Photoshop battle

eseLokE1uno

god this thread is why i avoid paper chase like the plague

i have never seen such a bunch wack played out (5 years ago) rave flyer crap

i went though the last nine pages and saw maybe 2 things that were decent

and to the person who said graphic design was just suposed to be eye candy and

look pretty you need to go to design school, take some art history classes and

maybe read George Lois if you even know who he is

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LastBoyScout

wtf crawled up your ass? atleast offer some constructive criticism instead of being such a bitch about things.

Originally posted by LastBoyScout

Uh, maybe you misunderstood, I'm talking about the kind of design you're seeing in this thread. I'm not talking about fucking advertising, so why would George Lois matter?

What else would be the point of the majority of what's in here? It's meant to look good on your desktop. It's not meant to sell you a product, or provide information or anything like that.

If you don't like the thread, stay out.

ok, you know what, i think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's not a pretentious prick. maybe just a bad day or something. i was aware of his presence but never have seen any of his posts. let's just assume that it was a bad day or something. might as well unless he proves us wrong.

ok it was 3 in morning after a crappy night when i wrote that and i came off quite brash. . .

but i stick to the basic premiss of my first post

extruding objects and pulling points out is far from ground breaking design

some of it looks cool but once you have seen one you have basicly seen it all.

but hey if you want as they say to "ride a dead wave" do it

"it's called graphic design. it's meant to be aesthetically pleasing. it's not meant to have depth. it's not meant to have meaning. it's not meant to outlast the mona lisa. it's meant to look pretty. so eat it, dickface "

"Uh, maybe you misunderstood, I'm talking about the kind of design you're seeing in this thread. I'm not talking about fucking advertising, so why would George Lois matter?

What else would be the point of the majority of what's in here? It's meant to look good on your desktop. It's not meant to sell you a product, or provide information or anything like that.

If you don't like the thread, stay out."

The Definition:

graphic design n.

The practice or profession of designing print or electronic forms of visual information, as for an advertisement, publication, or website.

so if its not that then don't act tuff to other members claiming what GD is.

what does George lois have to do with argument, he wrote alot about the idea/meaning being the most important part of graphic design.

and if i don't like a thread i delete it, not stay out

i am a professional designer. . .i love design. . . i guess i just had higher expections for this thread. . sorry fellows

but keep doing what makes you happy

love, LBS

btw i agree alot with what el mam. was saying

joker i would think your work would be tranlated pretty well by streamliner

it would probably work best if you scaned in black inked images and used levels

or bightness/contrast to clean it up before putting it through streamliner

steamliner seems works best on b/w images. methods: outline tolance:lowest noise suppression:highest

but to get it perfect scan in your drawing use it as a template in illustator and

just trace it with the pen tool

i agree with LBS.kinda.

in the sense that i meet tons of people who think they are graphic designers because they have design aesthetics...

but cannot for the life of them layout a proper page of text.

there are too many people who claim to know how to do things but use the same three typefaces. 1 serif and two san serif

formulaic..

i dont want to hate thats not my purpose in life.

as to LBS comment:

i also think people like casek and hyrax.. have developed alot.. and are proficient and have techinical skill.. i dont think every thing they do is dope and its a bit too ravery/electronic for me to be into...

my criticism is that i dont always ee alot of preplaning for some of the work you end up putting 15hours into rendering.. which is a shame.

if there was an idea behind the work....(maybe im missing it and maybe i should clarify the term idea) ... id be alot more inclined to be critical..or moreso give feed back

i wrote this on the fly and im willing to develop a discussion.

-al grizzle.

LBS: yeah, i was a little harsh, as well. i was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, and you clarified your comment. i thank you for that. i really don't know what to say about design and whatnot. i'm not really trying to stick with tradition, even the "new traditions" (do you know what i mean by that?). i can't speak for hyrax, but i don't try to come up with trendy shit too much. i do quite a bit of work "behind the scenes" and i only post some of my stuff. it's not all gooey, shiney things with 15 hour render times and whatnot. some of it takes alot of time and alot of looking (staring) at the screen and trying to get the best possible flow of of what i'm doing at the time. if you had any idea how much time i actually spend trying to get lights right and the shape at just the right angle, you might think differently.

this new wireframe project is comign along quite nicely and i might as well take this opportunity to be public about an upcoming online exhibtion featuring myself, Joker, Ciste, Sixxx, and maybe a few special guests. it should be online within the next motnh (from November 15th). hopefully everyone will be out of school or on holiday from work. it wasn't easy to impress these guys and get them to join in the project. more details later on.

al, i'd love to discuss this in detail. it'd be a good growing experience. keep the critiques coming.

First, I have to say some of the work in here is pretty amazing and very appealing to look at. But coming from a design point of view they lack in communication, they seem more like eye candy than actual design. I am not trying to put anyone down, I am just giving my opinion as a professional designer who works and who has had formal design training, it is more art than actual design. Shit is still frsh though keep at the work and the effects being used are very well done.

Italy One - They Hold Magik

• 4 weeks later...

for whoever was asking NURBS:NonUnionRationalBSplines i believe is the definition...they're primarily used for inanimate objects although in some cases NURBS are used in character animation...they're great for creating smooth curves very easily...the only problem is the seams whem animation are difficult to weight...for character animation i prefer polys but with NURBS you can utilize revolves and lofts and whatnot for quick creation rather than being forced to extrude over and over again...a good middle ground that some people are absolutely in love with are sub-d...im more of an extrude person myself...but nurbs are a lot of fun and i suggest http://www.cgtalk.com they have great tutorials if you do a search and beautiful work as well...i hope this helps out at least a little..im a bit short on time...feel free to email me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived