bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Well, not much. I am on a super limited budget. Yeah. Super limited. Are you ready? $200 (TOPS). I posted on craigslist and got one offer for a used Schwinn Le tour, good condition, brand new tires and tubes for $150. I brought it down to $100 and it might be a deal when I get back in town. Not sure yet though. What's the deal with those old style shifters? Are they a bitch to use? I mean the ones that are just two levers on the front of the top tube. I'm sure I'll make due.

The other thing is I need a large frame cause I'm 6'5".

I see good deals on tall frames all the time.

The Le Tour is a decent commuter. I wouldn't do any long-distance riding on it, however.

I'd be looking for something like an old Miyata, Univega, or Fuji touring bike. There's tons of them out there...you probably want to find a 62 cm frame.

If you want to measure a frame, get a metric tape measure, and measure the distance between the center of the crank bolt to the center of the seat lug (or the center of the top tube, if there's no lugs). This is the center to center height measurement.

Also, look for old Suntour parts. Thewy last forever with minimal maintenance.

the latest incarnation of the other woman.

bianchi.jpg

i would prefer not to have the alter on there,

but it adds about five degrees of rise to

a reach that is otherwise just a bit too long.

also the cover on my saddle is coming unglued

through the love channel, any suggestions?

only love.

I finally got a shot of the Eisentraut. I put a Cinelli Unicanitor saddle on there because I was too paranoid about something happening to the Swift. It's a lot more comfortable than it looks...and, it's fast as fuck, too (when it's tuned right). Right now it's about 80% in tune...and, I'm lazy.

I still don't have any shots of the Expedition, though. LENS has expressed an interest in buying it....so, I may let it go, since I have another touring frame that's closer to my size. That, and I'm moving, and I don't ride as much 'cross as I used to...plus, the Eisentraut does okay on trails, believe it or not.

camp-002.jpg.cc5b096d0f06539657b28e543e50da22.jpg

swedish, given what i have gathered of the rest of your fleet

i would say you might be slumming it with the bianchi.

that said i have no complaints about it.

its a quality proletarian pista.

i think its a good looking frame. i keep seeing it places, which to me, along with my lack of flow, is a sign from god that i should buy it.

track bike is on my next agenda for sure, though. i'm fucking sick of commuting on garbage bikes.

volvo.jpg

Already been posted butt-fuck-it.

An older flick, not much has changed except i got toe clips and some dope blue grips. And i spilled a fair amount of purple ink on the fork/front wheel from a drunken ride of dancin n graffin

Edit - my crib was dirty. And the front shock is nice.

I finally broke my old cannondale mtb bike and those fuckers refused to warranty it. Luckily I ended up trading a former teammate a front wheel, left brake lever and a brake for a four year old or so Specialized Hard Rock. Homie was looking to down size and wanted to build a fixie. Right spot...right time.

kudos on the Eisentraut, you got to fill is in on how you came across it.

i know a well respected shop owner who touts eisentraut as the best american builder bar none.

i'd love to get my hands (and feet) on one.

I finally got a shot of the Eisentraut. I put a Cinelli Unicanitor saddle on there because I was too paranoid about something happening to the Swift. It's a lot more comfortable than it looks...and, it's fast as fuck, too (when it's tuned right). Right now it's about 80% in tune...and, I'm lazy.

I still don't have any shots of the Expedition, though. LENS has expressed an interest in buying it....so, I may let it go, since I have another touring frame that's closer to my size. That, and I'm moving, and I don't ride as much 'cross as I used to...plus, the Eisentraut does okay on trails, believe it or not.

Nice Bianchi Euth, probably one of the hottest in Chicagoland, mainly because everyone has one and yours is the only dope one. I really like that stem.

On a question note tip: I ride a fixed gear right now, I ENJOY riding it more than a road bike but it's no secret road bikes are faster, I'm going to cop a 15 cog for my ride so I can max out at a little higher speed for a while, but I'm considering buying a road bike for the winter, for speed and effectiveness reasons (I will still ride my fix, but I will update it's conditions, give it paintjob, work on that shit a little.) So let me ask you guys, what's a good roadbike you recommend for under let's say...800? I don't need anything extremely fancy, just a good winter bike, and probably a long ride or fast ride bike in the future.

During the winter after the road purchase I will also probably begin the bank account for the track bike I PLAN to race with. Friends pushing me toward a Cinelli frame, my dad says Cinelle frames these days are probably load of crap.

Anybody heard anything about any of the following. Bareknuckle, De Bernardi, Fuji (Pro), or the Trek T-1 shitkicker. Any other recomendations will be nice, no price limits, I want a good track frame.

Hablamos...

Depending on your weather situation in the winter months, you may want to consider a Cross Bike. The good thing about a cross bike is you get a smaller gear ratio to keep those legs spinning which is key for racing in the Spring and Summer months. Gear mashers tire quickly. With a cross bike you'll get the feel and ride of a road bike but with enough wheel clearance to add full fenders to keep you that much more dry on wet days. And you can even put brake levers on the tops of your handlebars making that easy winter ride on the tops a little more relaxed. I highly recommend Cross bikes for winter rides but I'm also from a very wet winter climate. So it makes sense for me.

Another good thing about Cross bikes... you can usually get them for pretty cheap. I think the Redline Cross bike is around the price range you mentioned.

If you want a true road bike then I would suggest something along the lines of a Lemond, Soma, Fuji, Masi, Giant... anything along those lines is going to sell a road bike in that price range that will do what you need it to. Just keep in mind that fenders are more of a pain in the ass to mount if you need to do so. Unless you go with the non-full coverage options, which obviously don't keep you as dry and the full fenders.

Just a few ideas...