bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

damn i can't believe this is still up... i think it's been a year since ive been on here..

joker good to see youre still giving quality advice...

im a middle school PE teacher now so we'll see how the cross season is going to go... I hope to be able to get all my training in...

hope all is well with the rest of the cutters... keep riding hard

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

man i can't believe this is still running.. i think it's been a year or so since ive been on last

joker... it's good to see youre still giving good advice to everyone

well im a middle school PE teacher now so we'll see how the cross season is going to go... i hope i'll be able to get all my training in...

keep riding hard

Its nothing special like Smart, or Seeking. Glucosamine is sold as a dietary supplement, meaning that the drug industry doesnt need to provide any supporting evidence that it helps for it to be sold. Nonetheless, it's commonly used as a treatment for arthiritis since glucosamine later turns into a major building block in cartilage, the idea then being to take gluosamine as an aid to repair joints.

Between taking glucosamine+calcium tablets, and rest, i've noticed a difference. I can't say much more than that since it could just be the rest.

regarding fixies...

is it possible to convert any road bike to a fixed gear bike? I have two old schwinn road bikes that were given to me, i dont think either had been ridden in at least five years. I tore one completely down. the idea is to take the better parts of each and make a ridable bike. so i have been considering converting the other to a fixed gear bike. If the conversion is possible are the parts readily available? how much an i going to have to spend? and is a fixie really that much better for city riding? is it difficult to get used to riding one? and how does the slowing down stopping part work?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

pretty much anything you'll ever need to know.

depending on the drop outs (where the rear wheel attaches to the frame) theres a real good chance one (if not both) of the bikes you got will work. you'll need to strip all the gears, derailers and all that shit off the bike and either build, or just buy a rear wheel. i'd suggest just buying a whole set, since the wheels are probably 27", where as most fixed wheels are 700cc (about 6mm smaller than the wheels it's got now). stopping and slowing is just leg power. puttiing back pressure on the pedals. you can also lock up the back wheel and skid.

regarding fixies...

is it possible to convert any road bike to a fixed gear bike? I have two old schwinn road bikes that were given to me, i dont think either had been ridden in at least five years. I tore one completely down. the idea is to take the better parts of each and make a ridable bike. so i have been considering converting the other to a fixed gear bike. If the conversion is possible are the parts readily available? how much an i going to have to spend? and is a fixie really that much better for city riding? is it difficult to get used to riding one? and how does the slowing down stopping part work?

well seeking answered the other questions but. i think fixies are funnest in downtown traffic when every block is a race to beat the stoplight. with the gear ratio i have my bike in, it's pretty good for riding up hills and decent for riding down hills. going down hills is really the main thing that takes getting used to because your feet will pedal fast as hell, but if you need to slow down there's ways around it like putting a little back pressure on and riding in a slalom. doesn't work so well when there's cars in front and behind you on a busy hill. the whole not coasting thing doesn't take much effort, maybe a bit more energy at first but if i ride any other bike now i'm just used to pedaling and coasting feels 'wrong' at first. as far as long straight forward commutes on fixed gears (like 10+ miles on a bike path), i've done it and it's not so much fun on a fixed, i'd rather have a single speed for that. you know you don't have to ride a brakeless fixed, you just get way more respect if you do. but the brakeless thing does get impractical if you ride anywhere where there's traffic lights at the bottom of the hills.

Wow... CTC checks in. Glad to hear things are going well for you my friend. Hope teaching is treating you right and you can indeed get out for Cross season.

And Seeking... I'm impressed! A two wheeled monster!

Someone a page back said something about there's nothing to be gained from riding fixed. I have to argue that statement. There's plenty to be gained, if you race track or road. The two years I rode a fixed gear bike in the off season I had a stronger and cleaner pedal stroke in the racing season. I was able to spin a higher cadence at a faster pace thus saving my legs for a pounding when absolutely needed. In my case... the hills. I understand nothing gained if someone rides fixed because it's about as trendy as Jessica Simpson.

I love September... love it! It's the one month out of the year I don't have to touch my bike. After almost 12,000 miles of training and racing this year... September never looked so good.

Glucosamine is a good thing but it's only masking a real problem. Yoga or Pilates and regular stretching is really a good idea. Stretching mostly. After every ride you guys should be stretching something. Even if you were only out running errands for a an hour. Stretch. Your legs and back will thank you later when you're old and grey.

i'd been meaning to start riding forever, i just never had the means to get one. once i was in a position to, i got rid of my whip n copped a bike.

i switched chain rings last night. 48, down to 46. shit feels way too easy now, i dont like it. it's nice for starting, but i don't have the power after i get going. i think im'a have to change back.

Glucosamine is a good thing but it's only masking a real problem. Yoga or Pilates and regular stretching is really a good idea. Stretching mostly. After every ride you guys should be stretching something. Even if you were only out running errands for a an hour. Stretch. Your legs and back will thank you later when you're old and grey.

SO true. I stopped taking glucosamine for several days, and when I rode yesterday my knees were back to hurting.

In response to what you said seeking, Yeah, I seriously want to go my lifetime without buying a car, unless I ever have kids. Cheaper, more exercise, more enjoyment in traveling, not killing the enviornment. Awesome. The only other criterion is that I would need is to live in an urban area, where biking from place to place still allows time for work and fun.

oh, the joys of track stands... i just got them the other day, now they're a zen-like pleasure, when you get that sweet spot where you can just balance in place without any forward or back pedal...

skid stopping is a zen-like thing too where my mind just leaves me and goes to some higher place, but i'll be damned if it doesn't fuck your tires / chain ring / chain faster then getting hit by a car...

anyone got some of that neato fixie nerd shit down like backwards circles or side skids / swing skids? i think backwards circles are next on the agenda to try to learn...

i was doing track stands today while bored at work. i didn't think i could really do them, then i realized i could. pretty easily too. then i decided that i really don't care about them at all. i'll sit there and watch dudes waiting at lights for like 2 minutes, and i just think...man, it would take a whole lot less energy to just stand there and put your foot back into the cage when yo start riding. i guess some people need to show off though.

skidding is another thing i just dont really get. i'll do it when i need to stop, and occasionally i'll even do it when simple back pressure would suffice, but as far as being a 'sweet' activity, worthy of contests and such...i don't know, i guess i'm just too old. it's fun and all, but it's sort of fun in the same way that it's fun to dive and catch a baseball - cool to do once in a while, but if i did it every 5 minutes, i'd be like 'fuck, i hate diving for baseballs'.

skidding to the side, or whatever name you gave it, isn't difficult. i learned by accident. remember how you'd do 'power slides' on your bmx bike with a coaster brake when you were a kid? basically the same thing. just put a little more weight on your back foot, a little less on your front, kinda push into it, and shift your body's weight so its leaning opposit of whichever way you want to skid.

i like cars. they make life a fuck of a lot easier in most situations. right now im ok with riding a bike and knowing girls with cars.

**none of that was to counter rubbish heaps feelings, just sharing my feelings on the subject. i'm certainly no authority on what's cool and fun in regards to bikes.

I love cars. LOVE them. The speed, the recklesness of our nation connecting every man's home to mine by road, the challenge of driving on the freeway with metal cookie sheets under the back tires of a front driven toyota... my favorite was my old sixteen year-old bmw sport sedan that would do 135 from SF to LA and back on just five tanks of gas.... yeah...

I'm stickin to bicycles for as long as I can before getting sucked into cars again with this project of building my own car, starting with building a steel chassis in my MIG welding class. Bikes are dope and as far as all the folks on their fixies skidding their gatorskins away on the streets or parkinglots, go for it kids. A sports a sport, and that's all we have separating us from the emo fags locked in their rooms caught up in their own drama of having shit to do besides play dressup.. so maybe there's a few other differences between them and us, but if any of those kids bought a bike or a soccer ball even, and committed to learning the sport, their lives would be better for it.

I need to stop staying up late after drinking.