Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Optumis

The reason I decide to post this was because while reading another post I was fucking angered to read someone say that stealing was self degrading.

Stealing on a broader level is not self degrading it’s perfectly natural and your right as a human being to be able to provide yourself with the necessities of life.

My personal view is that stealing paint is what any true writer must do.

There are several circumstances where I would say that it is fair to pay for paint…

For instance if you have been busted before and don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack.

Oh and a store that supports what we do … You never steal from your own, only from those who deserve it and the rich.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Dood guy, you've misconstrued opinion for fact. Some people think that any kind of theft is wrong. Others think that stealing from rich people is alright, and others have no problem stealing, period. You're entitled to your own beliefs and theory behind it. Unlike graffiti, there's really no gray area about it being ok or legal.

It is your right to provide youself with the necessities of life, but your point is moot when you figure that you can simply get a job and pay for all the things you need, and then some.

As far as paying for paint because you've been busted, don't you think that's a bit selfish? You think your luck is so great and you're such a natural that you'll never be caught? Your luck will run out, but then some other kids will come up and continue the cycle. Maybe I'm wrong, but life isn't just about looking out for number one. Making friends with store owners and becoming a regular customer has it's own set of advantages......

What about the places you're stealing from? Because some guy owns a store, he can afford to be robbed by some kids? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stealing from Walmart or some other huge corporation, because they're in the business of driving mom and pop out of business. That's just about the worst thing you can do. Undercut the little guy. Unfortunately, since they make so much money, they can afford to install high tech security measures and stealing becomes way more difficult.

Think of it as graffiti. You're out there competing against other writers to stay up. It's the same thing with a small business. If there's a walmart or home depot within 15 miles or so, your profits are going to drop drastically. People want to pay less and take shortcuts. It's human nature. There's no way they, as independent business owners, can match Home Depot's prices. They have their own warehouses, buy in mass quantity directly from the manufacturer, make deals with manufacturers, and sell basically everything in one huge store. It's an uphill battle without some kids ripping off half your paint rack every month.

I think you agree, but I guess my response is directed at kids in general who'll read this. If theft and graffiti become synonymous, it's just going to make it even worse for us. The whole gang thing is bad enough.

Originally posted by HAL

Dood guy, you've misconstrued opinion for fact. Some people think that any kind of theft is wrong. Others think that stealing from rich people is alright, and others have no problem stealing, period. You're entitled to your own beliefs and theory behind it. Unlike graffiti, there's really no gray area about it being ok or legal.

It is your right to provide youself with the necessities of life, but your point is moot when you figure that you can simply get a job and pay for all the things you need, and then some.

As far as paying for paint because you've been busted, don't you think that's a bit selfish? You think your luck is so great and you're such a natural that you'll never be caught? Your luck will run out, but then some other kids will come up and continue the cycle. Maybe I'm wrong, but life isn't just about looking out for number one. Making friends with store owners and becoming a regular customer has it's own set of advantages......

What about the places you're stealing from? Because some guy owns a store, he can afford to be robbed by some kids? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stealing from Walmart or some other huge corporation, because they're in the business of driving mom and pop out of business. That's just about the worst thing you can do. Undercut the little guy. Unfortunately, since they make so much money, they can afford to install high tech security measures and stealing becomes way more difficult.

Think of it as graffiti. You're out there competing against other writers to stay up. It's the same thing with a small business. If there's a walmart or home depot within 15 miles or so, your profits are going to drop drastically. People want to pay less and take shortcuts. It's human nature. There's no way they, as independent business owners, can match Home Depot's prices. They have their own warehouses, buy in mass quantity directly from the manufacturer, make deals with manufacturers, and sell basically everything in one huge store. It's an uphill battle without some kids ripping off half your paint rack every month.

I think you agree, but I guess my response is directed at kids in general who'll read this. If theft and graffiti become synonymous, it's just going to make it even worse for us. The whole gang thing is bad enough.

I respect what you have posted and understand where you are coming from ... I just think it's about using your common sense...

Like i said you target those who deserve it ... :)

Not every writer has access to work and not every writer can afford to pay for paint... There are allot of working poor writers out there who can hardly keep their head above water on the home front let alone go out and spend up on paint ..

But like i said it's all about using your common sense...

I hear you man. I'm not making tons of loot, but there's ways around paying full price for paint, without breaking any more laws than you have to. Clearance paint is about 90% of my stock.

Originally posted by Optumis

Stealing on a broader level is not self degrading it’s perfectly natural and your right as a human being to be able to provide yourself with the necessities of life.

My personal view is that stealing paint is what any true writer must do.

There are several circumstances where I would say that it is fair to pay for paint…

For instance if you have been busted before and don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack.

Oh and a store that supports what we do … You never steal from your own, only from those who deserve it and the rich.

you say alot about common sense , however it seems that you misplaced your own......

stealing is stealing any which way you slice it , and providing for yourself / family is totally different than if you " don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack. " and as Hal said , you can get a job and buy items you NEED........paint isnt a neccessity nor is it providing for your family.

and actually if you think of stealing on a ' broader level ' , stealing is just stupid.....because the loses that the stores incur just force them to raise their prices , then other stores raise theirs , and inflation rates just go up for everybody..... also leads to the government raising taxes.........

these arent my personal beliefs just my .02

Re: Re: Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Originally posted by ASER1NE

you say alot about common sense , however it seems that you misplaced your own......

stealing is stealing any which way you slice it , and providing for yourself / family is totally different than if you " don’t feel like taking the risk of getting busted again or if you just can’t get hold of good quality paint to rack. " and as Hal said , you can get a job and buy items you NEED........paint isnt a neccessity nor is it providing for your family.

Well some would say that paint is a neccessity.... But anyways..

and actually if you think of stealing on a ' broader level ' , stealing is just stupid.....because the loses that the stores incur just force them to raise their prices , then other stores raise theirs , and inflation rates just go up for everybody..... also leads to the government raising taxes.........

these arent my personal beliefs just my .02

Stealing on a broader level is not at all stupid and I'll reiterate my comments from before. It's totally natural and it is the right of every human being to provide themselves with the necessities of life.

The argument that stealing forces stores to incur cost is valid however this does not have to mean that they raise prices.

Take a major supermarket Chain. Go around the back and open up their dumpster and you will find an amazing about of products that are perfectly fine. Often stores that receive a box full of items and 1 has broken will dispose of the entire container because the other individual products don't meet the "glamour" standards that we as anal consumers have come to demand {that should be a fucking crime}. Tell me they are going to notice or mark up prices at the loss of some pissy little items. I don't think so ..

The local paint shop maybe a little hard hit if 30 graffazZZz go and hit it up but i think you would find they would start to stock their paint behind the counter. Like i said in my last post .. It's about using your common sense. You don't steal from those who don't deserve it ...

& most importantly you don't steal from your own!

I’m not going to bother to get into a debate on economics nor how the Reserve bank basically instructs companies to sack large numbers of people to control inflation and completely fucks over working people…. Some other time maybe… It’s 2 am here in Australia… Hehhe…

Peace.

my opinion towards the whole issue is this: Do whatever YOU want to do.

I follow the "steal from corporations, not mom and dad stores" rule, but, lately ive found myself slipping and paying $2 for a can of painters touch. I guess you could say that im trying to just have life go as smooth as possible.. if i get caught stealing then that's obviously a huge complication that i dont feel like dealing with right now. I dont really mind all that much paying for it. However, im sure there will be periods of time where im feeling extremely "anti-system" and begin to rack paint because of a financial situation.

maybe im just a pussy. oh well.

Guest BROWNer

hal is on point.

some of my dopest and most unique colors

came from liquidation stores...

as a result i have fucking killer

color schemes that are MINE.

i'm so down for ripping off walmart....

especially walmart. fuck walmart.

walmart hires almost exclusively

part time workers so they can

jack their own employees of benefits.

working at a place like walmart,

getting shit pay for a shitty ass

job, and then getting jacked by

your own employer when you're

supposed to be 'part of the family'

is fuckt. and 2$ for a can of painters

touch is fucking primo....thats just

about 5$ less than what its jacked

up to here. i wouldn't complain.

like a older writer said to me one time its just getting yourself into to much shit....//.....plus paying for paint makes you work harder at a piece etc...............it doesnt really matter but i dont think its good..although i feel sealing markers is ok cause there to dam expensive although i dont seal anything anymore i got into that shiot to far before..........///.......

buy 20 cans of paint for $2 from home depot...then sell 10 to stupid toys for 4 bucks a can....boom...ten free cans...and did u do anyting illegal??? no...wel not counting selling paint to minors..but whos gonna kno

i never try to steal from mom and dad stores....i only rack from those big corps. like wallgreens, osh supply, home depot, rite aid, walmart, office depot...etc etc.......i think stealing frm mom and dad stores is kinda fucked up because they arent part of a huge corperation and they DO worry about losing the lease....everytime a home depot opens....it rarely loses a lease unless its located right next to a nazi museam or sumthin

"steal from the rich" ..what the fuck.. have you ever considered that maybe those worthless scums u call have started from scratch and fought the struggle to become where they are now.

my mom has known alot of ppl//when she was poor..that are now very rich.. one friend of hers started out in poverty and 10 years later he owns a record label company..

think for once.

Originally posted by HAL

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stealing from Walmart or some other huge corporation, because they're in the business of driving mom and pop out of business. That's just about the worst thing you can do. Undercut the little guy.

I gotta disagree. Sure it sucks that the mom & pop stores get put out of business. But dont blame Wal-Mart. Thats just smart business. Yeah it sounds cruel, but when youre in business you gotta be ruthless, you beat the competition by any means necessary. Ultimately its the consumer that decides which business makes money and which goes bankrupt. If the consumer decides to shop at the home depot instead of the mom and pop..blame the consumers, not the home depot.

And about Wal-Mart fuckin over their employees...those employees took the jobs! They werent drafted. They filled out an application..they knew how much theyd get paid and what the hours/benefits were. And if they didnt thats their own stupidity. And Im sure they figured it out real quick and they can quit anytime they want. You seem to think their slaves in a sweatshop who are forced to be there.

Originally posted by mapo wc

I gotta disagree. Sure it sucks that the mom & pop stores get put out of business. But dont blame Wal-Mart. Thats just smart business. Yeah it sounds cruel, but when youre in business you gotta be ruthless, you beat the competition by any means necessary. Ultimately its the consumer that decides which business makes money and which goes bankrupt. If the consumer decides to shop at the home depot instead of the mom and pop..blame the consumers, not the home depot.

And about Wal-Mart fuckin over their employees...those employees took the jobs! They werent drafted. They filled out an application..they knew how much theyd get paid and what the hours/benefits were. And if they didnt thats their own stupidity. And Im sure they figured it out real quick and they can quit anytime they want. You seem to think their slaves in a sweatshop who are forced to be there.

Please ... I don't punctuate to accommodate ya simpleton mind state...

Anyone who works is a slave.. a wage slave..

Workers have the right to feel secure in their employment and places like walmart that use employment tactics to try and screw their employees are setting a trend that will be followed by other major stores. These mega globo corps have millions of dollars to lobby politicians and basically shut those mum & dad stores out of the market.

The idea that you as a consumer have some kind of power over what business lives or dies is a myth.

You are not in control at all -- they control you. And if you think that's wrong then you can go and stick your head in the sand with all my other class enemies.

Bring on the class war - eat the rich' merry anarchy..

eh??? Vibe peoples..

Some of you say that it's not ok to steal paint but ok to take markers..

I don't see that there is any dif eh????

All i can say is that as graffaZzz, just in the nature of what we do, if you want a liberated mind -- KILL THE COP INSIDE YOUR HEAD!

Peace

I am not even going to read one word of this topic. Just going to say as long as it isn't my shit or someone I care about. Go get it. Sure stealing from Walmart or Media Play for example drives up prices for the regular consumer but if that is what you got to do. That is what you got to do.

Shoplifting doesn't actually drive up prices to the consumer, and it doesn't drive up costs for the store/corporation. All merhandise that is counted off as theft is TAX DEDUCTABLE, so if stores are raising prices and using theft as a reason, they are scamming the public. Supply and Demand are what drives up costs and prices - and just look to the noble OPEC as the model for most large corporations. Yes, the oil industry is way more of a monopoly and pretty much illegal in the way they control production to keep prices up - however it IS the model fo these bloodsucker corporations. I'm no expert on economics but I know that much.

Mom and Pop businesses usually follow a different model because of the smaller scale - they do what they have to do to stay in business. They don't drive prices up because no one will shop there, they usually just break even, and that's where the difference is - large corporations are able to charge less than the average mom and pop, and still make a huge huge profit. That's how they are able to expand. I think a big factor is the exploitation of employees - they get people with little or no education that MUST work, and have little choices of jobs.

Take a company like McDonalds. They thrive on young, undereducated individuals so that they can offer little or no benefits, and very little pay. They encourage a high turnover because for the first few months an employee works at a McDonalds they receive huge tax breaks from the government, but after that period (I believe it's four months or so), the incentives are gone, so it's in their best interest to keep a rotation of new employees. This also allows them to rarely give raises or better benefits. If you want to know where I got this McD's info, it's from a book called Fast Food Nation.

I was unaware Theft loss was something that was tax deductible to major retailers? I thought it was just money spend on "Loss Prevention" that was t.d.? I could be wrong though....

I'd respond longer and smarter on the topic, but my brain shuts down whenever i hear someone defending walmart.......

this is how it is with me....if im gonna spend three hours in the cold creating a master peice...and knowing the next day it probably wont be there......why would i pay for somthing if i know its gonna be distroyed.....why pay for somthing if im gonna use it to break the law anyway....if im gonna do sumthin illegal i mite as well go the whole nine yards and go out with a blast

Originally posted by onesandzeros

I was unaware Theft loss was something that was tax deductible to major retailers? I thought it was just money spend on "Loss Prevention" that was t.d.? I could be wrong though....

I'd respond longer and smarter on the topic, but my brain shuts down whenever i hear someone defending walmart.......

This is taken from the IRS website - I don't really understand it myself, but if someone wants to interpret it, feel free...

"Loss of Inventory"

You claim a casualty or theft loss of inventory, including items you hold for sale to customers, through the increase in the cost of goods sold by properly reporting your opening and closing inventories. You cannot claim the loss again as a casualty or theft loss. Any insurance or other reimbursement you receive for the loss is taxable.

You can choose to take the loss separately as a casualty or theft loss. If you take the loss separately, adjust opening inventory or purchases to eliminate the loss items and avoid counting the loss twice.

If you take the loss separately, reduce the loss by the reimbursement you receive or expect to receive. If you do not receive the reimbursement by the end of the year, you cannot claim a loss for any amounts you reasonably expect to recover.

Re: Re: Re: Is it wrong to steal paint? Or anything?

Originally posted by Optumis

The argument that stealing forces stores to incur cost is valid however this does not have to mean that they raise prices.

Take a major supermarket Chain. Go around the back and open up their dumpster and you will find an amazing about of products that are perfectly fine. Often stores that receive a box full of items and 1 has broken will dispose of the entire container because the other individual products don't meet the "glamour" standards that we as anal consumers have come to demand {that should be a fucking crime}. Tell me they are going to notice or mark up prices at the loss of some pissy little items. I don't think so ..

Peace.

actually it does , when a company loses profit , they must make up for it........thus they raise prices...........im talking generally , not if a couple ppl boost some paint , but when a store is continually stolen from...the shit they throw out is below standars or defective which cant be sold anyhow and gets written off.......no profit loss........the shit you steal is fine..............

Archived