Art/Design school Discussion thread

injury

Everyone is gonna call me a giant faggot for this thread. Eh. It's channel zero.

Anyways,

After I graduate I want to be involved in a field like advertising design, which will hopefully combine my current undergraduate degree (BS) with something that lets me draw or design things sometimes. I need a working knowledge of design theory and design software to get to this step. So i've decided that, once I save the money (and take out the loans :( ), it'd benefit me to get some sort of art degree.

For those of you in art school (particularly design), please chime in. Everyone else you can post pictures of buttholes or whatever gets yall off this week.

Should i go bachelors? Associate? Depends on the school?

Is it a total waste of my time and money? Should I self-teach? Take a class or two? What's good? I have never had any sort of formal art education.

Schools around me are as much as $1,500/credit. That's disposable income I won't be making for 10-12 years. So this would be a potentially enormous mistake to make, if it becomes one. This thread is just second opinion.

Lemme know. Thanks in advance.

tumblr_lrw3rth0mY1qgh1fzo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I would probably go with an a associates its quicker to obtain but in most cases to get a design position

at any place there is no substitute for experience, build up a portfolio and whoring yourself (selling yourself)

As for design programs you can self teach alot, also there are plenty of free

programs you can download, best bet you a few design theory and a job in a print shop

If you want to make any sort of money and have a career, stay away from design.

Design is highly competitive, so a million kids are all fighting for the same low paying job.

Coding pays you more than most lawyers, as well as SEO (which is dying.)

I have a BFA in Studio Art & Vis Com, and a MFA in Vis Com. Those degrees aren't worth shit to me, my employers, or my clients.

I started doing graphic design & corporate identity in the mid-90's.

Too much stress, not enough $.

Went into web design at the turn of the century.

less stress, more money.

I started doing SEO in 02 and kept on it through last year, still designing websites & logos here n there.

Easy as shit, lots of money.

Now all I do is consult.

Tons of money, barely any work, but you got to have client facing skills.

Sure I am up late doing a PowerPoint, but it is mainly a talking piece for a meeting tomorrow.

I concentrate on digital marketing strategies & tactics, UX, calls to action, lifecycle (mobile & email), SEO best practices, and some general knowledge of analytics, audience/keyword research, paid & display.

If you want a career in advertising/marketing, keep in mind print is dead.

I don't know shit about TV & commercials, perhaps that is lucrative.

PHP developers are in high demand, and well compensated.

Stay away from Flash, but you could make decent coin doing creative HTML5 designs.

I guess what I am saying is leave the art shit as a hobby, and set yourself up for a career in advertising. A marketing degree with some communications and visual communications will be your best bet.

Art school is a waste of $$$$$$$, and you'll be stuck around a bunch of trustfuckians & rich Asians who drag down the class.

• Like 3

art school seems like a complete waste of time and money, all of the final project shows i have ever gone to have just been a total fucking joke. of course a few shine hard, but they would be with out the school anyways, people who suck at art will always just suck. they go to fucking art school and learn how to explain why there shit doesn't suck. can't polish a turd.

just youtube that shit nurggie. dat art shit man..... nah son naaahh, tuck ya chain.

I went to art school and it was fucking awesome. I did get the ill scholarship so the $$$ wasn't much of an issue, and I'm about 6 months away from finishing paying up the loans I did get. If you're mostly a judgmental asshole who doesn't like other people you'll probably have a miserable time, but if you're open minded and don't get annoyed by other people's bullshit pretentions, and instead focus on learning and improving your own skills while using the resources available to you at school, you'll be golden.

I also worked in advertising for 5 years and it was an incredible learning experience, but extremely stressful and unrewarding. I did really well in the field and got to a top level position (creative director) but in the end I wasn't really passionate about it and it was eating me up alive.

If you wanna be a graphics grunt forever that's one thing, but if you wanna move up as art director and onwards (where the real money starts to come in) you have to develop serious conceptualizing skills and become completely obsessed with ideas. The fanciest design skills in the world won't mean anything if there aren't strong (read: award-winning) ideas behind it, and that's much harder than being really good at Photoshop.

but in the end I wasn't really passionate about it and it was eating me up alive.

That is the other issue. I'd prob be happier drawing cartoon characters all day, and although I'm really good at it, I know kids who just blow shit up and I could never compete with that.

My last job would have been a dream job for 99% of the posters here, but after 5.5 years, I realized I had fun at work, but I wasn't fulfilled. I spent most of my days drunk or surfing the web. Cool if you're 25, not so cool if you're 35 and a family man.

Easy jobs suck after a while, I need to be challenged and do new things, take risks.

I'm really good at what I do now, and I don't pull any grunt detail, so I have never been happier or more satisfied. I work with people I respect, and they respect me, which is HUGE!

I guess you need to ask yourself what job would you do for free if $$ wasn't an issue, then try to find that job for real (but one that pays well.)

i go to artschool. at first it was cool but then i realized the teachers giving me advice were washed up nobodies and alcoholics whos actual art sucked and they constantly tell me to do the exact opposite of what i want to do/what im interested in. when my course is done id rather be a graffiti loser

I highly recommend advertizing. Whether we all want to admit it or not...graffiti is marketing in its rawest form. A form where quality, quantity, stratigic placement and delivery will separate you from the others...and if that's not challenging enough, we pull this off on a shoe string budget. Fun right?

I would have never guessed that all these years of marketing myself on the streets, It was actually my stepping stone to corporate marketing. Just my opinion but now adays whenever I catch a TV spot I scripted, billboard I contracted someone ELSE to design, people recognizing my products and services in other countries, ect....that's just as much as a rush as me catching my graffiti. The biggest difference is I get paid fist fulls to spend other peoples money...other than that the game is the same and just as exciting.

U already know what u can do with pocket change, racking skills, consistancy, and dedication. Imagine what u can achieve when a company budgets u $60,000 a month

• Like 1

honestly, it could go either way. If you dont know shit about design at all. community college is a good start and it will save you a ton of money. Like whoever said, it ends up being about your portfolio. And if you go to fancy design school, (like i did) that shit cost a fortune, not to mention all the money you have to put in to your projects to make shit look tight to compete.

Also Im in a dying minority. I still have a print design job which i actually love. but as far as future prospects its pretty sketchy. I dont want to end up going back to school. But right now im planning on taking a class to learn to do what i do now for ipads and other digital shit. You have to constantly keep evolving.

What I studied in school was nothing related to art, but I figure anything art-related I've been commissioned to do is based on the portfolio. In my opinion I think they find the portfolio to be more important than the degree.

I went to art school and it was fucking awesome. I did get the ill scholarship so the $$$ wasn't much of an issue, and I'm about 6 months away from finishing paying up the loans I did get. If you're mostly a judgmental asshole who doesn't like other people you'll probably have a miserable time, but if you're open minded and don't get annoyed by other people's bullshit pretentions, and instead focus on learning and improving your own skills while using the resources available to you at school, you'll be golden.

I also worked in advertising for 5 years and it was an incredible learning experience, but extremely stressful and unrewarding. I did really well in the field and got to a top level position (creative director) but in the end I wasn't really passionate about it and it was eating me up alive.

If you wanna be a graphics grunt forever that's one thing, but if you wanna move up as art director and onwards (where the real money starts to come in) you have to develop serious conceptualizing skills and become completely obsessed with ideas. The fanciest design skills in the world won't mean anything if there aren't strong (read: award-winning) ideas behind it, and that's much harder than being really good at Photoshop.

Had to spread rep. Thanks to all that contributed. This was real helpful.

I stole that terrific picture from Realism.

I have an art degree, my interests lie in fine art, I tend to think most designers are frauds.

I know designers without jobs, I know entry level slaves, and I know guys w dayrates like fucking lawyers.

BUt whoever said it is oversaturated is spot on, so if you decide to do this (which I think you shouldn't) you better be fucking ready to grind.

I took some art classes at a city college which is basically just as cheap as community college and i learned a good amount of stuff. The basic skills for drawing/painting. I guess if you peruse it your work will get alot better, not necessarily because you are learning alot, but more because your doing so much of it everyday for 4 years. You probably will get sick of art and once you graduate never want to do it for enjoyment ever again.

I have two friends who went to art school. One went on to become a reasonably compensated illustrator who makes a living drawing. The other finished school and realized he could not take the ten dollar an hour pay cut to get the entry level jobs that were available to him.

All that IT and creative shit is about what you can do, degrees matter only in certain executive positions in so far as I can tell.

My unrelated 0.02.

im currently enrolled as an Art B.A. but i havent chosen a concentration yet. recently ive been feeling like i want to switch my major to Music/sound engineering, seeing as how DJing/making shit has been my main focus for a while, and possibly drop art to my minor? because ultimately i feel like art is more of a hobby to me, although, i still want to have some formal education in that area.