Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

So...either Dave Chappelle is crazy and in Africa

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by dumy, May 12, 2005.

1. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

saw this article a couple hours ago..don't know if this is posted or not

The Associated Press
    Updated: 2:52 a.m. ET May 12, 2005
    NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian’s whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of “Chappelle’s Show” had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

“We don’t know where he is,” Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. “We’ve heard about South Africa. We don’t know. We haven’t talked to Dave.”

Chappelle’s spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine’s story.

“It seems like the issues he’s contending with are really quite serious,” said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. “It isn’t a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion.”

The magazine’s sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle’s representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show’s first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes’ worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.here you go

2. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

hmmm seems very fishy how no one commented on anything....link?

3. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

i've edited the post to include the link

4. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

there's a fine line bordering between genius and insanity

5. caffeine

caffeine Member

All i want to know is...

Why Africa?

6. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Wow. That sucks, not only as a fan of his show, but from the perspective of - damn! he's in a mental hospital! I hope he gets the help he needs, although I wouldn't doubt it if we fail to see a new Chappelle Show again.

7. jakepaints

jakepaints Junior Member

i saw dave in new york a few weeks ago, its very possible it was before april 28th though. so i guess its possible. he didnt seem very crazy when i saw him though. strange either way.

8. shaolinmasta

shaolinmasta Veteran Member

Is Chapelle a convert to muslim as well???

9. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I think it's just that whiney celebrity deal. After he made all that money, he's acting like a rich person.

10. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

the newsweek article about his unhinging is good.

he blew the fuck up, got tottally overwhelmed by the expectations to come funnier next time, the pressure to perform for his network, and all the money
    dave likes his drugs and alcohol

sometimes, people can't stand the heat
    and they have to get the fuck out totally completely away
    from the kitchen

i'm still a fan, he's still funny as anyone ever was and i don't care if he's pullin some kurt cobain style moping.

11. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

yeah, but depending on how this plays out it has the potential to injure his career, I want to see what happens next

12. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

go figure he'd rather go to a mental health facility in south africa rather than newark. maybe he isn't that crazy.

13. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

fuck, that sucks. something serious must be wrong with Dave. Comedy Central has been pushing back the season 3 premier since January.

get well soon Dave.

14. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

IF he comes back to continue his show, think he'll do a sketch about it...

15. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

hah