bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Persian, talk to the guys at bike works, they all seem like good folks to me. I donate bikes there when I come across em. Those are called friction shifters, and while the new style may be easier to shift with I find that friction shifters are easier to maintain.

Get yourself a pair of pedals and clip in shoes, does not need to be anything to fancy.

Be sure to get proper lighting for your bicycle as well.

There is a definite learning curve to riding road bikes in the city, be cautious at first. Be predictable to drivers and all that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
you sir sound hella self conscious right here....

I do not mean how I would look to others but how I would feel, kind of like when you are walking up stairs that are too short so you have to take little steps. Or like when you are taking a shower with one of those detachable heads that will not fit right into the thing so you gotta hold it with one hand the whole time, know what I mean?

Persian, that is the sort of riding that sounds safer but a lot of times ends up being more dangerous. What will happen is you will find a nice sidewalk along a busy street, there will be no peds so you can get your clip up. Then you will roll across a driveway cut right as a car is jumping into it, the drivers check sidewalks for peds but bicycles move much faster.

I think that basic clip in pedals are a must if you are planning on using a bicycle as a major method of transportation. Not to sound like your mom but a helmet is a must also. My father went endo a couple years back and broke his neck. The helmet was all shattered into like 8 pieces which really shows ya how much better it is to have a busted helmet than head.

Of course it is not a must, but it will enhance the experience dig. Broadband internet is not a must, we could rock on dial up but....

Yo any of you bike peoples...

ive been wanting a new 10speed (or fixed gear) due to the fact that mine is on its last leg.

Are there any decent ones within the $300-450 range that youd suggest?

props and all that jazz will be given.

thanks brahs

Well I can see that you are in The Land of The Heartless, so check out Shaker Cycle. You should be able to find a decent bike in there for 350-450. I don't know how new it will be, but it definitely will not be a piece of shit.

• Like 1

the fixie trend has most definitely gone away in my city

i can really tell, because every time i visit my dad inthe 'burbs about an hour away, i see a gaggle of 16 year olds on fixies in his neighborhood

it'll prolly never die in SF. it's like you get off the boss and your hair instantly grows in front of your face and someone hands you a fixie and a bump of coke.

i can't wait til the weather improves. i think i'ma do more riding this year. the allure of having a car again has totally worn off. i still want a messenger bag i can put my dog in though.

i haven't been active much, but i've been only walking stairs and i've noticed an improvement in stamina. going for my first acupuncture appointment later this month, REALLY hoping that improves the joint and muscle pain that's been building for the past 2 years..

this has sorta been answered already but..

Most drivers here are assholes. I plan to do a lot of riding on the sidewalk whenever possible.

Clip in shoes? Will I really need those? Why can't i just use regular shoes for regular pedals?

i've ridden fixie for about 11 years and have basically refused to get shoes that clip in (also called 'clipless' gatdamn sorta misnomer)

i hate bike shoes, and i ride to work and don't want to change.

so i use these

i do NOT race. but it's always worked

(some of my messenger friends have laughed at me over the years but fuggit)

Bicycle_pedal,_quill_type,_early_1980s,_Campagnolo_SL_road.jpg

that said, my new balance fit in there just perfectly. luckily i have ten pairs or so

i have one pair of nikes, and they don;t go in there very well at all.

they also make slightly bigger, more cumbersome ones.

20090219_062637_toeclips.jpg

i felt crazy riding in traffic when i first started.

i got over it really quickly

riding on sidewalks can be worse, i have knocked glasses off of a restaurant table and slammed into a pedestrian.

oops.

i will say this...if you are not somewhat in shape...and havnt been riding lately....hopping on a fixed gear for the first time is not easy.

+5 for that.

before xmas it was 150+ miles a week which isnt that much but more than your average schmoe on a bike. didnt ride a bike for 2 months got a new bike and UH OH im exhausted after 20 fucking miles.

went for a 25 mile or so ride that first night and i was dead tired when i got home.

thanks rubbish -- i'll def pick some of that stuff up.

____

riding on sidewalks is retarded - someone is bound to get hurt.

learn to ride a bike at speed (with traffic) or stick to the 'multi-use paths'.

i hate it when im with someone and they spend 50% of the time on a sidewalk. what the fuck. we have mad bike lanes here so riding in the street isnt really a problem. makes no god damn sense.

ive been hit by cars riding on sidewalks because they arent looking.