70's-00's MEMORIES... 12oz Personal Edition

misteraven

Okay so we've all been reminiscing and LOLing in the 80's-90's MEMORIES thread... Definitely a blast from the past and good fun to look back on. A recent post by @SMdoubleXL(and her response) got me thinking that it would be way more fun to actually post personal photos, rather than skim shit off the interwebz. 

So in honor of the Oontz and the opportunity for laughs, I decided to start this thread and will even post the same photo for you all to make fun of. So the way this works, is you post a personal photo (bonus points if its the age before digital) and add a little background to it.

Here's me in High School. I think it was about 10th grade, so that would put this at about 1989 or so. I'd already been going to punk shows for a few years wuith friends, was deep into Misfits and Sam Hain and started really getting serious about graffiti after being accepted into Free Agents, a graffiti crew presided then and now by @dekayfa that was super unique fort its time since it was all punk and skater kids ( @diggity) would join this crew many years later when Dekay had moved to Georgia and inspired a whole new wake of skater type kids to pickup graffiti and eventually join). Anyhow, these were some great times... Not quite a kid, but not quite an adult, listening to everything from punk, hardcore through to new wave and progressive music. Doing graffiti, going to parties, going to shows and just having fun at the expense of my High School education, which basically sucked right up until getting kicked out of High School about a year later. (Dekay also got kicked out).

Believe by about this point I had my first car, which was a 1972 El Camino Classic that was painted white and orange with house paint when I got it for something like $275. I spent about $20 for several cans of grey primer, another $20 for some Bondo and a yard worth of generic black carpet and switched the bench seat out for some bucket seats I stole out of another car somewhere. The car was a complete shit bucket that maybe got about 8 miles to the gallon. I never bothered insuring it and matter of fact, never even bother to register it. Those were the days when you could just steal a plate off a wreck out behind a mechanics shop and just hope cops didn't end up at a stoplight behind you. Good days and long before smartphones and internets. Kinda wish progress unrolled a little slower.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.49.19 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Props 11

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm gonna have to dust off photo albums for my shit and they're all at my parent's place

My mom always brought us to burlington coat factory to buy clothes and jackets we'd need during the year

Back then, for some fucking reason, Virginia was sooo fucking cold 

But shouts to burlington for hooking up a young kid with cheap gold

They actually sold north face mountain jackets DISCOUNTED cuz noone was buying the shit, especially in Virginia

I wore nothing else, and didnt figure it to be anything special 

apparently theres a cult following on this thing

Vintage The North Face Mountain Light Jacket Gore... - Depop

• Like 2
  • Props 3

1 minute ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

One of my first jobs was at a Burlington coat factory

those stores were filled with heat

i remember kids getting those starter puffer jackets that were half zip pullovers

i hated them shits...i always stuck with the tried and true

• Like 1
  • Truth 3

3 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

IDK about this.  A crafty individual could age enhance my pic and would know what I look like had I not turned ugly.

Feel free to opt out, but its ludicrous to think your image isn't stored across several databases. Unless you've literally never taken a school photo, gotten a drivers license, passport or a million other things while living your life in a hidey hole in the woods, you're photo is already in the system.

• LOL! 2

@misteraven- my Mom has the heat photos from the 70s and a few from the 80s, but unfortunately I have nothing to speak of that is a photo of myself as a teen. I know some old friends have some photos but I haven't seen or talked to any of them in twenty years or more. I'll have to dig through what I have and see if anything will qualify. But just so I'm sharing something... here's one from 1992 when I worked as the in-store artist at Tower Records in Dublin, CA.  

jerry002.jpg

• Like 5
  • Props 6

1 minute ago, Joker said:

@misteraven- my Mom has the heat photos from the 70s and a few from the 80s, but unfortunately I have nothing to speak of that is a photo of myself as a teen. I know some old friends have some photos but I haven't seen or talked to any of them in twenty years or more. I'll have to dig through what I have and see if anything will qualify. But just so I'm sharing something... here's one from 1992 when I worked as the in-store artist at Tower Records in Dublin, CA.  

jerry002.jpg

Ha! Definitely some West Coast steez right there!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Feel free to opt out, but its ludicrous to think your image isn't stored across several databases. Unless you've literally never taken a school photo, gotten a drivers license, passport or a million other things while living your life in a hidey hole in the woods, you're photo is already in the system.

You might have missed the joke in that.

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Drue_Down said:

Those Girbauds I’m rocking were most definitely bought at Burlington. My best friend and I knew when their shipments were coming in and we’d take the buses waaay the fuck out to the burbs to raid the racks for Girbaud & Cross Colours.

they had girbaud at burlington? lolol thats funny

the thing was, all those jeans were big as fuck...i usually wore carhartt and dickies

Just a few that weren’t too hard to locate (before I change my mind)  all pre digital age 

Im gonna guess 10th grade here 

F73E351F-43DA-4AE3-8020-1E1E99B743BC.thumb.jpeg.b83152db81f01c34d93fcf1c477bb1a2.jpeg
this was probably near the end of junior year/beginning senior year.  note  the pager in homegirl’s pocket and gold name plate necklace round my neck 3293953F-B0C2-4EAC-902B-7460E64037E6.thumb.jpeg.2eb59bd04ce71abdc3e74316ace4e45f.jpeg

me and the mini  she was near 2. Puts me at about 19. Photo dated 96 

84B2C477-4949-4B30-8564-08A7FBF6FEF1.thumb.jpeg.7f4f4b9e53f03c9ee270f0f169229b55.jpeg
these are dated also as  a lil more grown. A lot more attitude and sas   Photos are film photos with all kinds of “I spy” goin on in the background 

E66B6B32-9065-4D72-84C5-2180C90428D7.thumb.jpeg.d7d8561b8e639a6e23ee966928478e7f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 8

8 minutes ago, SMdoubleXL said:

@glorydays

was gonna get completed with something in the middle. Got it for The Hard Knock Life Tour. haha. Oh boy. I’m also a phenomenal decision maker 

but it only lived a few years and lies under a cover up. 

That hair thooo

how many tats do you have now

Edited by glorydays

1 minute ago, SMdoubleXL said:

That hair is what you did in 99. Plus I worked at a salon.  

lost count Of tattoos . But only a few good ones. 

i feel it...i always feel like tattoo prices here in cali are fucking high

but then again i dont want to visit a cheap tat artist

you never painted?

• Like 1

I don’t have many photos of me prior to 2000. I avoided pictures in high school during my peak graffiti days, we all did. Chicagoland in the early 90s was wild. Mad graffiti crew beef, snitches upon snitches, photo-mats snitching on graff photos, CPD & surrounding cities raiding homes and using photo albums as evidence.

We socialized with monikers, we switched up our monikers a lot, we stayed the fuck away from cameras, and we lived in the moment.... we were gonna live forever, so why bother recording the past? It’s sad, I don’t have any pictures of phenomenal friends, or even ex-girlfriends... unless parents took them.

I pulled out an album today and realized all my late teen pics include me smoking weed or drinking malt liquor. Here’s a few:

After my long hair phase 17-18, I let a girlfriend cut my hair and she fucked it up. I ended up shaving the sides and keeping it long on top. I was full on Faith No More. 

7B5FB4B4-C648-46B3-BE40-88B45F3A5474.jpeg.5bb865be2a4647e786ff92f1096d271f.jpeg4FCBF2C5-130E-49A5-A559-5651873BE218.jpeg.f6f549b497010da7dc923456af8e7338.jpeg

Not like anyone would notice, I wore fitted baseball caps, Kangols, and fisherman hats for 20 years straight.

17 & 18, early 90s:

12B883E5-661F-4C49-8149-B88EF480B38B.thumb.jpeg.e4eeb4a5af8070b94198acdd4843f179.jpeg

Chicago went through a phase of getting your tag name stitched into the back of your hat, what the fuck were we thinking?! 92-94, any other cities do this too?

69A1B557-06DE-46D3-AE8E-5532C2B49D42.thumb.jpeg.11b9fce53e9b64b84121212c45c94962.jpeg0CE8A082-E511-4D8C-93AF-1C1635B6B297.thumb.jpeg.24e7cd0723ffcd55213896a5731266a9.jpegD6AFA73A-D607-4398-AC30-5C97EE345110.thumb.jpeg.732890d43a89a5f96ee370dd35513783.jpeg

19-21:

FDC0492E-3CFF-4613-81EF-E090A8AB60AD.thumb.jpeg.93196a5e8c55be569449a8a73d423079.jpeg

EFF6DEF8-0726-4ED9-B8BC-FEEBFBEA8407.thumb.jpeg.31307f4a3d58de214e010577affd4373.jpeg

MAYOR DALEY’S GRAFFITI BLASTERS!

This was my apartment, I lived alone on the North Side of Chicago. Daley implemented a ban on all large markers and spray paint in Chicago. We had to go way out in the burbs to rack markers and streaks, and we’d drive to Indiana to buy Krylon for $1.80 a can. Any graff offense was a felony, possession of graff supplies was a felony, your fill-ins we’re lucky to run past 48 hours... it was a war against the city.

Hamm’s 40oz dude became my roommate a few years later, he was a well known battle MC in Chicago & NYC known as Presence. I spent many years working as an artist and digital marketing in Midwest hip hop, best days of my life.

The truck jewelry.
I’ve always has a fetish with ridiculous 80s rope chains, I still intend to buy a real one some day. See the caddy emblem? My crew and I used to steal hood ornaments all day, I fucking loved it when I was 12-17, I wish I still had my collection.

• Like 4
  • Props 5
  • LOL! 1

473D500D-98FD-4814-870B-DDE8A3319126.jpeg

Don’t quite remember the year but very early 2000’s. Best guess is likely summer 2002. NYC over the trauma of 9/11 but before they got it all dialed in and shit turned corporate as fuck. Can’t remember what even this was, only that I was drunk and having fun at a block / park party. Kids were skating, someone was DJing, 12oz was exploding and I was having fun. 

F8620E09-7D03-449C-973B-648166D2B095.jpeg

Think this was about 1996. @dekayfa, Ease, Shie, Rage and myself (Free Agents, Inkheads). This was before any of us living in NYC, but we knew a lot of people and it was starting to feel like a second home. 

• Like 5
  • Props 6

94F232A4-6788-41FA-AFF8-F7AE9FE6EF74.jpeg

Here’s some extra old school shit... Out taking graff flix with my dog. Believe this was 1985 or so. Rocking them cool vans and my sporty SoCal skate look. 

C03635D8-AC70-4883-BDE7-74E48EA3BB40.jpeg

First piece I was truly proud of, even if they were just simple blockbusters. Copyright 1989. 

60408BB5-8F38-4B6A-A7A1-83260E3FFCAC.jpeg

Can’t remember the exact year, but about halfway through college when I took a year off to do graffiti and drink lots of malt liquor in Savannah GA. Suppose that would make this 1993 or so. Freights there were easy and I got into doing clean readables most of the time. 

256AB827-08F5-4CCD-A434-EEF58B788880.jpeg

Cool group shot the day after hitting more freights. Went back the next day for clean day shots. Shie, me and Jel (Inkheads) around 1993. 

D35F1754-7329-466E-B70B-33B6FFBE1C80.jpeg

Fun little wall featuring a Bode mouse. Also Savannah, so still 1993. 

05647247-9FF0-442C-B50C-2F7D9E19397A.jpeg

More readable freight shit. 1994. 

• Like 9
  • Props 5

42 minutes ago, glorydays said:

@SMdoubleXLi'm not trying to offend but is that a fucked up wu-tang tat??

Here's my teenage hillbilly wu-tang story. Around the time i was in 11th grade they were going to do a show in Atlanta. This was right after the Wu-tang forever album came out and they were opening retail stores. My best friend at the time hyped it up and I was down. Well back then, there wasn't really a way, at least that we knew of to get tickets to a show thats 4 hours away. Atlanta was 3-4 hours away and my buddy had heard about it on the radio.  The day of the show came around, we hop in the car and drive down early so we can get tickets and good seats. We get to Lakewood and the place was trashed. Wu-tang flyers everywhere. I look down and pick one up and the show was the night before. Today that would we have just said fuck it, mapped our way to Lenox or some place else. But being the boy scouts that we were, we only brought a mapquest print out to get us to the show and back home.  Ended up back in the car driving home disappointed but we still had a good time. Looking back I can't imagine even having the money to get in. The whole thing was a complete failure but probably ended up better that way. 

Those days were filled with road trips not working out.

When I was 16, I lived about 90 minutes away from Dekay's Skate shop. Since I lived so far away, and cellphones weren't a normal thing back then, I would get up early and drive down, spend the afternoon, get some pizza and be back before dark. The only problem was that a lot of times I didn't take into account the shop might not be open the days it was suppose to be open. Many times all that was dependent on what kind of parties had gone on the night before or if the college was out or not so many times I came back empty handed. Also think this was around the time Dekay was spending a lot of time in NYC so Shie or Ease would be running the shop. Thats actually where I got my first introduction to graffiti. There was some 12oz magazines for sale and posters on the wall and I asked about them. Being from a small town I hadn't ever seen anything like it. Most of what I had seen done with spray paint up to that point was shit like"Jimmy Loves Jane" or racial slurs. Anyways, Ease was telling me all about things and I believe he is the one that told me how to find the roundhouse. I don't think he ever expected I would go down there. Timeline wise, this was right around the time Samors was being painted. I think Shie was working on that wall but i could be wrong. The Ease piece that was painted there remains to be one of my favorite pieces by him.

One time I went down for a skate competition. I wasn't sure of the start time so a sketchy guy i kinda knew a stayed over the night before, the kid i normally skated with wasn't able to go so he suggested i take this guy. He agreed to pay for half the gas and all food.  We were so excited we didn't end up going to sleep until like 3am or some shit. we got like 2-3 hours of sleep and wake up tired as fuck. We stop at the gas station to fill up before making the drive, I ended up paying for gas because he only had one check on him. He convinces me to stay away we need to take some yellow jackets to stay awake - I assume all of you know what those are but its basicly over the counter speed for truckers. Looking back I'm amazed they sold them to us because we were so young but I guess theres no age restriction on that kind of thing. So we both pop two, chase it with soda and hit the road. I felt fucking awful the whole day. jittery as fuck, couldn't eat anything, didn't put it together why until years later. Later we end up at the skate shop. Homeboy buys something at the skate shop with a check. Whole trip I felt sick, the kid never actually paid for anything and to top that off I think his check bounced at the skate shop. 

Most of the time I would calculate how much money I needed for the trip down to the penny. I'd normally only have enough to get me down there and back. maybe a slice of pizza and a coke. First time I actually met Dekay, A friend invited me out for Chinese. I only had like 5 bucks on me but didn't want to pass up a chance to meet these guys. I chose the cheapest shit on the menu - Chicken on a stick, and thought I was good since it was like 4.95. Totally didn't think about money for tax or tip or whatever. In my defense, I hadn't really gone out many places at that time in my life without my parents so I hadn't ever really thought about it. 

Those aren't great stories but since old times were brought up, WuTang and  I figured Raven would be able to relate to some of them a bit knowing the time period and people involved.

I'm not sure that I have any photos from that time of my life. I would say my entire life I have been really awful at documenting things. I can probably dig some up from college this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Props 3