The innovative style thread

Vlad

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

abel, I had the oportunity to see some of your stuff in person this weekend, and I liked what I saw... your style is nice, and you paint pretty clean (kinda looks like you outlined with rusto tho...) id like to see you keep going with that style, maybe branch out a bit more, and maybe work on some straight letter stuff...

anyway, shit was nice, keep it up

Originally posted by O Mei Shan

I understand what your saying...but im an artist not a vandal. and to me pieces are art, handstyles arent. know what i mean?

beardo and i seem to catch your drift but let me put it in layman's terms for the rest: FOOL!

my apologies for a shitty post on this great subject- both in pictures and discourse.

i just couldn't help myself with this "whoa is me! why don't they understand my ART?! what i do IS different."

you are all taking graffiti way to serioulsly "performance art" i am no vandal, graphic design is ART regardless of what anyone thinks. I guess you guys can do what you do best and stay behind a computer, doing your graphic design, going to art school that mommy and daddy paid for, exploiting the very "ART" that derives out of the inner city, you guys can talk and critique the real guys who go out there and do there thing, leave it up to us to let the visuals do our talking while you guys can keep the yapping.

graffiti is graffiti, vandalism to some, art to others. thats ALL stop trying to make it something its not.

Abel

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but I agree with you…

Surely ‘acknowledging the old’ is compromising? If a writer feels the need to acknowledge the past and refer to it in his art, pieces, hand-styles whatever, he is submitting to outside elements?

I know that when I paint a piece, or draw an outline, I’m trying to ‘un-learn’ what I know. I find I can get stuck in a rut, coming up with the same forms and letters time after time, because it’s almost as if I’ve programmed myself to paint learnt shapes etc.

I think a lot of people can mistake deliberately ‘weird’ letters for innovative. You’re right, the letters have to be there, or the artist isn’t changing anything, there isn’t an evolution…

i agree...for years i started every piece i ever with a 30° angle. i had to consciously move away from bad habits. your question makes me think of my study of Kant and empirical knowledge and a priori knowledge, etc. before reading your 1st post i was considering looking through my old sketchbooks and modifying some of my original letters into the new style i'm trying to develop. when i meant 'the past' i think i was referring to one's own past or root interest, not neccesarily the accepted graffiti conventions (although from these conventions there can be the seeds for innovative ideas.)

thanks for the nice words...i'm going to keep trying. and jas, i've still got the inkling to do that style, so we'll do it up big one of these summer days..the sad thing is that the police have 2 of my best sketchbooks from like 95-97 with some of my favorite outlines. how did the rest of that wall come out?????? handstyles are most certainly art!!! how are you going to have a psuedo chinese name and not see the calligraphic qualities of a dope hadstyle????

She 1 and I formed our crew rockGroup 4 years ago. I've got a bunch of images of his pieces but I can't post them, so in the mean time check

http:/www.sheone.co.uk

I've got some pieces on my site...

http:/www.fadetogloss.com

I can't think of any one individual, who is blowing minds, that has come up with no prior knowledge of writing's history, ideals or teachings. Though I do think it can happen. I can easily see a lot of graphic designers picking up the trait and making a name for themselves fairly quickly. Especially if they take an innovative style route. Someone who studies and practices typography could also make waves in Graffiti fairly easily. Though this is just my opinion.

I think something to consider is that a lot of kids who rush themselves into an "Abstract" style, without much knowledge of the letter form, do so and end up falling very short. It's completely obvious that they have no comprehension of letter forms. All their doing is faking it by doing some strange blobs or obscure sharp lines... and saying it says 'Joker'.

In my opinion, there are a lot of people breaking ground in writing. And many are going unrecognized. Alex One is defintely over due for some applause. Boe is doing some great stuff with aesthetics. Kema is just killing it with a combination of colors, style and form. And of course, I could go on. But why bore you with a roll call...

Here's two of my faves from OTwo...

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by O Mei Shan

I understand what your saying...but im an artist not a vandal. and to me pieces are art, handstyles arent. know what i mean?

well i would have to disagree with you. ever seen how some people treat handstyles?...

heres the thing. you can make anything an art. you can either go through the motions, learn the craft, or refine it into an art.

and just becaise its a signature doesnt mean it isnt art. would you ever say that calligraphy isnt an artform?.. well a handstyle is too. people mistreat it and theres lots of horrible examples, but look at, for just a hot seond people like , TWIST, ALERT, RATE, DASH....... it is an art to them.

Guest cabin fever

I know it might be kind of old hat by now...but someone should really post some abuse, some futura, maybe even some skeme

i mean we've seen it all before, probably, but its still good to get it out there...

on another note: word up to the banksy jawns....id like to see more of that!

innovation = TFP/INC crews

here's two of the best innovators of letters ever, in my eyes....

i'll start with DELTA INC/TFP from amsterdam. he was one of the first european writers, period, and has stayed at the top of the style game for twenty years. you cannot shake a stick at that, kids. for all you youngsters or just plain ignorant kids who are thinking "hey, this guy looks just like toast and daim and everything else i see..." it's the other way around.

(these photos were swiped from www.oneleginc.com and there are more there, look for the spotlights and team artworks sections)

The next dude I want to highlight is ATOME IBS/TFP from Sydney. I had the pleasure of getting to hang with him a bunch in 1997 when I was down there, and I really learned a lot from the guy.... one of the most important was just in how cool he was with painting with me when I was developing a lot of my stranger techniques and style, and they weren't all that pretty all the time. Yet he was into the fact that I would rather be original than good.

this one i bet was done with delta in amsterdam.... kinda unusual for atome

One of the most amazing flick books I've ever seen was this Sydney kid's Atome book. Like five hundred Atome pieces. He doesn't switch it up radically from piece to piece, but when there were five hundred in chronological sequence, it was like looking at the stills of an animation. Constant evolution, with very few wrong turns....

last one for today folks....

just remember, style isn't an either/or thing. you can dig stuff that's weird and unusual if you are a lettering traditionalist, and you can dig the classic stuff if you're a weirdo. take it from me, the more you dig, the more gold you find.

and that's all i wrote.

I think Delta is one of the only 3D writers who doesn't lose the letters in amongst the construction of the piece. The letters still rock with style. A lot of 3D writers can get caught up in the whole realism of the space and shape etc, and lose sight of painting letters that actually look good.

But that's a traditionalist speaking.

What about Zeds...

Does anyone have an image of the Futura 'Ar u tuf?' outline. When I saw that piece it blew me away. I couldn't believe it, he'd done a Futura piece backwards and it read 'are you tough?'. Amazing.

Other favourites...

Phase 2

Bando

Pride

Guest beardo

great posts sonik. ive been just short of obsessed with both those dudes work for as long as i can remember.

Archived