West to East road trip stops

officersteve

NorCal-New York. I've driven the southern route before but looking to shake it up a bit. Any recommendations for middle American cities to stop by? I also wanna take my time going up (or down) the East coast. I really have no plans except to meet a friend in New York sometime in July, so i'm open to suggestions.Thanks yall, stay up

-Big Steve

• Like 4

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 minute ago, LUGR said:

I don’t really have any suggestions other than to make a photo thread to share your journey with us.

Most definitely! I've got some spots to check out along the way depending which route i decide on, and will of course find some more gems. Trying to find the balance between not planning anything and over-planning 🙂  I've been lurking around here so long a thread with my trip photos will be a great way to share and connect

go to Minneapolis, Omaha and Ashtabula, then philadelphia and NYC

or maybe Bend, Boise, Des moines, chicago, indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Cincinnati, Akron, Richmond, Baltimore NYC

Reno, Winnemucca, Salt lake city, provo, denver, Wichita, St. louis, columbus, pittsburgh, buffalo, rochester, Syracuse, albany NYC.

Sacto, las Vegas, Albuquerque, Dallas, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Memphis, Chattanooga, Charlotte, DC, wilmington,

or maybe ignore me because I'm looking at google maps from the other side of the world and have never been to anywhere other than reno, Las Vegas, NYC and DC

how about get to one city pick two options from there and flip a coin until you hit east coast?

could be well interesting. Wish i had that kind of freedom.

• Like 3
  • LOL! 2

1 minute ago, Schnitzel said:

how about get to one city pick two options from there and flip a coin until you hit east coast?

This is a great idea! I hadn't thought about planning out my route like that. I'm bouncing back from some medical issues so I decided to allow myself some much needed freedom 🙂 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

go to Minneapolis, Omaha and Ashtabula, then philadelphia and NYC

or maybe Bend, Boise, Des moines, chicago, indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Cincinnati, Akron, Richmond, Baltimore NYC

Reno, Winnemucca, Salt lake city, provo, denver, Wichita, St. louis, columbus, pittsburgh, buffalo, rochester, Syracuse, albany NYC.

Sacto, las Vegas, Albuquerque, Dallas, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Memphis, Chattanooga, Charlotte, DC, wilmington,

or maybe ignore me because I'm looking at google maps from the other side of the world and have never been to anywhere other than reno, Las Vegas, NYC and DC

could be well interesting. Wish i had that kind of freedom.

You have been to SF also.

• Like 1

Kansas gets a bad rap, but last I drove it I took only 2 lane roads and really enjoyed the small towns. Stopped at every stoplight town to find old hardware stores and had fun. Also got scabies at a super 8 there, so ya know, gamblin'.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 2

read this for some suggestions.
UK writer crossing america in the trumpiest counties in the country in a model T ford

would definitely give you ideas of where to avoid. (not because of the trumpiness but because of the places themselves)

image.png.65eb8502972d3a9822a9f959578ae939.png 

"Lacking even the most basic mechanical knowhow, Tim Moore sets out to cross Trumpland USA in an original Model T Ford. Armed only with a fan belt made of cotton, wooden wheels and a trunkload of 'wise-ass Limey liberal gumption', his route takes him exclusively through Donald-voting counties, meeting the everyday folks who voted red along the way.

He meets a people defined by extraordinary generosity, willing to shift heaven and earth to keep him on the road. And yet, this is clearly a nation in conflict with itself: citizens 'tooling up' in reaction to ever-increasing security fears; a healthcare system creaking to support sugar-loaded soda lovers; a disintegrating rust belt all but forgotten by the warring media and political classes."

I dunno there's like 5,000 different ways you could go - not all will be amazing but all should be pretty interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Kansas gets a bad rap, but last I drove it I took only 2 lane roads and really enjoyed the small towns. Stopped at every stoplight town to find old hardware stores and had fun. Also got scabies at a super 8 there, so ya know, gamblin'.

Avoid the super 8's in kansas, got it!

• Truth 1

6 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

What are you into or hoping to see?  You got a lot of choices here.

I have a few benching spots lined up on either coast but i've never traveled middle America too much. But those sort of spots can be found on my own.  Small town bars, thrift shops, Railroad museums, strip clubs, parades, flea markets,  large balls of yarn, ect. Like I was saying in an earlier comment, I really just don't have too much planned for the middle part of my journey until I get to the East coast. Thanks for reading!

2 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

read this for some suggestions.
UK writer crossing america in the trumpiest counties in the country in a model T ford

would definitely give you ideas of where to avoid. (not because of the trumpiness but because of the places themselves)

image.png.65eb8502972d3a9822a9f959578ae939.png 

I dunno there's like 5,000 different ways you could go - not all will be amazing but all should be pretty interesting.

This looks right up my alley, thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

If you’re going middle I’m not sure but if you fix it up more north definitely Minneapolis and Detroit. I stopped in the badlands up in Dakota too. That was pretty rad. Kansas City and Omaha and st.Louis for sure. 

(Respeck)

image.jpeg.96b52184904c17d2fca5befc4185fcef.jpeg

Ya know I hadn't thought about it too much but the Northern route might be cool, I had also planned on meeting a friend in Michigan so Detroit might work out nicely. I did a trip out to Colorado a few years back and got my car stuck in some snow for a few hours after trying to do some donuts, so my urge to go North had been at bay for a little while after 🙂 That was certainly not during July though so maybe now is the time! Ill have to check out some more spots along those lines. Appreciate you!

• Like 1