the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Excuse me if I don't believe everything I read.

If you read everything ever written for T-nation or any other weight lifting knowledge forum you would end up with a base of knowledge in contradiction.

There are tons of articles telling people not to run outdoors because it's high impact and bad for joints and that they should use treadmills instead.

All hogwash.

Sure, olympic lifts can injure you if you don't bother to learn how to perform them properly.

So can anything else.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong or more knowledgeable than you, but those lifts are worth the risk.

And if you figure out how to do them, there really isn't much risk.

P.S.- boost, post your biceps.

I'm not comfortable specifying my age but I've been lifting for about 9 years (including a few breaks) with a focus on strength for roughly the last 6. After a recent 6 month or so break I have been back in the game now for about 4 months using the 531 progression.

I formally worked as a bouncer and strength training complimented my ability to work and fight. Now I just enjoy it as a hobby and as way to keep relatively healthy.

Cool. I wasn't trying to get all personal. Just wondering from what side of things you are coming from.

dips, weighted dips, rolling extensions, pushdowns w/ super sets, close grip bench, tricep death, tricep ladders

also, defranco's points on oly lifts are well taken. you dont need them to get explosive for sure and his main point holds lots of weight... takes to much time to teach people to do them right.

@cerouno

You mean rowing the dumbbells after the pushup?

You don't have to do everything that convict conditioning guy says.

I mean, you could just add reps to it every week, but after a while you would get bored as fuck.

You could move on to more gymnastic type moves if you want further challenges in bodyweight only moves.

There are plenty of ebooks for free online outlining gymnastic types of moves you can progress at if you want to avoid weights.

In Convict Conditioning, the author gives the impression that he's totally against weights and whatnot. So once you finish all the master steps in there, how much more progressive can you get without using weights?

@cerouno

You mean rowing the dumbbells after the pushup?

You don't have to do everything that convict conditioning guy says.

I mean, you could just add reps to it every week, but after a while you would get bored as fuck.

You could move on to more gymnastic type moves if you want further challenges in bodyweight only moves.

There are plenty of ebooks for free online outlining gymnastic types of moves you can progress at if you want to avoid weights.

He's not against weights, he's just used to prisons without. Prisoners have to make due with what they have on hand.

bodyweightculture is a site someone from here showed me. It's bad ass. Tons of things you can do.

I'm at a shitty chain gym that has fuck all for free weights. They only have smith squat racks and I refuse to use those things. Other than lunges and step-ups, does anyone have any suggestions for free weight exercises for my legs?

I'm working dead-lifts into my regime this week. In the past I've used the square shaped bars for dead lifts so I'll have to relearn with a straight bar.

I'm at a shitty chain gym that has fuck all for free weights. They only have smith squat racks and I refuse to use those things. Other than lunges and step-ups, does anyone have any suggestions for free weight exercises for my legs?

I'm working dead-lifts into my regime this week. In the past I've used the square shaped bars for dead lifts so I'll have to relearn with a straight bar.

haha where are you, planet fitness? that place is a joke. that was the first gym i joined. they had one ez curl barbell for the entire gym. no squat racks. no preacher benches. but about 100 treadmills and 30 step ups. and their dumbbells max out at 75lbs. shit is GOOFY!

i feel your pain.

i've been doing weighted step ups for the last month due to the lack of a free weight squat rack at my gym as well.

legs_demo_main.jpg

not entirely the same obviouslyy but i've found enough weight and enough reps, my legs are pretty sore the next day.

i sacrifice once in awhile using the smith rack but it's just not the same. death to chain gyms.