UFC & MMA thread

Blaise Pascal

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

cheeee heee!

i knew Rampage was gonna smash um.

Dan Henderson is a beast, Rampage is gonna be bummed if he,(Henderson) joins the UFC.

and the stoppage was right on, chuck was out cold. altho the 3rd crack he got while on the ground seemed to wake his ass up again lol, he was still pau hanas.

the next UFC should be really good.

GO TEAM PENN!

Chuck went in there shook to death totally out of his game,and if rampage abused him twice.What makes people think chuck has the slighest chance against Wanderlei?Even thought big john shouldnt of stopped the fight for at 20 more seconds.Chuck was recovering.

Silva vs Liddell, about gotttdam time

LAS VEGAS (CP) - Quinton (Rampage) Jackson upset Chuck (The Iceman) Liddell to win the UFC light-heavyweight title Saturday night at UFC 71, dethroning the champion with a hard right to the chin in the first round.

Liddell toppled and Jackson jumped in to throw a couple of punches for good measure before referee (Big) John McCarthy stepped in at 1:53 of the first round to protect the fallen champion. Only a few punches were thrown before the one that tagged Liddell and at one point Jackson, who had been stalking the champion, raised his hands as if to ask what was going on.

The two traded blows and then Jackson nailed Liddell.

''I didn't expect Chuck to go down like that but bam, it was destiny,'' said Jackson, holding onto the championship belt at the post-fight news conference

''I made a mistake and got caught,'' said Liddell, the reigning rock star of mixed martial arts and the face of the UFC.

The three previous UFC cards also featured upsets with heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre of Montreal and Croatian heavyweight Mirko (Cro Cop) Filipovic all losing.

Jackson defeated Liddell by TKO in November 2003 at a Pride Fighting Championships show in Tokyo. Liddell went on to win his next seven fights, avenging previous losses to Randy Couture and Jeremy Horn along the way. But Jackson remains his bogeyman.

Liddell fell to 20-4, while Jackson improved to 27-6.

Asked whether he was hurt by the punch to the jaw or the blows that followed, Liddell drew laughs when he said dryly: ''I think I got hurt when I fell. That's my guess.''

Jackson, 28, entered the MGM Grand Garden Arena wearing his trademark rumble chain, howling like a wolf. But the crowd roar was reserved for the 37-year-old Liddell who was received like a rock star.

Jackson just waited in the ring, ready to do business. He was booed when introduced in the ring.

After the fight, Pride star Dan Henderson entered the ring to challenge Jackson.

Liddell said after he planned to continue fighting, with UFC president Dana White saying Brazilian Wanderlei Silva would be his likely next opponent.

''I still love to fight. Nothing's changed. So yeah, I'll keep training and fighting. All stuff like this makes me want to do is get back in the gym and train more. I was in great shape for this fight and I was healthy. I made a mistake. I'll be back.''

The card drew a sellout of 14,728 and a live gate of US$4.3 million,

Chuck went in there shook to death totally out of his game,and if rampage abused him twice.What makes people think chuck has the slighest chance against Wanderlei?Even thought big john shouldnt of stopped the fight for at 20 more seconds.Chuck was recovering.

i think it was a good call by the ref. chuck was knocked into a groggy state, then that punched which made his head slam into the mat almost knocked him out, then another punch seemed to wake him up. but liddell was in a state where he couldn't even defend himself and his head/face was exposed.

Clearly Liddell wasn't going to recover. But if it was Pride rules Rampage would of been allowed to land atleast 10 more punches until Chuck was knocked out. I don't understand why they match UFC dudes against Pride. But I'm looking forward to Sakuraba fighting Royce Gracie, and the Shamrock vs. Brioni fight is going to be tight.

I also heard something about Mayhem Miller coming to the UFC.... that would be awesome.

miller is already under contract with the WEC, so while technically he's not in the UFC he is under contract with zuffa...only a matter of time until he's back in the UFC...or not...the UFC is weird about getting some fighters in the org. lindland is a free agent and he's the #1 ranked middleweight, but the UFC has shown zero interest in getting him back as far as i'm aware. they SHOULD be very interested in him, anybody that jumps up from his weight class to fight fedor has balls of iron and deserves a place in the UFC's division.

as for rampage, the dude is soooo likable, he's destined for household fame. i've seen a few comments in here about how hendo will 'crush' him....hendo is definitely riding high right now, but he has his work cut out for him in both divisions and as we've seen 5 times this year alone, nobody is is safe from defeat no matter how unstoppable they seem so it's not a forgone conclusion either way.

also, terry martin calling out anderson silva for a standup war made me piss my pants. he should be careful what he wishes for.