What book are you reading? Part 20

^it's SO good though

i really recommend it

and it only took 3 months to read.

*i will say, i was disappointed in the epilogue tolstoy added, years later, after he found god. i coulda skipped that part happily.

i've prolly mentioned it a bunch already but the Millenium Trilogy is simply amazing

read it now before the american movies come out and likely ruin it

millenium-trilogy.jpg

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish title Män som hatar kvinnor, literally Men Who Hate Women)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (original Swedish title Flickan som lekte med elden, literally The Girl Who Played With The Fire)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (original Swedish title Luftslottet som sprängdes, literally The Castle in the Air That Was Blown Up)

the wiki on this shit is ill.

The Millennium Trilogy is a series of three bestselling novels written in Swedish originally by the late Stieg Larsson. The novels in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, were first published in 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Larsson, who was disgusted by sexual violence, witnessed the gang rape of a young girl when he was 15. The author never forgave himself for failing to help the girl, whose name was Lisbeth – like the young heroine of his books, herself a rape victim, which inspired the theme of sexual violence against women in his books.[1]

The primary characters in the series are Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lisbeth is an intelligent, eccentric woman in her twenties with eidetic memory whose social skills are rather poor. Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, a celebrity in his own right, and has a history not totally dissimilar to Larsson's.

Larsson wrote about three-quarters of a fourth novel before his sudden death in November 2004. His partner, Eva Gabrielsson, possesses the notebook computer with the manuscript. Outlines or manuscripts for one or two more books may exist.[2][3]

now i'm reading all the harry potter's

fuggit. it's not literature but it's a fun read and mos definitely takes me back to being a kid again.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

finished this epic undertaking just this evening:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTNMIzBIu185hFlYFWGgW-aS1FpZaNQVf2eF5DgkLQlGaFZRCb7g

LOUIS I KAHN

Born in Estonia in 1901, Louis Isidore Kahn was to become one of the United States' most important architects of the post-war period, alongside the modern masters Mies van der Rohe, Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier. Although renowned for a number of seminal modern works, he came to question many of the precepts of the modern movement. He questioned with particular rigour the ability of the 'international style of modernism' to house the social spaces required by the latter half of the century.

about to start:

bs-9780714838939.jpg

BREUER HOUSES

Breuer, like many architects who work simultaneously on small- and large-scale commissions, used residential architecture as a laboratory for all of his design ideas. Not only is the quality and quantity of Breuer's residential output impressive, but when it is seen in sequence one can perceive a development of his spatial mastery and expertise. Because of their interplay of spaces and daring juxtaposition of materials, Breuer's houses have had a profound influence on residential architecture around the world and on many generations of young designers.

ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY GOOD WAR BOOKS?[/color]

kinda the same as thecarwreck. what kind of war book?

"The Things They Carried", "Fallen Angels", both about Vietnam. "Generation Kill" is great, about the beginning of the current Iraq War. "Operation Dark Heart" is supposedly so good that the Pentagon bought as many copies as possible and burned them, but I have not read it yet. "One bullet Away" is written by a guy who is in "Generation Kill"

currently reading

5348098838_b8b7da284f_m.jpg

wow thanks for all the recommendations! i actually have a copy of the poisonwood bible. never got around to reading it. maybe i will now. :) anna karenina was a beast to finish and i did like the book itself even if i thought the character anna karenina was a crazy. so maybe war and peace will have to be something i get my hands on. not to sure where you can pirate e-books but i like to raid libraries when they sell books for like 5 cents.

my girl gave me this not to long ago. love it. the intro alone i was like fuck yeah i know what you are talking about!

5324530145_9ea5a88029_m.jpg

also reading i know why the caged bird sings by maya angelo.

i laughed... first.

• Like 1

... I think hearing poets reading their own work is interesting.

no doubt. if you want to know how a poem is supposed to sound, you need to hear it from the writer. 99% of the time it's the best way (of course I've heard more than my fair share of shit readers). Turner is the business in person, too... got people crying.

/nopoemthread

• Like 1