bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Went on the search for a new winter training bike. I test rode about fifteen bikes man. The one I liked the most is the Cannondale Optimo Disc but it was kinda heavy even for a trainer. But the idea of disc brakes is more appealing due to the winter wet climate here. I go through about four sets of brake pads per winter due to the wetness. Shit just eats up brake pads.

I'm still on the hunt though in the hopes that something will grab my attention... so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all eyes. Has to be a Cyclocroos frame & fork but complete bike.

7XR2C_bbq.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ya know, i dont know why the hell i went with 46. i think maybe i forgot what you said. we talked about two different ratios. screw it, i'll just get another one. shit was only $13 anyway.

joker,

that bike looks exactly like you; black and rugged.

seeks/that was a 'just kidding'.

...the idea of disc brakes is more appealing due to the winter wet climate here. I go through about four sets of brake pads per winter due to the wetness. Shit just eats up brake pads.

I ride the Hayes HFX9's and I LOVE my discs, impervious to weather and always predictable. If I had to think of something negative to say it would be that the front kinda floats arount inside the calipers (I'm talking millimeters) and sometimes they will rub on the shoe. After 3000+ miles, however, I have never actually felt an increase in resistance so it's more like a distracting noise and it usually goes away after a corner. At the 2K mark I bought replacement pads but I have yet to put them on and the old pads show no sign of deterioration, so I got that going for me.

The only thing is, I don't know if they salt the roads out where you are... might increase the wear and tear but from my experience, dirt, wet, whatever, they just keep on clampin'.

Well... I took the plunge and went with the Cannondale Optimo Disc. I lucked out too. I was out test riding the 2007 model and when I got back in the sales person told me he had a new 2005 model in my size if I was interested. It retailed originally for $250 more than the version I was buying. Why is that lucky? Because it came with full Ultegra, except for the cranks, instead of the 2007 model which comes with Tiagra and 105. I love the matte black of the 2007 model but the one I got is red and black... same as my team colors. So double score. I'll be taking it out for a decent ride tomorrow to see just how well it rides. I know one thing for sure... it's going to be nice to be able to stop within a few feet instead of twenty to thirty feet when it's wet out. Not to mention I'll save money on brake pads and rims.

One thing that will be hard getting used to... brake levers on the top of the bars. Kinda weird, kinda cool.

Oh yeah...

Swedish, The Blue frame and fork costs as much as the whole bike I just got. I'm not made of money dude!! I can't be dropping $1300 and then have to shell out another $1100 for a group... and then wheels, tires, seat and pedals.

I'm Joker, not Twist.

i haven't posted in this forum in months, and thus i'm hopping to this conversation late.

there is a lot to be gained from riding fixed for training purposes. specifically that of cadence.

however, the posts i've read here make braking a fixie sound like a coaster brake, just push back. yeah, if thats your technique have fun w/ arthritis and blown knees. its fun. a novelty, but just put a fucking freewheel on it if you live anywhere hilly. your knees are priceless, being cool, true, pure, whatever, is not. i know 2 kids who can no longer ride bikes (former messengers), let alone a plethora of other activities, because they fucked their knees up. if you're bent on riding fixie, put a front brake on.

ride single speed if you're bent on being pure. or fuck it. ride 20s to be pure. ha. freewheels and brakes for the win

KOM KOM KOM KOM KOM KOM

Alright... I've got to get this off my chest and I know I'm going to be leaving a few people out because a few people on here don't really pay much attention to the Pro Tour or bike racing in general. Anyway...

Frankie Andreau should be banned from commentating or reporting for magazines on anything to do with cycling. That guy is a boob. In a recent article in the New York times he admitted to taking EPO in the 1999 Tour De France as well as several other races. First of all... what does he have to gain from bringing this information to light now? Nothing. He claims it's because he wants to clean the sport up. Uh, clean it up by admitting you were dirty when you rode? Doesn't make sense. He also testified against Armstrong in saying that he saw him take performance enhancing drugs during his comeback years, which Armstrong never tested positive for or admitted to doing.

I'm not an Armstrong fan. Not one of those guys who wears the yellow band and rides around in my Postal kit and Trek bike because Armstrong is a legend. Yeah, he was an amazing cyclist who rode well for the Tour. He brought the world of racing and recereational cycling to the forefront in America like Lemond did back in the 80's. And his fight against cancer is amazing. But as a person I think the guy is an arrogant ass. Not a fan.

However, Frankie is one eye twitch away from going nuts... it seems. Why would he willingly go to the New York Times and tell them he took drugs during Armstrong's first Tour win? To implicate that maybe Armstrong did too since they were on the same team? It's bullshit. The guy is a has been and he's trying to hang on to what little fame he has. (trust me, I know) Supposedly there was another former Postal rider who also claimed he took EPO during the same year and the same Tour, only he chose to stay anonymous because he still works in cycling. Jonathan Vaughters maybe? If so... I would be crushed because that guy was one of those riders who rode his heart out for a team mate. And now he works as DS for TIAA-CREF and seems to be doing a damn good job. If he used EPO that shit would be scandalous.

Sorry... had to vent to "someone" who understands where I'm coming from.

It would makes sense if it was Vaughters. Vaughters has said since day one with CREF that he wants to give these riders every advantage they could get without doping. Vaughters is a good guy. He is doing a lot for not only young professionals but also junior racers. He even showed up at nationals to support his junior team.

As for Andreu, maybe this is why he lost his DS role at Toyota. I think its cool that he came clean, however i think this kind of shit is the truth about doping that people want to hear, but dont want to deal with.

Honestly i could care less. Andreu is nothing but chicken shit in the world of cycling. Annoying reports on OLN, ect ect.

I'm not really an Armstrong fan, I'm impressed by what he did but... yeah, I read this last night. I was already thinking Andreu was an idiot, this is just more confirmation.

"I did make a couple of bad choices, but that was a long, long time ago," Andreu was quoted as saying in the newspaper... It's not something to be proud of. I did use EPO, but only for a couple of races. I tried my best never to use performance-enhancing drugs."

Tried his best? Only a couple of times? How come nobody is talking about the billion dicks he DIDN'T suck?

Although both riders confirmed they never saw Armstrong taking banned substances, Andreu testified in 2005 along with his wife Betsy that Amstrong admitted to using EPO, growth hormones, testosterone and cortisone. The Texan is said to have received these in October 1996 from a doctor of the Indiana University Hospital.

"There's always going to be the guy who denies and denies that he's ever used something," said Andreu.

*but if you say it in the media enough times then the truth about whether or not the 'guy ever used something' becomes irrelevant because the guy's image has been successfully poisoned...

"Nobody really knows what that guy is really doing when he goes home and closes the door."

hmm. you look remarkably like every dude i hate. weird.

Yeah I hate myself too, but if I'm gonna wear tye dye, as mind as well own it..

And

by own it I mean carry a big as fucking stick around and then ride through Chicago rush our traffic with it, give me some eprops man.

hey now. dont hate, procreate.

the white lady still has a seized seatpost, but i put a blacked out SS wheelset on her.

whiteladyrail.jpg

updated flicks to follow whenever it stops raining.

ps - anyone know anything about metalergy (sp?).

steel frame plus what i would imagine is an aluminum seatpost

plus water in the flutes may mean permanent bonding no?

steel frame plus what i would imagine is an aluminum seatpost

plus water in the flutes may mean permanent bonding no?

no... vice grips, wd-40 and twisty type action... also, try opening up the slot in the seat clamp and seat tube w/ a big flat head screwdriver and some twisty type action as well...