The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

had some hard cider left in my fridge after new years party

i drank it the next day and kinda liked it, pretty refreshing and something new for me

mind suggesting some stuff for me that should be easy to find?

had Angry Orchard, i imagine its like the shocktop of cider?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had some hard cider left in my fridge after new years party

i drank it the next day and kinda liked it, pretty refreshing and something new for me

mind suggesting some stuff for me that should be easy to find?

had Angry Orchard, i imagine its like the shocktop of cider?

Crispin should be easy to find, and it's a step up from Angry Orchard, for sure.

I do not have a very good palette for ciders -- they taste kinda similar to me. I prefer dry ones to sweet ones, though.

Crispin should be easy to find, and it's a step up from Angry Orchard, for sure.

I do not have a very good palette for ciders -- they taste kinda similar to me. I prefer dry ones to sweet ones, though.

Big fan of ciders. I'm not so sure I'd consider Crispin a step up from Angry Orchard though. Crispin has the various specialty bottles, most of which suck, and limited releases but their standard offerings aren't as good as Angry Orchard or Woodchuck's imo. Plus, Angry Orchard does two specialty bottles, Strawman and Iceman, that are both better than most of the specialty bottles Crispin has to offer. I really only like Woodchuck for their pumpkin seasonal these days.

Now in reference to the shocktop of ciders comment, I have yet to find a commercial cider that rivals any of the locally produced ciders I've had. Seems to me unlike craft beer, the craft cider market hasn't really come into its own yet and you still have to go to the source pretty much to see the cool things cider makers are doing. Around here, Millstone is getting pretty big and will hopefully receive wider distribution this coming year. They produce all kinds of ciders + meads ranging from ordinary to extremely experimental (i.e. fish pepper + smoked apples aged in oak). That said, if you want something that tastes like high quality apple cider that happens to be alcoholic, I'd recommend trying to find some Downeast Cider. They're brewed in MA but I think they get decent distribution.

Big fan of ciders. I'm not so sure I'd consider Crispin a step up from Angry Orchard though.

I'd believe it. My experience with cider is super limited. Some UK oontzers put me on at one point, but I haven't drank much in the States. I will keep an eye out for those specialty bottles; Strawman sounds like something I'd be into.

i got a 4 pack of brew dog ipa and the red ale. I liked the ipa better

but for fuck sakes what a terrible package design. a friggin piece of cardboard stapled at top is going to keep the beer from falling out?

the liquor store owner said he has a lot of problems in the summer when its humid in the fridge

There are some great french ciders that sit on the dry side. Some use champagne yeast and are fucking wonderful. A little funky like a nice farmhouse ale, but crisp and round due to the fruit.

I also started bartending at Trappist Provisions in Oakland. So that's cool.

On the cider topic, I'm a big fan of the Basque ciders - Isastegi and Sarasola. real funky, some drink like wild ales.

Jacks Original Hard Cider (made in PA) is a decent dry cider.

The Anthem line of ciders is alright, Anthem Hops (made with Washington State hops and apples) is unique, I also like their Cherry cider.

Craft cider is definitely happening, a lot of local producers in the mid-Atlantic are going for it.

• 4 weeks later...
There are some great french ciders that sit on the dry side. Some use champagne yeast and are fucking wonderful. A little funky like a nice farmhouse ale, but crisp and round due to the fruit.

I also started bartending at Trappist Provisions in Oakland. So that's cool.

good bar congrats

care to name those french ciders? they sound good