Would Salmonella make you quit eating sushi?

redeyedanimal

Will salmonella make you avoid sushi  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Pretty much every time you eat out you roll the dice of getting some kind of food poisoning so no, it wouldn't stop me. My cousin once got salmonella from a mille-feuille and it certainly hasn't stopped me eating cakes.

Anyway, people who eat sushi from a grocery store deserve food poisoning.

If i stopped eating oysters because of that one time i ate one and got laid out for a couple of days, and if i stopped eating cheese because my body doesn't process dairy and it ferments in my gut and makes me farty, and if i stopped eating cabeza because i thought face meat was gross, and if i stopped eating tongue because im tasting the thing that animals taste with, and if i stopped eating chicken feet because chickens walk on those, and then i stopped eating tuna cause it might make me sick...

Then i would be eating like Swamp. And i just can't do that.

actually, yesterday i was chillin with this girl im dating and we were both hella hungry and we decided on sushi..well, we both wanted to try somewhere we hadn't been to before...and since we have both been to all the good sushi restaurants out here and also didnt want to come out of the pocket too much anyways, we decided on hitting up this place we've both seen ads on tv about called umeko.

the ads called it an all you can eat sushi buffet, and we have actually been to a really good all you can eat sushi buffet place in davis, ca called fuji's that has pretty fresh fish....so we thought umeko might be just as good so we decided to give it a try....big mistake.

there wasnt too much of an option on sushi....the sashimi was frozen...i think a couple pieces hadnt thawed out cause they were frozen in the middle..no spicy tuna...and they drenched the rolls in waaaaay too much sauce...fucking gross sushi...actually the worst i've ever had...ever....the place in davis called fuji's is only a sushi buffet...meaning it only has japanese foods....but this umeko place also had fried rice and lo mein and pizza and garlic bread, etc etc....typical chinese/japanese/american fusion buffet...it was horrible.

we shouldve checked yelp before we went, but instead checked when we got back...it got bad reviews of course...we ended up spending about $35 and they didn't even sell alcohol there (she wanted a beer)..one of the people on yelp also mentioned that she got food poisoning....never again...from now on, im only eating sushi at super reputable places...places where there is a slim chance of actually getting food poisoning.

oh yeah, i texted her today asking if her farts smelled like rotting carcass flesh too...because mine sure as fuck did...lol

I think the issue is more that salmonella doesn't naturally occur in fish, it is a bacteria that originates in poultry. There had to be some serious cross contamination for salmonella to appear in tuna.

I would be more concerned about proper processing methods more than the bacterial risk. If chicken bacteria is on my fish, who fucked up and how bad? What else is tainted? etc...

^^True. The contamination can occur at any stage, hopefully suppliers are HACCP approved or have some similar qualification. Most of the time it pretty much comes down to staff knowledge, training and storage practices. like you said some serious cross contamination went down. Is it the same chain store or separate incidents? I've been in some kitchens where the rolls are just left out at room temp or on boards that have had raw meat on em. happens to easily to often.

I think the issue is more that salmonella doesn't naturally occur in fish, it is a bacteria that originates in poultry. There had to be some serious cross contamination for salmonella to appear in tuna.

I would be more concerned about proper processing methods more than the bacterial risk. If chicken bacteria is on my fish, who fucked up and how bad? What else is tainted? etc...

I've eaten my fair share of sketchy things and managed to live through it, and also gotten food poisoning more than a few times from stuff I never would have thought twice about.

This is why I pay attention when people who work in the restaurant biz tell me to avoid a spot more than when they recommend one.

Point being, you never really know. All you can hope for is that the people in the kitchen are at least trying to keep things somewhat clean.

Something tells me that the sushi in question wasn't made to order (think Caligula's mystery rolls in Sac). So if you were to spend a few more bucks and go to a restaurant where they do the prep at the bar in front of you, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

In my experience, bad fish is really easy to spot. It's usually a lot darker, sometimes has a kind of iridescent sheen, and it smells like...well, it smells very strongly of fish. Fresh fish doesn't smell like much of anything and is a lot lighter in color.

On a side note, I had a housemate who seems to be able to eat just about anything as long as he cooks the shit out of it (think 160 degrees F and up for over ten minutes). This has included some seriously funky stuff that I was begging him to throw out because not only did I not want to watch him eat it, I didn't want to smell it when it was cooking. But more often than not he'd go right ahead and prepare it then eat it with no ill effects.

Like I said, there's really no telling but I try to error on the side of caution with certain kinds of food. Anything raw should be either washed or cooked (or sometimes both, in case you want to be really careful).