was really happy with it. I have never ridden a TCR but can imagine that if it's even half as good as an OCR... you're in business.

I rode a Cannondale R400 for five years as a winter training bike / commuter. I switched out all the Tiagra for Ultegra and the triple for a double. Was easliy one of the more solid bikes I've ridden. I was more comfortable on that then I was on my full carbon race bike. But I think you'll get more with a TCR unless you drop some loot.

haha.

i cant remember what im running, but it's the cheapest tire at my LBS. $14. just get something thick and heavy and you'll be fine. or, if you want to order in bulk, nashbar has some cheap tires for $9. get two or three and be set for a year. also, if you're hellbent on skidding all over the place, pick a ratio wiith the highest number of skid patches.

Gatorskins

I second this recommendation. I use these tires all winter long with some Mr. Tuffy inside between the tire and the tube and they are bomb proof. Even if I end up with a massive gash from glass or something the Mr. Tuffy saves me till I have the chance to get another tire.

Around these parts... some swear by the Specialized Armadillo. It's all a matter of preference.

Got out for four hours yesterday and gave the new cross bike a good workout. Fits really well and does the job perfectly. The disc brakes are definitely going to take some getting used to, especially when it starts raining all the time. There's no grabbing the brakes with those things... you have to ease them in. I almost found out the hard way several times.

do those of you who ride fixed really skid stop that often?

i find that if you really are hauling you can slow almost as quick without skidding,

and if you arent hauling then there really isnt any point beyond scene points.

funny story, my brother is riding home drunk one night through the gold coast

and some random rich guy yells at him to skid so he does and goes OTB onto the dome.

had me chuckling.

ive been spending some time on bike message boards lately, some of which have fixed/ss sections. i've decided that fixed gear people are complete fucking tools. either they're on some retarded 'if its not fixed it fucking sucks' shit, or they're...well, it mostly seems like that. plus, motherfuckers just have no sense of humor. i guess it's maybe just me, but all the cats i know who ride fixed are writers who hate everything and have no problem laughing at shit. these uptight motherfuckers get all fucking PC and uppity about everything. shit is annoying. thats all.

new wheels are getting delivered today. stoked.

Seeking, I think you might be mixing up just other forums in general with fixed gear forums. I just made a thread yesterday about how I hate other forums cause they are so PC and scared to argue. Not having a sense of humor is another thing too. Ever been to bikeforums.net? I just joined it and have made like two posts. I'm hoping itll be a good resource.