The innovative style thread

Vlad

Graffiti can be anything, as long as it's illegal. Whether you can read it or not who really gives a fuck. Some people need to be more open minded about things. I mean, guessing your american, do you consider futura's whole cars to be graffiti? Try not to be so ignorant.

Sick thread.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEE THATS WHAT I MEAN I KNEW WHAT I SAID WOULD BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY OR REPLIED TO BY SOME IDIOT FROM FRANCE OR SOME SHIT..

LOOK MAN ""GRAFFITI"" YOU WANT TO BE SMART ASS ABOUT IT LOOK IT UP FUCK ITS AN ENGLISH WORD DERIVED FROM LATIN GRAFFITO WHICH MEANS TO WRITE ON THE WALLS

WRITING IS WORDS DIPSHIT NOT SYMBOLS SYMBOLS AND MISC. COLORS ARE "ART" NOT WRITING!!!

CASE FUCKING CLOSED.

AND IF YOU REALLY READ WHAT I TYPED YOUD SEE THAT I SAID I ENJOY ALL THE SHIT THAT IS HERE ITS GREAT BUT DONT CALL IT GRAFF INNOVATION BECAUSE GRAFF IS LETTERS.

ALAMO IS DOPE AND WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU MAKING ROLL EYE FACES AT YOU LITTLE WOODBRIDGE NEW JERSEY FAGGOTROOPER???

YOURE NAME IS BRONX BUT IN THE NY THREAD YOU ASKED WHERE A PICTURE OF A SPOT IN THE BRONX WAS AT ..

YOU ARE A FUCKING FAGGOT IN THE REALEST SENSE GO GET TO A BATH HOUSE AND CATCH AIDS ALREADY!

Guest beardo

*stopping short of picking your posts apart bit by bit.. a few more pressing points*

as it pertains to my work, i totally agree with your first couple comments.

i had issue with this:

I THINK OF IT LIKE THIS.IF YOUR GOAL WAS TO PAINT A STILL LIFE PAINTING OF ANYTHING AND YOU THREW SOME PAINT AT A CANVAS AND SAID ITS YOURE PERSPECTIVE ON SAID SUBJECT..THATS COOL IT MAY LOOK GREAT BUT IT ISNT A PAINTING OF SAID SUBJECT. GET WHAT I MEAN?

cus its just a poor comparison. no one here is trying to emulate anything already in existance (which is the major flaw of graff.. damned if you do, damned if you dont). second, thinking of graff as a static entity is just wrong man. isnt graff supposed to be about doing your own thing by design? you dont have to like it, which i give you props for illustrating so far in a positive way.

and woa, i just reloaded and caught this..

..BUT DONT CALL IT GRAFF INNOVATION BECAUSE GRAFF IS LETTERS.

hence- innovation, it became something more or incorporated new ideas than your typical 'graff'. it (mine) still goes by the rules of graff lettering (which is what separates the men and the toys), some people just add even more rules and concepts on top of it all.

you seem to live by the idea that graff is vandalism and little more, which is fine. i just wouldnt peg everyone else for having the same mindset. there are still plenty of pretty out there real graff writers who do all the hardcore illegal shit you like, it just doesnt look like graff 1980.

i really like the direction of this thread. if i was on high speed net id go find a bunch of flicks i thought were innovative.

SELF EXPRESSION IS HORSESHIT GRAFF IS LETTERS YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE ITS ABOUT FAME FAME BECAUSE IT STARTED IN THE GHETTO IN NYC WHERE IT IS HARD TO STICK OUT SO YOU WRITE YOUR NAME ON A WALL OR TRAIN TO STICK OUT FROM THE PACK.

NOW THAT GRAFF IS THE TREND OF THE MINUTE YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO WILL PAINT ANYTHING TO STICK OUT FROM THE ONES TRYING TO STICK OUT GET IT NOW MAN?

CASE IN POINT NECKFACE!

AND TO BEARDO LIKE I SAID MAN I LIKE TO LOOK AT YOUR WORKS AND WHANOT BUT IT ISNT GRAFF MAN SORRY.

I SUPPOSE IM IGNORANT. BUT LOOK AT IT THIS WAY IF YOU ARENT BOMBING YOU ARE USELESS TO THE GRAFF MOVEMENT HENCE YOU ARE MEARLY AN ARTIST WHO HAPPENS TO ENJOY USING SPRAYPAINT AS A MEDIUM AND WALLS AND A PLATFORM.

INNOVATIVE LETTERS?

LETS SEE WHAT COMES TO MIND?

BORN (ATALANTA)

SHARK(NEWJERSEY)

LEE

SOME SETUP SHIT

ALOT OF THE OLD SCHOOL CATS TOO

SEEN BACK IN THE DAY AND TODAY.

GHOST.

THERE ARE A BUNCH...

THE WHOLE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT THE SPIRIT OF WRITING HAS TO EXIST IN YOUR WORK YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMEWHAT READABLE LETTER STRUCTURE OTHERWIZE ANYONE COULD DO ABSTRACT IMPRESSIONISM ON A WALL WITH SOME RUSTO AND MONTANA AND CALL IT GRAFF...

BIG BLACK YOU'RE FULL OF DOG SHIT. THAT'S D-O-G-S-H-I-T. DON'T TELL ME WHAT GRAFF WAS IN 1972, THIS IS 2003. THA'TS LIKE JERKING OFF TO A PLAYBOY FROM 1961 AND FRONTING LIKE YOU KNOCKED IT DOWN WITH THAT SLUT JESSICA SIMPSON, SHIT AINT QUITE THE SAME. IF YOU WANT TO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK GRAFF IS, THAT'S FINE BUT DON'T GO MAKING GENERALIZATIONS ABOUT WHAT AN ENTIRE MOVEMENT OF ART IS ABOUT BASED ON YOUR NARROW VISION.

AND FOR THE LAST GODDAMNED TIME IT ISNT ART IF ITS REAL GRAFF BUT THEN AGAIN IVE NEVER SEEN YOU OUT ON THE STREETS PUTTING IN WORK SO FUCK IT WHATS THE USE. NO ONE THAT IS ON THIS BULLSHIT SITE KNOWS WHAT REAL GRAFF IS YOU FAGGOTS JUST SIT HERE AND LOOK AT SHIT ALL DAY AND DROP PROPS AND SHIT..

12OZ WANNA BEEZ FOREVER!

Just because you can't see Kema letters or Joker letters doesn't mean that it's bad. Look a little less harder, you eventually become able to pick out the odd 'k' here and there, Kema's 'a's are quite easy to spot and usually Joker's 'j's are pretty obvious.... they have letter, you just haven't seen them.

Guest beardo

those are bad ass, vlad

blacko, you apparently didnt read a single thing i wrote, and youve lost all credability with your latest ramblings. probably best to just move on back to the nyc thread to caps lock to your little hearts content.

Blacko... not that you would even care, but how do you think I started? With artistic abstract shapes and forms?... in 1985? While that may have worked for Futura and Jon156 back then, a toy like myself couldn't even think of trying to pull something like that off till I learned how to be a writer, first.

So like every other herb I took to the streets and made a name for myself, because like you said, it's about fame. And when I reached that fame goal I felt it was time to do what I really wanted to do. Abstraction of the letter form. What I do is still deeply based in letters. Everything says Joke or Joker. And the letters are about as simple as a throw-up, when you know where they are.

I'm going to assume you're from NYC, and have been writing for many, many years. (Otherwise your conviction is less than heartfelt and more like a toy putting too much energy on something he doesn't truly understand.) That said, do you discredit what Futura has and is doing? The experiments that Sharp and Delta did? Vulcan? And dare I say... Phase2? All these old school cats, and more, went above and beyond what you consider to be graffiti. (More than that, they refuse to call it graffiti because it's a name the media gave what they were doing back in the day. We're not Graffitiers, we're writers.) Not only did they pioneer new ideas and new styles for the next generation of writers but they also gained massive respect in the process. I'm going to assume the respect came from hard work in the yard and in the books. Working hard to try something new and innovative. To keep writing from becoming stale.

Like Beardo said, you don't have to like it. And I'm glad you have stated that you you enjoy looking at what Kema and I do but don't feel it's writing, in a decent way. Most would be an ass about it. Hopefully, you'll read my post in the same vein... I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand you and make you understand me. And even if you do, you still don't have to believe in what I do, obviously. I just felt these thing needed to be said.

Lastly...

Without innovation in writing, we'd all be doing exactly the same thing. And what's the point in that...

wow wow wow. way too much awesome shit here. I got a chance to paitn with kema but we didnt get much time to talk. all this stuff is firkkin great man the colors the shapes its all just just alot to soak in.

also not for nothing but i can read almost all of it, granted on some stuff i need to know what it says first then look but the letters are there.most definitely.

Originally posted by Milton

Totem 2 seems sorely absent from this thread...

is he the one that invented that sort of voltron meets organic rounded 3-d style he does??? ... i mean it looks like a really good - but its a style that lots of people use, i think i first saw some canadian productions maybe virus or i dont know who in the source - but im realy out of touch with production graffiti and 3d shit, so i never really knew where it came from.

as for this thread, a lot of it seems like the exact same type of abstract graffiti, real strokey some graphic sharp lines slapped ontop of some color fade patterns , i guess like modified joker looking stuff. sure theres variety within it but its really not very "innovative" its just like the common alternative to typical wildstyle format (outline highlight 3d etc) that everyone trying to get artsy seems to use.

...i give a lot of credit to people that were experimenting in those realms you know 10 years ago or as people keep mentioning futura or jon or whoever even before then, but right now no it doesnt seem original, creative, or innovative....

it's really easy to be original for "graffiti" by just completely stepping outside of the graffiti format and throwing some pretty typical fine art up on a wall, like im not blown away by common abstact painting techniques that got turned into makeshift letter shapes.. theres definately a credible art in digging for references out side of graffiti to throw into it, making something your own out of other shit, like a dj would with digging for records or whatever.. but all these fools seem to be using the same song.

in terms of my own taste, i really give a lot of credit to are guys that art painting within the confines of graffitis traditions, but still able to find new ways to manipulate it - the simpler and more obvious the better really, like why the hell didnt i think of that type shit... legibility has really always been crucial for recognition, shit that you can still make out driving 90 on the freeway, or rolling by you on a train or whatever.. so guys that can be original with readable graffiti i really give a lot of credit to because they didnt have to throw away what graffiti was all about so that they could be more of an artist. i see that undreadble labor intensive graffiti has its a credible place within graffiti though, its just a lot easier to be "innovative" with really busy stuff, for me at least.

and yeah who cares what i say, but im kinda enjoying this over technical style discussion you all are having. reminds me of when internet graffiti was still a bunch of computer nerds that knew all the dos and unix commands...

Archived