bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, Ko SprueOne said:

This happened on my way home from a ride to the store.

Cable broke at the paddle shifter for the rear derailleur. I heard a crackle sound then pop.

The positives: It already shifted into the gear and not halfway in between gears. I was in the alley, away from traffic. Made it home safely.

broke_paddle.jpg

rear-deraileur.jpg

Wd40 yo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ko SprueOne said:

This happened on my way home from a ride to the store.

Cable broke at the paddle shifter for the rear derailleur. I heard a crackle sound then pop.

The positives: It already shifted into the gear and not halfway in between gears. I was in the alley, away from traffic. Made it home safely.

broke_paddle.jpg

rear-deraileur.jpg

I once had my gear cable snap on the first lap of a 24hr race.

18 minutes ago, Ko SprueOne said:

How did you recover from that? Were you just out of the race at that point or was it like a pit-stop? Got it replaced then back in action?

Luckily enough we were a team entry so I just had to finish that lap and tap the next rider. But, it was half way around a hilly 20km course. I could ride the downhills as it was stuck in the highest gear but I had to pick the bike up and run the rest. I was on a Trek Remedy, about 12kg that, fortunately fits pretty well on my shoulder.

• Like 1

Maybe. maybe meaning that there is a local community bike shop/shop.

I could pay the training course to instruct bicycle mechanic students on how to replace the cable, so they do it.

I'm a member there so I have unlimited stand time which includes tool access and usage. 

I could pay one of the volunteer mechanics there to replace it so the $ goes right back into the operation for support.

Still deciding on this approach.

And that is the Trek right there in the workstand, at the race where I snapped the cable, right there in that pic^^

Fortunately there was also a bike shop set up in camp and I Was able to buy a new cable and fit it for the rest of my laps.

I really miss those races, great fun but they don't exist anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, delv said:

Any of y'all ride mountains/trails? Considering a mid-level bike and wondering what to look out for. Do I need dual suspension? I'm a noob to mountain's.

My recommendation is to get something used from a local bike shop. you can get some absolute steals like this. 

Then,

-your cost of admission is super low (couple hundred for a bike vice $1k)

-you have a relationship with a local shop right out the gate and some where to go for any repairs/issues/questions

-you will be sure to get a bike that’s your correct size 

-support local business 

to answer your question, dual suspension unnecessary unless you’re getting into some gnarly shit, which it doesn’t sound like you’ll be doing at all since you’re calling yourself a noob. Look for something with suspension fork and disc brakes and you should be money. 

don’t go cheap on a helmet if you’re gonna be on trails. Set aside $100+ for one and wear it every time you’re out. 

have fun

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@KILZ FILLZ I should clarify that I'm a confident experienced rider of track/fixed gear and BMX. I recently went down a mountain using a borrowed bike and am hooked. Though, dropping $5k (AUD, I'm in Australia) for a dual suspension bike is out of the question and budget. I'm after something that is built well and will last me fanging it around. I'll likely do dumb shit on it and either fuck myself or the bike up (or both).

I guess from my BMX experience, I fuck up cheap wheels, so I'd want a solid wheel setup. I'm comfy with front only suspension, but know nothing about em. I'd want disc brakes and the ability to add touches like the raise/lower seat shit (I used a mountain bike recently with one and it blew my mind).

I don't know if we have bike shops doing secondhand bikes here, as its' not something you see often. However, I'm happy to grab secondhand off FB/eBay etc and work with a local BS going forward. However, perhaps there is a secondhand mountain bike scene in Australia through local bike shops....I'll take a look.

Any brands to check out or steer clear of?

• Props 1

@delvif you want the Gucci shit, go Santa Cruz. If you want a sleeper with solid ass components that’s kind of a no name except for those in the know, go Canyon, Ghost or Salsa. If you just want something solid as fuck that gets the job done, trek, specialized, cannondale etc

that seat thing is called a dropper post and you can install yourself later down the road. 

full suspension is fun as fuck even if your running around town on pavement. If that’s what you like go for it. I had one before it was stolen 😢 

Also- 

my current bike has hydraulic disc brakes. They are awesome and stop on a dime. But If I’m ever out and have a brake failure I’m pretty fucked. In my personal opinion, aim for disc brakes that use cable. Can always have some length of cable in your pack for a breakdown. Disc are good for MTN tho because If you go thru mud or puddles the moisture doesn’t corrupt your stopping power. Not the same for rim brakes in those conditions. I’m more of a roadie than a mtn guy tho others here are prob more informed on the mtn shiz.  @delv

Pushed it on a tire that I knew was worn.  Lucky I was about 10 mins into the ride, not too far for my wife to come and pick me up. Had 2 cyclists pass me, both stopped, one guy on a motorcycle stopped and one police SUV cruiser that completely ignored me.  ACAB. 

Now running a pair of Conti GP 5000’s - by the by, they were a fucking bitch to get on the bead.  Tires did not want to stretch at all. 

BC022030-CB0F-46C2-A276-40CC54C4C2EB.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very jealous.  I had to replace my rubber after wearing them out, and I don't know wtf is going on but my rear wheel is not having this new tire.  Or maybe I have a flat spot or something, but my last 3 rides have resulted in a flat each time with a dead tube.  No issues with my front, rolls real nice, but my rear feels like it has a 'dead spot' - tried to sort this out myself but I think I need to have the LBS mechanic look at the wheel for me.  

• Like 1

@delvwhat kind of riding are you intending on doing? Just downhill, or half-day rides covering good distance, will you be doing just as much uphill as downhill, etc?

You can get some great deals second hand, try the Rotorburn forums for advice and sales.

I ride a Trek Remedy. It's getting long in the tooth now as it's 13 years old, but it's bomb proof and pretty light for how robust it is. I go both up and down on it and it has just as much travel, front and back as my first ever downhill bike had, which is 5 inches.