The innovative style thread

Vlad

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cabin fever

word..thanks for the effort on that free5 shit.

there is this one train of his i was thinking of in particular and i tried to find the flick but to no avail....

everyone knows hes rad anyway

the end

Originally posted by crazeeb0b

Your man is a GRASS

Correct me if i am wrong but did'nt rough grass up some bigger writers when he got caught ??? Totally lost all respect for the cnut after that and if i saw a hit up of his he would get lined out from me !

Originally posted by discosteve

Correct me if i am wrong but did'nt rough grass up some bigger writers when he got caught ??? Totally lost all respect for the cnut after that and if i saw a hit up of his he would get lined out from me !

i don't like to bitch or stick my nose in, but yes he grassed up a former king of london (*r*x). he's painting at a jam in cardiff next weekend, you're all welcome to come and do some throwies over his piece with me and spottybot. :lol:

i'll have some more of my own flicks for this thread soon...

http://www.graffiti.org/piano33/piano33_fotto_012.jpg'>

^ 33 by piano33, nicked from www.graffiti.org

Well, technically "vandalism"or "vandalizing" is what graffiti is all about. It's about going out and writing on other peoples shit, basically. That's how most writers start out. They're usually young and out for ups and amped to bomb. As writers mature (those who stuck with it) they tend to either stay heavily into bombing or they become more interestred in permissions and legals.I think that most writers try to equally put in work on both sides. I love to do productions on legals, but I also love bombing (although it's not as much of a priority to me as pullin' off fresh productions). Basically, you gotta bomb; if not, what would seperate a graffiti artist from a so-called aerosol artist. Being able to paint a piece doesn't make you a graff writer.

i feel every aspect of graffiti, or hip hop in gerneral, is and are art. Graff, in all its form is an art, whether it is a handstyle, bomb, piece, stencil, poster, etc. anything. and then bboying, mcing, djing, its all an art. its a way to express urself, even if it is a simple handstyle. what makes it not art sometimes, is the cats that approach it without having tha feeling of expression, that need to portray feelings, emotions and whatnot. but for true heads, it should, and is, about the art. and the art...of getting up.

i guess thats what im trying to say..it should be about the art, not the vandalism, otherwise we may as well go smash up a building leaving a little note...ks13 did this.

well, i do it for myself, and i do it cos i love art, and if im alone in my thoughts, who gives a shit ?

how about keeping the pictures/ work innnovative, because this art vs. graff thing just isn't working out.

it's not you, it's me.

good stuff, al greenski

Originally posted by beardo

^ i know what you mean, and youre probably alone in the world in thinking that.

haha. total grey comment

I would say that a piece has not much to do with art, its more graphic design. On the contrary, bombing is much more art (i.e. performance art, land art, relational aesthetics...the act of graffiti/vandalism is a very rich subject and a lot can be written about all that it implies).

Some of the European writers I have met and painted with are painting some really amazing stuff.

Writers like Hoctez, Gutch, the Inkunstruction crew, Oedipe (Alex One) from France, Req 1 and Kid Acne from the UK, should all be checked out.

I would post some images but, for some reason, I can't. This being my first post, I'm not entirely sure how things work, so forgive me.

I’m interested to know what people think about the idea that to be innovative you have to break the rules, and to be able to break those rules, you have to have an adequate understanding of what has gone before in graffiti.

Does a writer have to have an awareness of traditional graffiti letterforms and hand-styles etc, to be able to interpret them and then manipulate and innovate…?

Or can some one come along with no prior knowledge; no pre-conceptions to clutter their personal vision of style, and break all the rules?

I come from the traditionalist school of thought that grew up with graffiti around me, at first I tried to emulate the styles I had seen in Subway Art and fan-zines etc. I soon came to realise writers wouldn’t be able to distinguish my piece from the next if it had all the same ingredients as everything else; drop shadow, 3D, fades, chips, and cracks (Don’t get me wrong, these all play an important part). So I tried (and still try) to make my style look as different as possible, without sacrificing aesthetics…

Now I find that all that time spent with my head in the books, and out of the window of the train has built a foundation for what I paint nowadays.

So can some one with no knowledge of the history come along and blow all the traditionalists and the innovators out of the water? And if they can, who are they?

for me, first and formost is the letter. i am interested in the basic components that make up the structure of a letter and the relationship between that letter and the letters it borders. i think most graf writers are influenced by regional styles, looking out train windows for that split second of letter form is how alot of people recieved their initial education

and found styles that they form a kinship with. i grew up around connecticut in the united states and i still see the basic elements of regional style in my letters. it is my belief that only when a person stays faithful to the letter [fused with their own aesthetic](and even if this letter cannot be distinguished by others) can there be innovation.

there is an expression...'search for the new while acknowledging the old' or something like that. innovation should be an idividual's choice to strive outside of what they've done or seen before for themself only. one who wishes to innovate should never compromise on the behalf of outside opinion.

Originally posted by /-|3e|_____

innovation should be an idividual's choice to strive outside of what they've done or seen before for themself only. one who wishes to innovate should never compromise on the behalf of outside opinion.

the new things you are doing are sick but you got to do one of the older pieces again ....please ...even just once for pace and i

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/2447/16476'>

Archived