The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

stumbled across this dude in the most recent fortean ties. Diddnt read the article; I saw it at my friend's house. I need to read the article. I felt quite compelled to share. I'd consider buying a large-format print of one of these pieces.

(from wikipedia)

"John Martin (19 July 1789 – 17 February 1854)"

John_Martin_-_Pandemonium_-_WGA14149.jpg

PANDEMONIUM

John_Martin_-_Sodom_and_Gomorrah.jpg

Sodom and Gomorrah

John-Martin-Seventh-Plague-of-Egypt-1823-painting-artwork-print.jpg

Seventh Plague of Egypt

Martin+18.jpg

hope it hasnt been posted yet

wish i could find better quality pictures,

• Like 1

for real i was enjoying that for a couple of days now its a no go

and in response to the Sebastien Verdon post. Ive always been curious how A: the large installation artists even get the chance to do a show and B: How they make money off their work, or if that is even possible.....

I mean Im sure if you gave me a huge space to run a muck in I could probably dish out some "inspiring" stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that on Tumblr yesterday. I was thinking about how it reminded me of some of the early 20th century Futurist sculptures:

Umberto Boccioni

the_unique_forms_of_continuity_in_space.jpg

Unique Forms of Continuity in Space

Basically, his ethos was looking to the continuity of moments in time as understood through a full experience. I think it's interesting how this sort of work was being done after the turn of the century, and what I feel was in parallel with much continental philosophy being done on the nature of experience in time and space. Specifically Henri Bergson, who, along with Boccioni, express themes which hint at the soon to come theory of relativity by Einstein. The notion of viewer, the subjective nature of measurement, and the perceptual frame as primary to understanding the nature of universal events.

• Like 1

hot damn, i just happened to find this dood

drawing.jpg

Kris-Kuksi-The-Art-of-The-Macabre-4.jpg

kuksihouse201af7.jpg

sculpture-kris-kuksi-03.jpg

fuck yes church tank

Kris-Kuksi-The-Art-of-The-Macabre-6.jpg

“A post-industrial Rococo master, Kris Kuksi obsessively arranges characters and architecture in asymmetric compositions with an exquisite sense of drama. Instead of stones and shells he uses screaming plastic soldiers, miniature engine blocks, towering spires and assorted debris to form his landscapes.The political, spiritual and material conflict within these shrines is enacted under the calm gaze of remote deities and august statuary. Kuksi manages to evoke, at once, a sanctum and a mausoleum for our suffocated spirit.”

~ Guillermo del Toro

http://kuksi.com/

• Like 3