What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ha. speak of the devil.

i also tried lolita and it did not interest me at all. read about ten pages and just did not care.

maybe i'll try men without women but his style of prose isn't really my taste. maybe some of his other characters aren't snots . ha. dunno

haha you reminded me, all the endless endnotes in infinite jest killed it for me.

i had a bookmark in the back just so i could flip back quickly. sometimes it would be some weird name of a psychoactive drug, other times it would be a short story in and of itself.

sometimes you'd have to read it to understand what was going on, other times it was just some short bit that didn't matter.

strange how authors do in their own books. i couldn't finish it and have tried to read it twice, only to make it about halfway through and move on

i hate endnotes. footnotes aren't as bad but still a little annoying

damn i haven't been in here in a minute! ya'll have some awesome book choices. i just haven't been able to stick with one thing for a minute so i have been reading a few books at the same time.

!@#$%- the last book i actually finished was heart of darkness. and i can't help it. if something has footnotes i cant not check them. i just gotta know what the fuck is being referenced. but that book did its footnotes with an astrik and just listed them all in the back without numbers or anything. i was like what the fuck i wanna read a book not decipher a cipher man.

hahahaa that's a sweet phrase

and srsly WTF. that's so lame.

i read heart of darkness in high school, well, pretended to read it. i didn't like it but i did well on the tests.. the guy's points were a little obvious. maybe to the point of being ham-handed.

i know what you mean, i'd prolly have gotten through it if i hadn't HAD to keep checking the endnotes. if they'd been footnotes, at the bottom of the page, it would have made so much more sense

i have no idea why the editor/publisher did that to the readers. just cruel.

i've been waiting for this for a couple years now.

i'm sure a few of you have read it, but tommy lee jones and samuel L have done 'the sunset limited' by cormac mccarthy and it airs on saturday. i'm pretty amped. its the single most depressing thing i've ever read.

after my little brother read it he told me to go fuck myself, that the book had been a more poetic and logical argument for why to commit suicide than he had ever thought possible.

http://www.hbo.com/movies/sunset-limited/index.html

whats that all about? i've never read it. watched the trailer, and am kinda juggling a few ideas of what i think it could be.

i like the Great Gatsby so i never returned it in highschool, same with Slaughterhouse 5, the teacher still has 1 of my books, and i also had Sidhartha which was her personal book but she got that back about 2-3 years after i graduated ha.. so it worked out i suppose.

same teacher explained to the class what a pearl necklace was figuratively, and sexually, that was a interesting day in english. "hey guys wanna learn a new a way to bust on your girl if she doesnt want it on her face, give her the ole pearl neckalce!"

..is basically what every dude took from that.

ahhhh, i figured it was either that, or basically the same situation but Jackson was a angel, but thats probably just because he started talking angels, and i thought maybe itd be one of those movies where you find out hes a angel at the end or some shit sent to save the dude.

word, good book though? worthy of reading, or am i probably gonna hang myself afterwards haha.

i've been waiting for this for a couple years now.

i'm sure a few of you have read it, but tommy lee jones and samuel L have done 'the sunset limited' by cormac mccarthy and it airs on saturday. i'm pretty amped. its the single most depressing thing i've ever read.

after my little brother read it he told me to go fuck myself, that the book had been a more poetic and logical argument for why to commit suicide than he had ever thought possible.

http://www.hbo.com/movies/sunset-limited/index.html

mccarthy devastated with me with blood meridian

i was so affected by it i don't know if i'll read his stuff again

..doesn't surprise me at all, what your brother said. the writing is totally annihilating

it just about snuffed out what little faith i had left in humanity

powerful stuff.

blood meridian is shaking, no doubt, it took me like 4 tries over a year to finish it.

but that was just terrifying, where sunset limited is basically sound reasoning to kill yourself.

though a lot of mccarthy's work is that misanthropic, *holy shit what did i just read* experience i would highly recommend either 'the orchard keeper' or 'suttree.' both great tales that are less focused on the atrocity of man.

and boston: i don't know whether to recommend it or not. mccarthy is a heavy hitting dude. i loved it, but its taken me a decade to work through all of his work and to learn how to deal with his violence and ideas.

its very well written, a quick read, moving. but its fucking dark. its your call.