Late starters?

DoneTWS

How many people have started graffiti later in their lives? Sometimes I feel I'm the only one, most writers seem to be younger kids. I started when I was around 20 and Im 21 years old now so ya pretty late start, especially since Ive never been good at art.

It can be frustrating seeing these 13 year olds busting some sick ass shit, and here I am sucking it up lol.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i dont know many 13 year olds "busting sick ass shit"

Ya they aren't all over the place I know, but some kids are just born with it you know. My friends little brother is so sick, its ridiculous. But then again their dad is a fuckin real artist, maybe its hereditary.

and GOLA, I'm never gonna be very good thats not what Im bitching about, I'm bitching about not having anyone to paint with. Its not necessary, but Id like to have someone to go with.

i have had some contact with graffiti since i was eleven. my brother owned style wars and subway art, which i would pore over obsessively, through him i met some big name writers who i fucking jocked hard. this was before the internet took off, about 93-95, it was a really fun, naive introduction to graffiti, and a good time in my life...

...but fuck i did some HORRIBLE graffiti.

I got busted at age ten trying graff out then ditched it for a few years then at 15 I started trying again tagging trains then at 17 i got busted and ended up in court. strangely for almost a year after this I went really hard on my area.

Then all of a sudden it got too much I had too much trouble with the police tailing me in the lead up to my 18th.

So I stopped painting started taking photos and trading with kids overseas etc.

that went fine for about 6 years and then my mate who painted said "you can't keep sitting in the safety seat after all these years- you can't take all of this for free you gotta put something back"

So I started painting again and still go on

when you start means nothing - It's all where your heart is and how you treat graffiti that counts

Oh yeah and my pieces still suck compared to a lot of peole out there

no one is "born with" the ability to make decent art with spray paint.

and some of the best known writers aren't known for their "style" - i've never seen a JA 10-color piece in my life but dude is probably the best known writer in america.

I didn't get serious about writing until i was like 22... the good part is you think things out better as you get older and can minimize risk by using deeper thinking than "hey, let's drink 2 40's and go out bombing"

Your not born with the ability to do graffiti, never said that, but some people are born with the ability to be better artists. Some people just have more visually and spatially orientated brains, and some people are born more creative than others, all depending on certain parts of their brains being more developed.

Hmm, I got into graffiti and started tagging and shit at 15. Just little drops of shit all over my area. 17 now, parents are real strict so I cant do shit right now, and then right after high school I'm going into the Army. So I'll be about 20 - 21 before I can really get started bombing and shit once I'm living on my own. But the good thing is I already know what I'm doing (My throw up is down, my tag, etc.) so I wont come out with the mad suckage that I had at the age of 15...

i started in preschool doing some crazy ass finger paint throwies. Then moved onto using markers in the 4th grade. Now im in the 6th grade and gettin up every night. I mean i came out of my mommy wit a jumbo pilot i mean seriously.