27 dead in elementary school shooting

Eyar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100%juice (View Original Post)

how about the next person who randomly kills 5 or 6 people.. and then offs themselves..

we take their entire family, previous spouses, loved ones, everyone they ever had continuous contact with for more than 24 months and execute them immediately.

that might have some impact. because someone who is planning on dying after a rampage is not going to be threatened by consequences that are not incredibly dire and sweeping.

that might impress upon the next person who thinks they wont have any consequences.. while simultaneously keeping this psycho person from having any chance of their family making more psychos through procreation

you're not serious...right?

ya why not?

that shit would work.

Quote:

how about the next person who randomly kills 5 or 6 people.. and then offs themselves..

we take their entire family, previous spouses, loved ones, everyone they ever had continuous contact with for more than 24 months and execute them immediately.

that might have some impact. because someone who is planning on dying after a rampage is not going to be threatened by consequences that are not incredibly dire and sweeping.

that might impress upon the next person who thinks they wont have any consequences.. while simultaneously keeping this psycho person from having any chance of their family making more psychos through procreation

ya why not?

that shit would work.

What happens when it's their friends and family that the psycho attacks?

"Privileged white American men are also the ones most likely to feel the rage of “frustrated entitlement,” keenly aware of the disconnect between the affluence and autonomy they were taught was their birthright, and the anxiety and rejection that seems to characterize their daily experiences with others...."

Because it´s bullshit...anyone walking around with that much privilege deserves to have their ass kicked once in a while, and anyone who perceives me with prejudice as being privileged is more than welcome to walk around with me for a week and see how far from reality that concept is.

I´m not saying that what you quoted is bullshit, just how it tends to be applied in real life. It all comes down to whether someone like me (somewhat bigger/older white guy) gets a pass or not...if you do, you can get away with just about anything. Otherwise, everything you do is suspect.

People tend to interfere when it´s least needed then are nowhere to be found when it counts.

So we´re back on guns again. What happened to the mental health discussion, AKA the one that really matters? America lost the gun control battle before it even realized it was an issue, so unless you just want to vent or discuss it in academic terms don´t expect any societal improvement to come from that corner.

• Like 1

people with mental health issues are stigmatized, they are labelled as defective rather than treatable and locked away. Australia is currently trying to overhaul its very archaic mental health system (something I have experience with) though I'm not sure what it's like in the US. Simply creating new 'tags' for people to file them neatly away isn't going to help. Autism isn't going to cause you to go out and shoot people, I can only imagine how many autistic students are now getting sideways looks in hallways after Sandy Hook.

people with mental health issues are stigmatized, they are labelled as defective rather than treatable and locked away. Australia is currently trying to overhaul its very archaic mental health system (something I have experience with) though I'm not sure what it's like in the US. Simply creating new 'tags' for people to file them neatly away isn't going to help. Autism isn't going to cause you to go out and shoot people, I can only imagine how many autistic students are now getting sideways looks in hallways after Sandy Hook.

It´s probably worse here. The DSM-V is a joke because it just gave a bunch of already existing conditions (some may say personality traits) a name, which makes it easier for doctors to take the ¨let´s prescribe things until something sticks¨ approach. By the time the DSM-VI comes out, everyone will be crazy by definition...which isn´t funny, it´s almost like that´s the end goal.

I really want to have a better attitude about mental health care, because it´s something I need that I can´t seem to easily obtain...but all of my recent encounters with what´s available to me have been pretty unsatisfying. I can´t really blame the doctors when it´s a systemic problem, but you´d think they´d take a stand about the quality of care they´re able to offer if they´re truly in the field to help people.

I'm on a board that includes state health heads (I'm in the alcohol industry, grog is blamed for a lot of social/mental issues), and the problem is just such a rabbit hole. I always second motions to carry for new initiatives, but I do feel that preventative initiatives is what will save a lot of heart ache.

Not that I'm pretending to have anything helpful to put on the table in that regard.

The amount of programs/assistance in Australia is fairly good by world standards, but it's definitely an issue that no country has managed to control/understand/'fix'.

I wish I could have been recording the conversation I was having about education the other night.

The problem starts when you use a primarily goal oriented (grades) measure of success without considering what kind of pressure this might be putting on kids who can´t differentiate between what makes them happy and what makes their parents/teachers happy. For example- if a kid is having problems in math, what good is it going to do to penalize them and make them feel inferior based on a metric they don´t fully understand?

I´m not saying that grades are wrong or dumb, but the way that they´re utilized- as a measure of success and/or standing among their peers- is going to take a toll on some kids, especially kids who don´t get certain subjects right away that are eager to please their teachers and parents.

I don´t know if this makes sense or not, but it was one of the key points I was trying to make about how some problems can start early from mostly unexamined causes.

• Like 1

It certainly will take a toll, but in my experience, excelling at school isn't exactly a precursor to being accepted by peers.

Definitely agree that these things start early. I'd say a fair portion of people on this forum got into graffiti as a release from the rigidity of teenage social structures based on ridiculous assessments of someone's worth. Which 'group' you were in. Lord knows I had it bad AT school, and, whilst not comparable to this terrible act, I turned to criminal behaviour. If I hadn't found graffiti... who knows? I might've never screwed my head back on.

I'm rambling.

It certainly will take a toll, but in my experience, excelling at school isn't exactly a precursor to being accepted by peers.

Definitely agree that these things start early. I'd say a fair portion of people on this forum got into graffiti as a release from the rigidity of teenage social structures based on ridiculous assessments of someone's worth. Which 'group' you were in. Lord knows I had it bad AT school, and, whilst not comparable to this terrible act, I turned to criminal behaviour. If I hadn't found graffiti... who knows? I might've never screwed my head back on.

I'm rambling.

I just didn´t find school engaging. I didn´t have much in common with kids my age and most of the teachers weren´t inspired, they were just reading shit out of a book and expecting results....and it wasn´t that I turned to crime so much as the two things I got satisfaction out of (smoking weed and skateboarding) happened to be held in low regard where I grew up.

Whenever schools promote diversity I feel like they´re promoting the idea that the best/most successful examples from each group should get along and be successful together, then maybe their kids will get along...everyone else in the here and now can figure it out on their own, or not. What was the term I heard recently...I think it was ¨model minority¨ or something like that. It seems like the short term goal is more about establishing class boundaries than promoting tolerance.

Quote:

ya why not?

that shit would work.

So when some dude you kicked it with in middle school who also happens to be your sisters first husband goes nuts and kills some people then offs himself, you're cool with you and your sister going in front of the firing squad?

Or would this be more of a public stoning thing?

You sound like a real genius, buddy.

• 1 month later...