The innovative style thread

Vlad

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Those Comodo pieces are really nice.

Al Green...

Don't you think that graphic design is one of those areas where know-how isn't a neccessity?

I don't think a designer really needs a full knowledge of the history of graphic design to produce interesting work. You just need a good eye and a consciousness of the world around you.

(oh yeah and you need a mac, a scanner, seven or eight hundred quids worth of graphics software, a CD burner, a drawing pad, a digital camera and USB link up, a few gig of disk space, blank CDs, a 1440 dpi printer, some expensive paper, spare ink cartridges, some where to plug it all in...)

no i think any good graphic design is actually

designed to communicate and depending on its audience have aesthetic sensibility and catchy graphics.

design aesthetics and design function are two different things.

a synthesis of the two would be the best.

if you look at futuras book.. he didnt lay it out. and its apparent that a really good book designer did.

not to say that everything has to be useful but futuras work has never really been about it.

i mean we are talking about graffiti here where alot of whats involved is the ornamentation and addition of decorative motifs to letters.take it however way you want to.

Critics are always failed artists..

"there was a time when i used to consider him one of my favorite graffiti writers, but as time as gone on..."

As time went on you got into the next trend then the next movement then you read some shit by some other guy who said this and that.

Your a consumer a product of your enviroment you expect writing to offer you so much Like it owes you something for all the years you spent buying books magazines etc...

"now after having been exposed to scenes and styles from all over the globe I look back and don't feel the same excitement about futura."

Youv'e been blinded by the mass of writing/art on show today the web the mags the jams you got all confused your willing to replace Futura with some german airbrush enthusiast because it's the "Next thing".

Personally Futura's work really struck a chord with myself and others when we were first exposed to it in 1984 His work was reflecting the vibe at the time Electro Hip Hop the fashion for some reason his work was the standard to reach, sometimes you can't put into words what it is an Artist has that moves people like this (music,dance all included) .

Futura's like a classic something you can't quite grasp no matter how hard you try to reach it you'll never have that style imagine how many musicians have tried to play give it up or turn it loose by James Brown plenty! and none have came of with the goods although in the process they've discovered some direction of there own. Delta,The Chrome Angelz, Chintz to many writers who inspire today have to a some extent been influenced by Futura and other NYC writers from that era.

Now like futura they stand on there own as individuals no longer stuck to trends and fashions laid out by Graffiti nerds.

Futura's work continues to hold interest outwith the parameters of of the stale fickle world of graffiti .

To finish "FASHION FADES......ONLY STYLE REMAINS"

Futura's Wholecar.

http://www.graffiti.org/trains/fu2000-train01.jpg

I'm sure you've all seen it, so I wont post the image because its so damn big, I just thought it was necessary, in case some people haven't seen it and they wanted to know what everyone was talking about.

Since the past few days all I've seen from Futura have been his handstyles and the wholecar. The thing that struck me most about it was how damn recent it looked. He really was so far ahead of his time, and for him to have broken away from the norm back then (which was so much less diverse than it is today), and to do something completely new without anything previous to look at or to pull from is incredible.

The world begins and ends with futura's handstyle.

http://www.graffiti.org/futura/futura-adam01.jpg'>

I just spent an hour blissfully lost in Delta's site. I'd cop some of the images and put them here but you'd miss the layouts, so do yourself a favor, leave this yapyap room and visit

www.deltainc.nl

and click on the "misc" part. and get lost in it.....

majornumnuts is absolutely on point. i'm too young to have felt it, but what he says about futura as capturing the essence of the times (oh, let's be pretentious and call it the zeitgeist...)

Originally posted by O_two

She 1 and I formed our crew rockGroup 4 years ago. I've got a bunch of images of his pieces but I can't post them, so in the mean time check

http:/www.sheone.co.uk

I've got some pieces on my site...

http:/www.fadetogloss.com

I think I'm justified in saying: holy fucking hell, your work is amazing.

Guest meone

GRAPHIC DESIGN COMMENT

Joker- I can see where it would be a bit easier to translate typographic knowledge and solutions to this form/media. I personally have been studying type for 3 years in college but even with the understanding of graphic design no matter how much i tried to fight it i had to go back to the fundamentals. The best advice i have heard/read from anyone...I actually think it was you or ouija....was go back to the basics. A designer will have forms readily avaiable but they will still have to start by drawing those basic forms until they see it without a computer....some older designers would appreciate that. Even remembering talks with instructors about the early days of computer aided design they were still hand drawing the forms. I never really appreciated the work i used to do before i was introduced to a computer till now. Trying to make a name for yourself is probably the worst thing that you can base drive on and every toy/writer wants to make their name big but you really have to love writing and love letters to appreciate anything in this "game".

not that i typed this coherently but some people other than me might get this post.

Guest beardo
every toy/writer wants to make their name big but you really have to love writing and love letters to appreciate anything in this "game".

speak this

:smiles: This is quite possibly the greatest and (personally) most eagerly awaited thread I have seen on 12 Oz. Joker I know your feeling this thread...

I believe Revs

Twist

Giant

Felon

Revok AWR

Daim

Cap

&

Mear CBS

are among some writers whom have not been as thoroughly mentioned that have all made many contributions. I could go on and on though.

Everyone keep posting please...

thank you, yeti/GLIOMAGLIOMAGLIOMAGLIOMAGLIOMA

dope thread. i really think to be innovative, you cannot only be different and new, but it also has to look good. for some reason im not feeling that one. not talkin shit, it just isn't reachin out to me. shepard failey isn't really a graf artist anymore, but i think the obey giant movement is one of the most innovative projects in modern art today. word up. :king:

Originally posted by add + style

dope thread. i really think to be innovative, you cannot only be different and new, but it also has to look good. for some reason im not feeling that one. not talkin shit, it just isn't reachin out to me. shepard failey isn't really a graf artist anymore, but i think the obey giant movement is one of the most innovative projects in modern art today. word up. :king:

isnt it kinda just the same as the cost and revs campaign though? but slightly more p.c. ?

Guest meone

Not to take away from the discussion but when is that Joker and Kema book comin out?and what happened to the Sins site??? A lot of people have to ask that question and its gotta be annoying but I had to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Daze One Million

inovative and unique are two very differnt things

unique

U*nique", a. [F. unique; cf. It. unico; from L. unicus, from unus one. See One.] Being without a like or equal; unmatched; unequaled; unparalleled; single in kind or excellence; sole. -- U*nique"ly, adv. -- U*nique"ness, n.

innovative

adj 1: ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?" [syn: advanced, forward-looking, modern] 2: being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original" [syn: innovational]

Originally posted by add + style

shepard failey isn't really a graf artist anymore, but i think the obey giant movement is one of the most innovative projects in modern art today. word up. :king:

Im not to sure that its at all inovative. He is taking somthing that has been done before (ie Revs and Cost postering) and combining it with somthing that has been done before (ie Russian Cubo Futurist and Constructivist graphic design).

Not only that but he is basing it on a wrestlers face who has no relevance to either of the previously mentioned ingredients.

I think Obey is another classic example of writers attempting to have a crack at fine art without understanding that what they do must have strong comment in order for thier work to have any kind of longevity.

since when has shepherd fairey done any graffiti?

he's a successful graphic designer who goes around and puts posters of a dead wrestler with a glandular problem. with the help of other people some of whom are graffiti writers.

he is not innovative but he definitely has achieved a star level of publicity.

between these two things he seems to be in a better boat then most of you people still tied to the docks.

Archived