What did you learn from wikipedia today?

dowmagik

i spend far too much damn time on wikipedia. today i found a gem:

VH1 Classic, an American cable television station, ran a charity event for Hurricane Katrina relief in 2006. Viewers who made donations were allowed to choose which music videos the station would play. One viewer donated $35,000 for the right to program an entire hour and requested continuous play of Nena's "99 Luftballons" and "99 Red Balloons" videos for an entire hour. The station broadcast the videos as requested from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. EST on 26 March 2006

---

some person spending 35 grand for vh1 to play a german song about nuclear war for an entire hour = super cool.

---

What did you learn today from wiki??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_matanzaLa_matanza

The peasant uprising of 1932, also known as La matanza ("The Slaughter"),[1] was a brief, peasant-led rebellion that occurred in January 22 of that year in the western departments of El Salvador. The uprising was quickly suppressed by the government, then led by Maximiliano Hernández Martínez, and whose army was vastly superior in terms of weapons and soldiers, who then proceed execute anyone who stood against it. The rebellion was a mixture of protest and insurrection and ended in ethnocide,[2] claiming the lives of anywhere between 10,000 and 40,000[3] peasants and other civilians, many of them indigenous people.[4]

^^^ "Who are these people?"

jerry_seinfeld.jpg

A critical favorite, commercial blockbuster and cultural phenomenon, the show led the Nielsen ratings in its sixth and ninth seasons and finished among the top two (along with NBC's ER) every year from 1994 to 1998.[1] In 2002, TV Guide named Seinfeld as the greatest television program of all time.[2] In 2008, Entertainment Weekly ranked Seinfeld as the third best show of the last 25 years, behind The Sopranos and The Simpsons.

Main article: List of awards and nominations received by Meryl Streep

Streep holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations of any actor, having been nominated 16 times since her first nomination in 1979 for The Deer Hunter (13 for Best Actress and 3 for Best Supporting Actress).

Meryl Streep is the most nominated performer for a Golden Globe Award as well (she has 25 nominations as of 2009 and has won the most overall when she won for Julie & Julia in 2010). Streep received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In 2003, she was awarded an honorary César Award by the French Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma. In 2004 at the Moscow International Film Festival, Meryl Streep was honored with the Stanislavsky Award for the outstanding achievement in the career of acting and devotion to the principles of Stanislavsky's school.

In 2004, Streep received the AFI Life Achievement Award.

In 2009, she was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts by Princeton University.[43]

Sarah Silverman is a fan of Jenny Lewis and appeared in Lewis' music video for the song "Rise Up With Fists!!" She is also a fan of comedian Steve Martin, who was one of her major inspirations as a younger comedian.[12] Silverman enjoys playing Scrabble on the Internet. One of her regular opponents is Alyssa Milano, who lives in the same building as she.[30][40] She credited comedian Tig Notaro as one of her best friends in an interview in The Advocate.[37]

I read an absolutely absurd amount of Wikipedia, and it allowed me to expand my already vast knowledge of "a little bit about alot of things" to incredible new heights.

On a related note, I told my boy the other day that you could edit Wikipedia, and he's been going crazy since, like a kid in a candy store.

The Orion Project (nuclear propulsion)

Project Orion was the first engineering design study of a spacecraft powered by nuclear pulse propulsion, an idea proposed first by Stanisław Ulam during 1947. The project, initiated in 1958, envisioned the explosion of atomic bombs behind the craft and was led by Ted Taylor at General Atomics and physicist Freeman Dyson, who at Taylor's request took a year away from the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton to work on the project.

By using energetic nuclear power, the Orion concept offered high thrust and high specific impulse (10 to 1,000 km/s[1]) at the same time; the optimum combination for spacecraft propulsion. As a qualitative comparison, traditional chemical rockets (the Moon-class Saturn V or the Space Shuttle being prime examples) provide (rather) high thrust, but low specific impulse, whereas ion engines do the opposite. Orion would have offered performance greater than the most advanced conventional or nuclear rocket engines now being studied. Cheap interplanetary travel was the goal of the Orion Project. Its supporters felt that it had potential for space travel, but it lost political approval over concerns with fallout from its propulsion.[2] The Partial Test Ban Treaty of 1963 is generally acknowledged to have ended the project.

I read an absolutely absurd amount of Wikipedia, and it allowed me to expand my already vast knowledge of "a little bit about alot of things" to incredible new heights.

Truth. Every single time I see or hear anything remotely interesting, I'm usually on wikipedia shortly after.

Last article I read was Israel Vs. Palenstine, because I know absolutely jack shit about it.

Nigella is a genus of about 14 species of annual plants in the family Ranunculaceae, native to southern Europe, north Africa and southwest Asia. Common names applied to members of this genus are Devil-in-a-bush or Love in a mist.

The species grow to 20-90 cm tall, with finely divided leaves, the leaf segments narrowly linear to threadlike. The flowers are white, yellow, pink, pale blue or pale purple, with 5-10 petals. The fruit is a capsule composed of several united follicles, each containing numerous seeds; in some species (e.g. Nigella damascena), the capsule is large and inflated.

I was baking some nann bread and it called for nigella and i had absolutely no clue what the piss it was being an american.

12oz Prophet, created in 1993, is an online magazine featuring articles, pictures, and interviews related to graffiti. In the past it was a print magazine; however, today it exists in the form of an online magazine with an online forum and store.

[edit]History

12oz Prophet Magazine was conceived in early 1993 by Allen Benedikt, while he attended the Rhode Island School of Design. The first issue of 12oz Prophet was created as a design project for school credit and with the intentions of sparking competition among the graffiti zines of the time.

Midway through development of the third issue, Caleb Neelon, a comparative classic literature major attending nearby Brown University joined the team as copy editor. Cody Hudson also joined as a chief collaborator. By the time it was published, the magazine had come into its own. The issue was among the earliest interviews with Barry McGee (also known as Twist), who was largely unknown outside of San Francisco at the time.

Benedikt, Hudson, and Neelon continued their work with the magazine for another several issues, until releasing the sixth issue in 1998. The main feature of this issue was a feature on twin brothers from São Paulo, Brazil, calling themselves Os Gêmeos, who had been introduced to Benedikt by Barry McGee several years earlier. This issue had the first interview of Os Gêmeos, and also the first images of their artwork shown outside of South America. This was also the last issue to be released.

In 2000, the same crew behind 12oz Prophet released a new zine entitled, TheVapors Project, which focused entirely on the illegal aspects of graffiti, as opposed to the artistic side that had been thoroughly documented in 12oz Prophet. It is unknown why 12oz Prophet Magazine never saw another issue after #6, or why TheVapors Project never continued past the premier issue.

Paralleling their work with 12oz Prophet Magazine, the crew also founded the first major graffiti mail order company operating under the name Straight From The Bottom (presumably in reference to its geographic location in Miami) in 1994. This company eventually evolved into 7th Heaven several years later after expanding beyond graffiti paraphernalia to also include early street wear brands, books, and other products with a broader appeal. 7th Heaven was shut down suddenly in the summer of 2000 when the 12oz Prophet offices officially closed, and the remaining crew moved to New York City. The mail order company founded by 12oz Prophet saw a rebirth in 2002 as an online shop operating as fourthehardway.

In January 2009, the 12oz Prophet forum reached 4,750,000 posts making it the largest graffiti forum on the internet and in the top 400 for all message boards online according to big-boards.com.

[edit]The website

Taking an entirely different approach than graffiti.org (also known as artcrimes.com), which was built to be a worldwide graffiti photo repository, 12oz Prophet sought to establish itself as a virtual "writers bench" or meeting place since alt.graffiti had lost its relevance. The message board component known as The Writers Forum has remained the hub of the site almost since its beginnings, and for several years (particularly after the Magazine was out of publication), was the only section. Over the years, The Writers Forum has seen notable figures pass through and participate in discussion including Futura 2000, Susan Farrel (founder of artcrimes.com), Marc Ecko, Mike Giant, Revok MSK, Rime MSK, Skuf YKK amongst others.

Benedikt, Hudson, and Neelon have reappeared under the name Also Known As, and in September 2005, they released the premier volume of a self titled book series, again focusing predominantly on graffiti and oontzing. Wonk saggin.

Nigella is a genus of about 14 species of annual plants in the family Ranunculaceae, native to southern Europe, north Africa and southwest Asia. Common names applied to members of this genus are Devil-in-a-bush or Love in a mist.

The species grow to 20-90 cm tall, with finely divided leaves, the leaf segments narrowly linear to threadlike. The flowers are white, yellow, pink, pale blue or pale purple, with 5-10 petals. The fruit is a capsule composed of several united follicles, each containing numerous seeds; in some species (e.g. Nigella damascena), the capsule is large and inflated.

I was baking some nann bread and it called for nigella and i had absolutely no clue what the piss it was being an american.

nigella2203G_468x714.jpg

Nigella Lucy Lawson (born 6 January 1960) is an English food writer, journalist and broadcaster. Lawson was born to Nigel Lawson, a former Chancellor of the Exchequer, and Vanessa Salmon, whose family owned the J. Lyons and Co. empire. After graduating from Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University, Lawson started to work as a book reviewer and restaurant critic, later becoming the deputy literary editor of The Sunday Times in 1986. She then embarked upon a career as a freelance journalist, writing for a number of newspapers and magazines. In 1998, Lawson brought out her first cookery book, How to Eat, which sold 300,000 copies and became a bestseller. She went on to write her second book in 2000, How to be a Domestic Goddess, winning her the British Book Award for Author of The Year.

Cetirizine crosses the blood-brain barrier only slightly, eliminating the sedative side-effect common with older antihistamines; however it still causes mild drowsiness.[2] It has also been shown to inhibit eosinophil chemotaxis and LTB4 release. At a dosage of 20 mg, Boone et al. found that it inhibited the expression of VCAM-1 in patients with atopic dermatitis.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

HansUlrichRudel.JPG.jpeg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-655-5976-04%2C_Russland%2C_Sturzkampfbomber_Junkers_Ju_87_G.jpg

On one occasion, after trying a landing to rescue two downed novice Stuka crewmen and then not being able to take off again due to the muddy conditions, he and his three companions, while being chased for 6 km by Soviet soldiers, made their way down a steep cliff by sliding down trees, then swam 600 meters across the icy Dniester river, during which his rear gunner, Knight's cross holder Henschel, succumbed to the cold water and drowned. Several miles further towards the German lines the three survivors were then captured by Soviets, but the irrepressible Rudel again made a run for it, and despite being barefoot and in soaking clothes, getting shot in his shoulder, and then being hunted down by dog packs and several hundred pursuers, jogged his way back to his own side over semi-frozen earth during the following days.[6] He became infamous among the Soviet Red Falcon pilots who could often be heard receiving orders to "get that Nazi swine in the Stuka with the two bars who keeps shooting up our tanks", the bars being a reference to the two Bordkanone on the Ju87G. Eventually a 100,000 ruble bounty was placed on his head by Stalin himself.

According to official Luftwaffe figures, Rudel flew some 2,530 combat missions (a world record)[Notes 2], during which he destroyed almost 2,000 ground targets (among them 519 tanks, 70 assault craft/landing boats, 150 self-propelled guns, 4 armored trains, and 800 other vehicles) as well as 9 planes (2 Il-2's and 7 fighters). He also responsible for the sinking of the Soviet battleship Marat, two cruisers and a destroyer. He was never shot down by another pilot, only by anti-aircraft artillery. He was shot down or forced to land 32 times, several times behind enemy lines.

200px-Symbionese_Liberation_Army_Naga_Symbol_color.svg.png

The Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) was an American self-styled militant group active between 1973 and 1975 that considered itself a revolutionary vanguard army. The group committed bank robberies, two murders and other acts of violence.

The SLA became internationally notorious for kidnapping media heiress Patty Hearst, abducting the 19-year-old as she and her 26-year-old boyfriend, Steven Weed, sat relaxing in their Berkeley, California home. National interest grew into worldwide fascination when Hearst, in audiotaped messages delivered to (and broadcast by) regional news media, denounced her parents and announced she had joined the SLA. She was subsequently observed participating in their illegal activities. Hearst later alleged that she had been held in close confinement, sexually assaulted and brainwashed.

I was really fascinated with the SLA when I lived in SF.