MOCA Art in the Streets Los Angeles.............................

Poesia [ ] T

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be there on saturday.

i don't want to look at a ton of pictures so i won't know exactly what to expect. the lineup of artists looks pretty tight though.

on an unrelated note: i wish i had gone to the exhibition before this too. heard it was awesome.

someone emailed me this today and i sure sounds like some cry babby bullshit, granted moca didn't resperesnt plenty o deserving writaz. but lets be honest this nigga sounds like a faggot for writting dis shit. and u know it is toned down from how he really feels. strait clown status! any one know who wrote it? ewok msk or ewok kd? I thought MSK was down with Deitch and Roger Gastmen, but this nigga straight sonnin them, calling roger a toy LOL! nigga is real U MAD?!

Apr 17, 2011

Open letter to Jeffrey Deitch.....

It's politics as usual in the art world... On one side of a spectrum I can be very proud for some of the friends and legends who had the opportunity to be showcased in the MOCA this past week. But on the other end of the spectrum I find it pretty amazing how someone can be presented on the covers of not 1, but 2 separate NEW YORK CITY Graffiti books as like it or not, a staple landmark of this era's NYC writer with now 21 (fully active) yrs under my belt. Still, cast aside by a gallery curator with a line something like "anyone who has ever made any impact is in this show" - don't quote me exactly but something of that nature..... Anyways without going into a long drawn out and negative post on the topic I can only say on behalf of Jeffrey Deitch, I hope when he brings his show to the Brooklyn Museum in March of 2012, that he redeems himself and does the right thing for a lot of the people who have been left out of such a historic opportunity, and to tell a proper historic time line. My first suggestion to Mr. Deitch would be to find someone else with a little more of an ear to the street then Roger Gastman ( all due respects, I've known you for many years) who has really been out of direct touch with graffiti since his magazine in the 90's, only since taking part in a Hello Kitty / art show and now publishing a book on The History of American Graffiti, to which yet again I am mysteriously absent from, yet all the people I came up along side are included, but this is another topic for another entry. For the Hello Kitty show, I don't see anything wrong with including your favorites or the usual suspects in something like that, but there is an enormous responsibility when your job is to tell a historic time line in a museum environment. If you know this going in, its ok to admit you cannot properly accomplish this task all alone, and ask for help, it would've been the right thing to do... or at least pass the torch to someone ( or multiple someones) who can do it without playing sides, or misuse the position to make a power play for some, and leaving out other deserving people. When history is involved there is just to much at stake. I'm not posting this to bash anyone's efforts, but humbly hope that one of these 2 individuals will have this pop up on their own Google Alerts and hope that this can make a change for the better coming this March in NYC.

That business aside, there was some incredible work done by a lot of the people involved as seen in the post below this, from those people I expected nothing less then them swinging for the fences, Mode2, Reas, Ayer(Revok) Cartoon, Saber, Ramelzee showcase, Henry Chalfant, Lee, Haze,Retna, all did some outstanding work..... Congratulations to everyone involved! Respectably though I can name at least 25 other MANDATORY individuals that should have been included based on their global influences on our culture alone, not to mention the cross over impact of many I would add, like Daim or Doze Green,etc etc....or even Cope2, I can't really find rationality that explains why Cope 2 was not included in this event, or unsung heroes like Sento or Ghost or Tats Crew, I could go on and on... but this isnlt the time or place. But I know I am not alone when I say this stuff. I've spoken to a handful of "legends" over the last few weeks that all had pretty much the same thing to say....

2 major books apparently under the radar of another book publisher who was brought on board to be the ear to the streets for Mr. Deitch.... If this doesn't seem like politics to you, I dunno what to tell you.....

For what it's worth, it's comforting for me to know, that there are major players who had the red carpet rolled out for them in this past MOCA show who own and have purcha$ed art from me directly in past, so in some ways it puts all of this into perspective of how odd this art life we live is viewed by those who claim to be an authority on what is what.

-Ewok