1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Optumis, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Optumis

Optumis New Jack

Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Discussion started by Optumis - Jan 6, 2002

The reason I decide to post this was because while reading another post I was fucking angered to read someone say that stealing was self degrading.
    Stealing on a broader level is not self degrading it’s perfectly natural and your right as a human being to be able to provide yourself with the necessities of life.
    My personal view is that stealing paint is what any true writer must do.
    There are several circumstances where I would say that it is fair to pay for paint…
    For instance if you have been busted before and don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack.
    Oh and a store that supports what we do … You never steal from your own, only from those who deserve it and the rich.

Optumis - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

T.T Boy - Replied Jan 6, 2002

"back in the day we used to say fresh"

T.T Boy - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. HAL

HAL Guest

HAL - Replied Jan 6, 2002

Dood guy, you've misconstrued opinion for fact. Some people think that any kind of theft is wrong. Others think that stealing from rich people is alright, and others have no problem stealing, period. You're entitled to your own beliefs and theory behind it. Unlike graffiti, there's really no gray area about it being ok or legal.

It is your right to provide youself with the necessities of life, but your point is moot when you figure that you can simply get a job and pay for all the things you need, and then some.

As far as paying for paint because you've been busted, don't you think that's a bit selfish? You think your luck is so great and you're such a natural that you'll never be caught? Your luck will run out, but then some other kids will come up and continue the cycle. Maybe I'm wrong, but life isn't just about looking out for number one. Making friends with store owners and becoming a regular customer has it's own set of advantages......
    What about the places you're stealing from? Because some guy owns a store, he can afford to be robbed by some kids? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stealing from Walmart or some other huge corporation, because they're in the business of driving mom and pop out of business. That's just about the worst thing you can do. Undercut the little guy. Unfortunately, since they make so much money, they can afford to install high tech security measures and stealing becomes way more difficult.

Think of it as graffiti. You're out there competing against other writers to stay up. It's the same thing with a small business. If there's a walmart or home depot within 15 miles or so, your profits are going to drop drastically. People want to pay less and take shortcuts. It's human nature. There's no way they, as independent business owners, can match Home Depot's prices. They have their own warehouses, buy in mass quantity directly from the manufacturer, make deals with manufacturers, and sell basically everything in one huge store. It's an uphill battle without some kids ripping off half your paint rack every month.
    I think you agree, but I guess my response is directed at kids in general who'll read this. If theft and graffiti become synonymous, it's just going to make it even worse for us. The whole gang thing is bad enough.

4. Optumis

Optumis New Jack

Optumis - Replied Jan 6, 2002

I respect what you have posted and understand where you are coming from ... I just think it's about using your common sense...
    Like i said you target those who deserve it ... :)
    Not every writer has access to work and not every writer can afford to pay for paint... There are allot of working poor writers out there who can hardly keep their head above water on the home front let alone go out and spend up on paint ..
    But like i said it's all about using your common sense...

5. HAL

HAL Guest

HAL - Replied Jan 6, 2002

I hear you man. I'm not making tons of loot, but there's ways around paying full price for paint, without breaking any more laws than you have to. Clearance paint is about 90% of my stock.

6. im elephant.

im elephant. New Jack

im elephant. - Replied Jan 6, 2002

hm.

i buy paint before i buy food, you just have to have your necessities in order.

im elephant. - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  7. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Jan 6, 2002

you say alot about common sense , however it seems that you misplaced your own......

stealing is stealing any which way you slice it , and providing for yourself / family is totally different than if you " don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack. " and as Hal said , you can get a job and buy items you NEED........paint isnt a neccessity nor is it providing for your family.

and actually if you think of stealing on a ' broader level ' , stealing is just stupid.....because the loses that the stores incur just force them to raise their prices , then other stores raise theirs , and inflation rates just go up for everybody..... also leads to the government raising taxes.........

these arent my personal beliefs just my .02

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  8. Optumis

Optumis New Jack

Optumis - Replied Jan 6, 2002

Re: Re: Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Stealing on a broader level is not at all stupid and I'll reiterate my comments from before. It's totally natural and it is the right of every human being to provide themselves with the necessities of life.

The argument that stealing forces stores to incur cost is valid however this does not have to mean that they raise prices.
    Take a major supermarket Chain. Go around the back and open up their dumpster and you will find an amazing about of products that are perfectly fine. Often stores that receive a box full of items and 1 has broken will dispose of the entire container because the other individual products don't meet the "glamour" standards that we as anal consumers have come to demand {that should be a fucking crime}. Tell me they are going to notice or mark up prices at the loss of some pissy little items. I don't think so ..

The local paint shop maybe a little hard hit if 30 graffazZZz go and hit it up but i think you would find they would start to stock their paint behind the counter. Like i said in my last post .. It's about using your common sense. You don't steal from those who don't deserve it ...
    & most importantly you don't steal from your own!
    I’m not going to bother to get into a debate on economics nor how the Reserve bank basically instructs companies to sack large numbers of people to control inflation and completely fucks over working people…. Some other time maybe… It’s 2 am here in Australia… Hehhe…

Peace.

9. DankLordz

DankLordz 12oz Senior Member

DankLordz - Replied Jan 6, 2002

my opinion towards the whole issue is this: Do whatever YOU want to do.

I follow the "steal from corporations, not mom and dad stores" rule, but, lately ive found myself slipping and paying $2 for a can of painters touch. I guess you could say that im trying to just have life go as smooth as possible.. if i get caught stealing then that's obviously a huge complication that i dont feel like dealing with right now. I dont really mind all that much paying for it. However, im sure there will be periods of time where im feeling extremely "anti-system" and begin to rack paint because of a financial situation.

maybe im just a pussy. oh well.

DankLordz - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Jan 6, 2002

hal is on point.
    some of my dopest and most unique colors
    came from liquidation stores...
    as a result i have fucking killer
    color schemes that are MINE.
    i'm so down for ripping off walmart....
    especially walmart. fuck walmart.
    walmart hires almost exclusively
    part time workers so they can
    jack their own employees of benefits.
    working at a place like walmart,
    getting shit pay for a shitty ass
    job, and then getting jacked by
    your own employer when you're
    supposed to be 'part of the family'
    is fuckt. and 2$ for a can of painters
    touch is fucking primo....thats just
    about 5$ less than what its jacked
    up to here. i wouldn't complain.

11. Step8

Step8 12oz Senior Member

Step8 - Replied Jan 6, 2002

to the person that stole my discman out of my bag at work: YOU SUCK!

Step8 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

graffsurgeon - Replied Jan 6, 2002

i'll steal from anyone..rich people are just a plus.

graffsurgeon - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  13. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle 12oz Veteran Member

Dr. Dazzle - Replied Jan 6, 2002

like a modern day Robin Hood.....

Dr. Dazzle - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. intercept

intercept 12oz Senior Member

intercept - Replied Jan 6, 2002

like a older writer said to me one time its just getting yourself into to much shit....//.....plus paying for paint makes you work harder at a piece etc...............it doesnt really matter but i dont think its good..although i feel sealing markers is ok cause there to dam expensive although i dont seal anything anymore i got into that shiot to far before..........///.......

intercept - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. REGULATOR

REGULATOR 12oz Elite Member

REGULATOR - Replied Jan 6, 2002

buy 20 cans of paint for $2 from home depot...then sell 10 to stupid toys for 4 bucks a can....boom...ten free cans...and did u do anyting illegal??? no...wel not counting selling paint to minors..but whos gonna kno

i never try to steal from mom and dad stores....i only rack from those big corps. like wallgreens, osh supply, home depot, rite aid, walmart, office depot...etc etc.......i think stealing frm mom and dad stores is kinda fucked up because they arent part of a huge corperation and they DO worry about losing the lease....everytime a home depot opens....it rarely loses a lease unless its located right next to a nazi museam or sumthin

REGULATOR - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: