Yosemite National Park 2007

Pistol

This summer I went to Yosemite for 5 days with the wife.

It was fun we both needed it. It was our first vacation in in about 2 years due to school issues, housing issues, family issues, job vacation time issues, ISSUES in general.

Stayed in the valley but was able to drives to Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, Toualumne Meadows, Glacier Point, Mariposa Groves etc.

Here's a few pics.

The road was cool. The last half was no lanes. It was cool cause we probably only saw 15 cars or less on the over. This reservoir was ok'd and built after the San Francisco earthquake. San Francisco kept on trying to get it built and congress kept denying them the right to build a dam on National Park Service land until the pussy's bitched about putting out fires or something. Muir was pissed.

yosemite4322.jpg

This was in the valley where thousands of people were staying so i'm surprised any deer would chill here.

yosemite4326.jpg

This was on the Tioga Pass. It's only open late spring to early fall. It's the road you take to get to the Toualumne Meadows, High Sierra Camps, and well the High Sierra. A beautiful highway that rivals Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) in California.

yosemite4331.jpg

Again the Tioga Pass. We were there late in the season after the waterfalls dry up so traffic was minimal.

yosemite4332.jpg

Rocks and Trees (not those kind)

yosemite4335.jpg

Another view from the road.

yosemite4336.jpg

Olmsted Point, along the Tioga Pass. Named after Frederick Law Olmsted and his son who served as one of the first commisioners of Yosemite. That one rock in the middle of the horizon is the back of Half Dome. If I had a super Jap 4000 zoom you would be able to see the cables on the back and people climbing to the top. Thus I only had a 1MP 5 year old camera so all you can see is Japanese tourist in corner of pic.

yosemite4342.jpg

Me and the wife at Olmsted Point with the ass of Half Dome by my ear. Representing with for all the natives. (see Maui thread)

yosemite4345.jpg

Like the sign says, Tenaya Lake. It's a sub-alpine lake. The water was actually nice considering. The weather in the valley was 95-100 here it was in the 70-80's. It actually sprinkled a little. I woulda just kicked back here for the whole day if the drive to and from wasn't so long, dark, with added ess curves.

yosemite4346.jpg

There were people at the lake but very few and only one person trying to take a kayak in there. Too windy. Haha suck for them. Best to just kick back and enjoy the somewhat people free lake.

yosemite4347.jpg

You can't see them but some people were in the water with their dogs and little kids playing in the water with floaties.

yosemite4349.jpg

My feet. Just chillin' after eating a sandwich on the beach. Some Euro tourists off in the distance. They went in the water no prob. I thought for sure homeboy would take it slow after he got to ball level. I was wrong.

yosemite4356.jpg

Perveract status, Italian tourist laying on big ol' booty hiding it from view. Luckily the Italian manwolfbear was not in the pic.

yosemite4359.jpg

This is Lembert Dome in Tuolumne Meadows. I could lie and say it was straight 90 degree vertical climb and the rangers warned us against continuing our trek, but there were kids there. Toddlers even. We wanted to go the top but it had sprinkled a few minutes before and storm clouds and lightening were in the distance so we decided against.

yosemite4370.jpg

Previously mention storm clouds and view looking to the side.

yosemite4374.jpg

My wife and the Silver Fox on Lembert Dome taking cutesy couple pics.

yosemite4380.jpg

Wood in a crack.

yosemite4387.jpg

Reppin' for the DPC/NightOwls. The Shocker!

yosemite4390.jpg

This was on the way back from Tuolumne Meadows once again on the Tioga Pass. At a turnout. I'm surprised I never crashed admiring the beauty along this road.

yosemite4395.jpg

Same turnout another view.

yosemite4396.jpg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is where we stayed . The fuckin' tent sucked to put together. I was almost gonna put up the "truck tent" and take it down everytime we wanted to drive somewher just to avoid putting this fuckin' thing up once.

yosemite4398.jpg

This is the actual site and my ride. It was cool except we were right next to the restrooms so we had dickheads walking 2 feet away from our tent at night instead of in between sites.

yosemite4399.jpg

The view from the Glacier Point amphitheater. The Glacier Point road was sick at the end it looked like you were going to drive off the highway. It was even cooler since it was raining and I need new tires.

yosemite4400.jpg

Oolong at the Glacier Point Information board.

029.jpg

Ooolong at Glacier Point looking at Half Dome son.

030.jpg

a good friend of mine drowned at yosemite a couple years back. before he climbed down the waterfall into the water he sat and stared for a couple minutes and finally said "it's so beautiful here". he was tired from swimming and couldnt pull himself back out. mouth to mouth didnt work and couldnt get to a ranger in time.

i absolutely dont mean to bog this thread down with feelings. that he said that before he got in still haunts me though. rip M.

other than that, yosemite is an amazing place, i plan on going back in a couple years.

• 3 months later...

last time i was there i went with my cousin and his friend.

we went to the main camping area with the crowd, we slept in one of those lodge cabin things.

There was this hot foreigner there and my cousins wanted to know what language she was speaking. I knew some french and i told him she was speakin french. I taught my cousin how to say hi and introduce himself.

When he sees her the next time he screams from the other side of the quad "BONJOURR!"

the kicker?

she was italian.

you should ask your brother if hes ever heard of the boulder feilds in bishop california. its about an hour drive from mammoth lakes ski resort.

i went there a couple summers ago with my dad. its one of the mose bizzarely beautiful places ive ever seen.

and these big boulders are poka dotted all through the valley and are hella fun for sport r0ck climbing

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in for a nice hike...check this out. It starts at Glacier Point and goes past three waterfalls. Takes a while, but a couple of stops for a puff or two and your back on the trail..

Ptrail.jpg

Distance: 8.5 miles (13.5 km) one way

Elevation Range: from 4,000 feet (1,220 meters) on the valley floor to 7,200 feet (2,200 meters) at Glacier Point

Total Elevation Change: 3,200 feet (975 meters)

Hiking Time: 4.5 - 7 hours

Why hike the Panorama Trail: Two of Yosemite's most spectacular hikes, Glacier Point and the Mist Trail, serve as bookends to a trail that also passes lesser-known gems like Panorama Point and Illilouette Falls. There are memorable views almost everywhere along this hike. One day you'll look back on your life and split it into its "before Panorama" and "after Panorama" periods.

Crowd Factor: High at the ends, medium in between. Glacier Point and the Mist Trail are both very popular, and though there will be hikers all along the trail in between, it shouldn't be enough to depress any but the most Cratchit-kicking misanthropic of us.

Difficulty: This trail rates a 6 out of 10 for the downhill route (Glacier Point to the valley), which is the more popular option not just because it's an easier hike, but because it's far easier to arrange transportation for (see the taking the bus section below for more details).

The trail is rocky in places, and descending the stair steps of the Mist Trail can be hard on knees; if yours are cranky, take the Muir Trail down the last portion instead. Although the trail is mostly downhill, after you cross the bridge over Illilouette Creek, you'll climb 700 feet in about a mile and a half (200 meters in 2.5 km) before descending again to the Mist Trail.

Must-See Unmarked Detour: The short (less than 100 meters) trail to Panorama Point is unsigned, but don't skip it unless you're severely acrophobic. It's got incredible panoramic views ranging from Glacier Point (you can see the gift shop and the Geology Hut) to the Royal Arches, North Dome, and the back of Half Dome. You can also see hikers making their way up the early stages of the Mist Trail. What really makes it great, though, is that most of the other hikers on the trail will walk right past the turnoff without even noticing it's there, and if you pass them again later, you can exchange polite greetings and then throw in a "Wow, wasn't Panorama Point something? Best part of the hike, in my opinion." And frankly, you might not be kidding.

Assuming you're doing the trail in the Glacier-Point-to-Yosemite-Valley direction, you'll find the trail that veers left to Panorama Point about half a mile (0.8 km) after you cross the bridge over Illilouette Creek. The trail cuts through a stand of manzanitas; be wary of brushing bare skin against the bark, which serves as a capable substitute for sandpaper if you're lost in the wilderness and need to do some fine sanding on the scrollwork in your temporary shelter.

There are no guardrails to protect you from the 2,000 foot (600 meter) dropoff at Panorama Point, so don't venture here alone with political rivals or unreliable henchmen.

Best time to visit: The mountain scenery is good whenever the trail's open, but the waterfalls of the Mist Trail are best in the spring and early summer, when the most water is pouring over them. They have a longer primetime than Bridalveil or Yosemite Falls, since they're fed by the Merced River instead of the creeks that feed the other falls, but they've still usually lost a lot of volume by August.