What book are you reading? Part 20

i will have to find The Chosen. I had never even heard of Chaim Potok until I was cleaning out the trunk of a totaled car and found it under the carpet with the donut.

I sent my friend a box of books while he was in Afghanistan and he gave me this to read when he came back.

2.jpg

loved it

Now I just started

14489877.JPG

and it is pretty good.

not having a real world job anymore and only the side hustle i have soooooo much more time

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that's better...

That American Earth is definitely a good intro/compendium that includes a broad swath of enviro writing--from legal briefs to fiction to poetry to art to calls-to-arms--and clocks in at something like 900+ pages. no real theory stuff though but that's to be expected in something as accessible as this.

and if you're into the anarcho stuff, check out Guérin's No Gods, No Masters:

9781904859253.jpg

I've used it in an undergrad class full of ultra-privileged Long Island kids and had some surprising success (although I bet their parents were pretty pissed when they came home for winter break spouting Goldman and Kropotkin!)...

• Like 1

hey fist...i ended up picking up The Chosen by Chaim Potok. thanks it was an awesome story. really a fantastic book. wouldn't have read it if you hadn't suggested it. anything else you recommend? right now i am reading

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_EP4RgegumNFs-mOO73-zWHZWycBH6wQp0qgGzaiYR5kOlYXS

its kind of way too huge to carry around though.

i loved anna karenina

if you like it, read war and peace, it is an amazing book.

also huge.

i'm reading all the harry potters.

i also just got a kindle so if anyone knows a good place to pirate books, lemme know.

BookPirate.jpg

Anna Karenina maybe my favourite book ever.

I met a beautiful half white/half philipino girl last night. I used her kindle as an ice breaker. We ended up talking for two hours straight, and she saw me go from incredibly witty and charming to a slurring idiot, but she still sat there and talked to me and eventually gave me her number. I am not disappoint.

• Like 1

0980065704.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Overall good read, although it does at times go off on tangents that seem preachy and that don't seem relevant to the story at hand. If you search on the internet you can find clips of him reading some of the earlier portions of the book, pretty dope.

From the publisher: A traumatic childhood in foster homes was just the beginning of John's evolution. Before fronting one of the most important bands in the underground punk scene, the Cro-Mags, John faced homelessness, addiction, betrayal and insanity. Still, even his success couldn't save him from a relapse that set him back to square one - rock bottom. The book is a raw and unapologetic autobiography about his life.

laughslast--glad you liked it

there are a ton of books i'd recommend, though none necessarily like potok's stuff. but kind of in that vein i'd say: the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay by michael chabon and the poisonwood bible by barbara kingsolver

i just finished this

edgar-sawtelle_l.jpg

its a coming-of-age/adventure story of a boy and his dogs. probably my favorite book in the last 3 years, or atleast since i read Suttree by mccarthy.

wow thanks for all the recommendations! i actually have a copy of the poisonwood bible. never got around to reading it. maybe i will now. :) anna karenina was a beast to finish and i did like the book itself even if i thought the character anna karenina was a crazy. so maybe war and peace will have to be something i get my hands on. not to sure where you can pirate e-books but i like to raid libraries when they sell books for like 5 cents.

my girl gave me this not to long ago. love it. the intro alone i was like fuck yeah i know what you are talking about!

5324530145_9ea5a88029_m.jpg

also reading i know why the caged bird sings by maya angelo.