Blockbuster & Hollywood Video are getting owned

KILZ FILLZ

blockbuster music was my shit back in the day, got my pennywise cd's and thrasher mags in that bitch,

and if i was too broke to buy a tape or cd, i'd just chill at the "music sampling counter" and listen to a

bunch of cd's while reading my skate mags. back when you could pick out cd's to sample and they would

open them and let you listen to them before purchase.

as for my movie renting/watching nowadays, on demand all day.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few friends like you and it baffles me. why watch a movie if you aren't going to watch a movie?? if you want background noise put on the fucking television.

That conduct transcends movie watching at least with my friends. Motherfuckers with the worst Music etiquette. Put on an album then skips through it or just listens to one song then goes to the next album. I attribute it to them having shit taste in music. FUUUUUU

i used to go to this one little local movie store that doubled as a baby sitter or something.it was nice and the old lady there was fucking awesome.she was soo sweet and yet watched the most insane shit ever.like the most gorey movies i have ever seen.i would talk like twenty minutes with her and she would tell me about all these fucked up foreign films and shit.thats how i found out about faces of death.i was like 10 at the time.i never thought about how inappropriate it was to suggest that movie to me until now haha.anyways they closed down and that makes me sad :cry2:

I have a few friends like you and it baffles me. why watch a movie if you aren't going to watch a movie?? if you want background noise put on the fucking television.

No i start and finish almost any movie. When Im not going to watch the beginning or what ever its only on movies Ive seen before and usually comedies without strong story lines. Like the other day I did it and used Waterboy as my movie. That type you can come back to at any point, enjoy it, and dont always have to finish it. Plus NetFlix will save your place if you reload a movie within the same day, or if you havent logged off.

this is one of the reasons why i stopped renting from blockbuster:

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2005/03/28/daily19.html

Blockbuster settles late fees claims

Denver Business Journal

Blockbuster Inc. has agreed to pay $650,000 to settle claims by several states, including Colorado, that its "No Late Fees" advertising campaign deceived consumers.

The movie-rental company will give refunds or credits to customers who claim they were misled by the ads, according to the agreement. The retailer also will "dramatically alter" how it advertises no late fees, and add signs to stores explaining the policy's fine print.

Blockbuster, which is based in Dallas, is the country's largest movie rental company. It trades on the New York Stock Exchange using the symbol BBI.

"Blockbuster's 'No Late Fee' promotion misled some consumers," Colorado Attorney General John Suthers said in a statement. "This settlement involves a termination of the misleading advertising and an effort by the company to rectify damage caused to those who were misled."

Colorado has 125 Blockbuster stores, most of them company-owned.

New Jersey, which filed its own suit against Blockbuster in February, as well as Vermont and New Hampshire, aren't included in the settlement.

Blockbuster spokeswoman Karen Raskopf told the Associated Press the company will continue its "No Late Fees" program, but will add signs that clarify how it works.

"We think our original communications were very clear, but we're happy to do whatever we can to add additional communication to better inform our customers," Raskopf said.

The recent settlement isn't Blockbuster's first related to late fees.

In 2002, the movie rental company settled a Texas class-action suit filed in 2000 alleging Blockbuster charged excessive late fees. Similar suits were filed, and settled, in several other states.

Blockbuster launched its "No Late Fees" campaign in January to compete with rivals such as Netflix Inc., which mails DVD movies to customers and charges a flat, $17.99 monthly fee for rentals. Netflix customers can keep a movie as long as they want, but they can't get a new one until the already rented one is returned.

Via Blockbuster's original program, customers supposedly could rent videos, DVDs and video games for as long as they wanted, as well. But Blockbuster still assigned due dates, and if customers kept a rental longer than seven days after the due date, the rental automatically converted to a sale, according to the Colorado Attorney General's office.

When the customer returned the video or game, they were charged its sales price. A $1.25, or higher, "restocking fee" also was added to the cost of a returned rental.

Blockbuster's movie rental fee is roughly $4.75, but videos and DVDs can cost more $20 to purchase. Video game prices can run $50 and more.

According to the settlement, Blockbuster will no longer advertise its "No Late Fee" program, unless ads also disclose other possible fees and charges. The company also will immediately remove exterior and interior signs advertising the program.

All company-owned Blockbuster stores now must "clearly and conspicuously" display the chain's policy on returning rentals, including late returns. Blockbuster will ask its franchise stores to do the same.

The Texas company will prominently display those terms on its Web site, as well.

Blockbuster has more than 5,600 company-owned stores nationwide, and franchisees operate another 1,100 stores. Half the franchisees decided not to adopt the "No Late Fees" program, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

The movie-rental company spun off from media giant Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA) in 2004.

For that year, Blockbuster reported a net loss of $1.26 billion, which was 28 percent higher than the previous year's loss. Revenue increased 2 percent to a little more than $6 billion.

Blockbuster also is locked in a takeover bid for rival Hollywood Entertainment Corp.

The Dallas company has offered $991 million for Hollywood Entertainment (NasdaqNM: HLYW), which has 2,000 Hollywood Video stores nationwide. But Hollywood Entertainment is being purchased by smaller competitor Movie Gallery Inc. (NasdaqNM: MOVI), and has urged shareholders to reject Blockbuster's hostile bid.

Hollywood Entertainment's former chief executive, Mark Wattles, now owns controlling interest in Colorado's bankrupt Ultimate Electronics Inc. and is its CEO. Thornton-based Ultimate (ULTEQ:PK), owner of Ultimate Electronics and SoundTrack home electronics stores, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in January.

also, prior to all of that they applied late fees when none were warranted. fuck them and their limited mormon approved selections.

I remember when Blockbuster used to require a credit card for membership, rape you with extra charges, and generally suck.

The first company to do the hair employee drug test that I heard also.

Fuck Blockbuster.

word.and personally that drug testing thing is bullshit.i personally believe that stoners give better movie advice.they make everything sound cooler and generally watch waaaaaay more movies.

the amount of screening for a job AND the amount of bullshit a job involves, are always inversely proportionate to the amount of money you make.

I've been grilled like crazy for menial ass jobs, then hired after a few questions for a job that puts me in control of tens of thousands of dollars worth of shit every day. its retarded.

I just started streaming Netflix and rent from the Redbox all the time, or just buy movies. Shit is convenient and I got a store down the street that has their Redbox outside, so you can rent 24/7. They are popular as hell here, some supermarkets have ordered 2nd units in store so the customers have a better chance of getting what they want and the lines are a little shorter (they often have lines at them).

I've noticed Blockbuster is copying Redbox and made its own instant movie rental dispenser thing, which is turning up at a lot of convenient stores here. I've used this before and the prices are the same, but the BB ones have a video screen attached for previews and promo shit.

I think Blockbuster could have saved themselves long ago if they had just delivered/picked up movies when Netflix first entered the market. There was a Blockbuster in pretty much every town here, sometimes two, and if they had done this then Netflix might not have gotten so popular.

I rent movie every week.

Blockbuster Online owns Netflix all day. Last time I compared the two BlockBuster actually had a wider selection of titles. Concerts, skate vids, documentaries, netflix was hurting on that. Plus with blockbuster online you can swap your online rentals in the stores a few times a month to unlimited depending on the plan.

I'm not on the downloading movies tip and probably never will be, watching bad quality shit on a computer screen sitting in a computer chair sucks ass. Plus I got a 50 inch plasma with a blu ray underneath it. Fuck dvd.