anyone in the UK left on this forum? I need you to get in here and explain this to me ASAP

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Brits tend to become offended by the concept of questioning authority. I have no idea how Graffiti, and good music ever took off there. Imagine having to pay an extra tax just because your eyeballs have pointed at something. Then those taxes are used to put government propoganda on the very thing you looked at, to further influence people into conformity, and obedience. At least you get a discount on how much you're extorted if the TV is Black & White.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

Hah. Good point. What if they are color blind? Does it go by what you can see or what you have?

Not sure, but I have a feeling the queen double taxes the color blind as if they can see color. 

Then like Mercer stated, they run around shouting, "God save the Queen!"

• Truth 1

4 hours ago, Deine Mudder said:

I'll have you know here in Germany you have to pay this shit (equiv of about $240  p.a. by the way) even if you do not have a TV at all  :classic-smile:

What is pa? Per anum? I feel like this is part of the reason we didnt even own a TV when I was growing up! Life was awesome for 13 year old me when we finally got a TV and I could watch those campy bumsen films that came on late at night. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

What is pa? Per anum? I feel like this is part of the reason we didnt even own a TV when I was growing up! Life was awesome for 13 year old me when we finally got a TV and I could watch those campy bumsen films that came on late at night. 

Bro!  You too!?  I thought my family was the only people without a television.  

On 12/9/2023 at 10:58 PM, Schnitzel said:

Yeah it partly pays for the BBC so a lot of TV over there has more TV than ads.

Pissed me off when I lived there because somehow I had to pay it the first year.

This. 

I asked some UK friends about this because I had not heard of it before and they said exactly the same thing. The fee goes to the BBC and funds their programming (like Doctor Who, etc.) and keeps the ads to a minimum. 

I did some further research and found that if you're blind you can apply for a 50% discount, but you still gotta pay that shit. 

• Like 2

Eh, the libertarian-taxation-is-theft crowd won't go for any of it, but this is no different than me paying taxes that go towards public education.  I do not and will never have children.

Myriad examples could be issued here. Arguments for and against are easy to be made. This isn't the channel to debate the state or the status quo.

It's just a differnetly structured version of what we have. 

6 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

surely that would be on some sort of streaming thing you pay for?

Well, what we have is PBS (Public Broadcasting System) which is funded by donations, and I believe a very small amount of out local taxes from city sales tax contributes to their existence, but a very small amount to where its appears non existent.

But, PBS does broadcast some sitcoms, and other shows on the BBC network.