Your Art Thread

Hayabusa

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So Iv been on a experimentation kick. SO much so I havent messed with much creation wise. I got a painting area in my studio but havent touched it. As we know from an earlier post I focus mainly on the ceramic, or at least Im getting back to my roots.

So to start. The biggest frustration of mine. My "bain of existence" I know I spelled it wrong. For a couple of weeks (this being done inbetween everything else) I had been trying to make a larger form to use which would be something to make money with. An idea of mine that had seemed good (still does) but has been a struggle to find a good base structure. From a form made of wooden forms stacked and glued, to a clay covered object, to finding a good shape on random at Walmart for really cheap but having to break 3 of them (repurchasing each time) until I finally accomplished the mold. So it is, as carved, my bain of exist"e"nce!

bain2.jpg

Since I live where the clay is literally the ground everywhere I decided to dig up and screen (with a nice tight silk screen for making shirts) some ground to help filter out the clay from the non clay. Its pretty because you get such a sparkle from the mica that sneaks by. Well this is 100% clay from my back yard and a slight bit of recycled paper (1/3) to strengthen/help it a bit.

gaclay.jpg

SO for those who saw the old pics the colors in them are as random as the flames. SO in experimentation I figured I might as well, before the firing, re decorate the surface before it is to be randomly decorated. Make it become a lil more complex before the random complexity. Plus IM going to Mummy fire these this time around which is a lil more controlled and less detrimental to the piece.

multij.jpg

and here is some stupid giraffe egg thing I made out of boredom.

girag.jpg

Back to the "bain of existence" .....it took 7 bags of plaster (15 a pop) and 3 purchased forms to get this thing right. Or at least where I want it to see if it works. Money aside I learned one thing......DAP Plaster of Paris weathers quickly vs potters plaster. So still stuck in the experimental stage I bought a lil 10 buck tank pump to "weather" over time plaster pieces. I thought he rain will do the job but why wait. Im just trying to find natural random errosions for texture elements.

plaster.jpg

It might not be finished art but I thought Id at least drop you guys a line.

• Like 2

Figured Id post part of my experimentation from above. It turned out looking like a meteor shower. Ill be able to see if I like the postive turn out on a clay slab. Diggn it so far.

plster.jpg

have this one going tonight. i carved out some curves to help persuade the water as it rolls down.

plster2.jpg

SO I fired up the kiln again tuesday night and it finished about 3pm the next day. This morning I was able to open it up to see how my saggars did. Saggars are basically containers the pots sit in with combustible stuff i.e saw dust, salt, copper carbonate etc. I stated up top that I was doing mummies. Basically clay drenched burlap wrapped around the pot. Not as good as a traditional saggar but hey it beats constructing multiple boxes for each pot.

Crazy how I lost the mixed color look of the different clays but it remained very faint.

saggar1.jpg

saggar2.jpg

the best one out of the bunch.

saggar3.jpg

saggar4.jpg

Totally upset that this one is the worst. Oh well. Its why I havent used any pots that took time. All test pieces.

saggar5.jpg

_IGP7024.jpg

just finished this a few days ago. i used spray paint to block in the color and then illustrated over it with india ink and a speedball calligraphy pen. the background is a mix of acrylic and airbrush paint. i've been thinking it needs something else in the background, but don't really know what to do. any suggestions?

• Like 1

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=speedball+pens&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0DP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&biw=1366&bih=577&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9064441348528649389&sa=X&ei=2QGhTZmVI4W2twfXwZj7Ag&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAg#

i bought a cheap set a year or so ago to make a my fiancee a "love letter" for valentine's and ended up getting a better set from her sister when she gave me all of her old art supplies. i used the nib in the middle of the second row. i have a much larger piece that i'm working on. i'll post some progress shots tomorrow.

This is the elk I have been working on lately. I got my hands on some old elk antlers and ran with this idea. What you see in the last picture is me and my dad checking the antler's thickness before drilling holes for the anchors. By the way, bone smells like shit when you cut it on a bandsaw or drill holes in it. It's gotta be done for a show that this weekend and I still have a lot of work. It should be done by Tuesday and I'll try and get a flick up.

ELK4-1.jpg

ELK7.jpg

ELK3.jpg

ELK1-1.jpg

ELK6.jpg

Cosign the house paint.

The oops section of paint and hardware stores or if you're really on some Boss Hog shit the recycle station that gives it to the buff. If you work angles right you can cop A LOT of this shit for free. I hustled over 98 gallons on the free one year from the dump.

the oops section is a hella good tip. i used to work at a hardware store and always got first crack at the fuck-ups. if you're working inside, folk art acrylic comes in a large variety of colors and is pretty cheap, only problem is it's really thin. i'd get your basic colors in interior latex quarts and the rest in folk art or liquitex basic acrylics. you should be able to get what you need for under 50 bucks.