The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where were you at Choc?

Those glasses look all nice lined up right there. and looks like a hefty tab.

just saw this -

i was at a local spot that serves some real nice brews. tab wasn't that bad. they've got chimay on tap for $5.

i'm not huge on chimay, but since it's been hot i go and hit up that allagash white...stuff is super crisp.

:)

Humboldt county up in here with that Great White, I stopped by the brewery last year when I was down there for a wedding, nice little town, kind of shitty food at the brewery in my opinion.

I am drinking PABST and I do not think that makes me a hipster just a unemployed individual who appreciates the 4 dollar rebate coupon on a nine dollar eighteen pack of beer.

• Like 1

Prehistoric Yeast Used to Brew Fossil Fuels Beer

Talk about a cold swig of history.

Beer made from a yeast 45 million years old will soon be hitting taps in California.

Northern California microbrewer Stumptown Brewery is already selling two brews made with the yeast, extracted from a prehistoric piece of amber found in Burma. But as early as next month, Fossil Fuels Brewing Co. plans to distribute two others made with the yeast on a larger scale.

Find out where after the jump.

Don't expect to be drinking mead when you down one of the company's wheat or "Ancient Ales."

"In the world of microbiology, 45 million years doesn't cause a lot of changes," Chip Lambert, the president of Fossil Fuels Brewing Co., of Oakland, Calif., told Slashfood on Wednesday. "We call this the mother of all modern yeasts, but it's just a 45-million-year-old mom."

The yeast colony, grown from samples extracted from prehistoric amber, do different things than their modern cousins in the brewing department, he says.

"We've certainly noticed a couple of different characteristics in its sugar assimilation and a couple of different characteristics in how it brews," Lambert says. "It's not that much different from modern brewing yeast, but it's enough different that it really adds unique flavors and brews in a pretty unique way."

Stumptown has already experimented with the yeast in its X.P. and XPort brews. But Kelley Brothers Brewing Co. in Manteca, Calif., will begin brewing on a commercial scale with the yeast this month, Lambert says. The company will use the X.P. recipe for the Ancient Ale, according to Stumptown.

Fossil Fuels Wheat beer and Fossil Fuels Ancient Ale should be ready for distribution in the California Bay Area by September, he says. It will only be available in kegs.

"We just hope that it gets out there and everybody enjoys it because it is unique and it is very good," Lambert says.

just saw this -

i was at a local spot that serves some real nice brews. tab wasn't that bad. they've got chimay on tap for $5.

i'm not huge on chimay, but since it's been hot i go and hit up that allagash white...stuff is super crisp.

:)

Well, I was asking cus I thought for some reason you were in SF. so i wondered if it was Le Trap in northbeach. One of my friends has gone there a couple times and I haven't made it out there yet.

Strawberry beer....puke. And the alcohol content isn't lacking? its 4.1% abv, which is the equivalent of Bud Light. Total bitch beer. You might as well drink Zima while you're busy diddling your vagina.

ya but i get this shit for free at the restaurant i work at. and last time i checked, free beer is always good beer

Atwater+Bloktoberfest.JPG

Atwater Bloktoberfest

i've never had anything from atwater and since i'm in the mood for seasonals i grabbed a sixer of this.

wow i was really surprised. definitely in my top 5 for autumn seasonals.

Atwater beers

20793.jpg

Fort Collin's Brewery

Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat

I know fruit beers are gross. i got this thinking if its gross i'll just pass it off to my girl

and pretend i was thinking about her when i bought it. but to be honest i ended up drinking them all.

i wouldn't call this a fruit beer at all since i didn't taste any fruit. it was mainly a blonde ale/wheat beer

with a slight sweet/tart aftertaste. you cant taste pomegranate. i'm going to try the other fort collins

and let you know what other ones are good.

buffalobills_pumpkin.jpg

Buffalo Bill's brewery (pyramid??)

Pumpkin Ale

so being the open minded beer consumer that i am i was willing to try another pumpkin beer

i was pissed that it turned out to be like 4% alcohol which doesn't make me happy since

i could have gotten miller lite.

in terms of this compared to o'fallons this isnt that great.

way too much spice and very sweet. definitely drinkable however and i wouldnt say dont buy it.

worth a try but i may stay away from pumpkin beers because the novelty is wearing off for me.

I'm not an expert at all, matter of fact I've gotten to learn things a bit more just recently...

But talking about weissbier and fruits sound mad suspect to me. I mean, why even call it with a german name if you're gonna mix fruit and herbs and shit in it?

Wheat beer sounds less cool?

Germans have a long, long history of uptight beer purity laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

I only say this because I lately got into hefe weissbiers like Paulaner, Erdinger, Franziskaner and Weihenstephaner... they fucking rule. Although 1 or 2 a night is usually enough for me, and all taste pretty much the same too.

edit. No intention to sound like a purist with the wisdom...just a thought.

The only reason any company would use the term weissbier or heffe or whatever and then have the addition of fruit is only to inform the buyer of the underlying style of beer. If they did not and just labeled it as a "wheat beer" it could be any of the handful of styles of beer that are brewed with wheat being the main role in the beer.

• Like 1