the un official workout thread

podrido

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Do you live in a cold place?

If not you'd be much better off doing your energy work outside.

Indoor cardio on a machine is pretty useless(lazy as fuck) unless you can't do it anywhere else.

Treadmills and ellipticals cancel the use of your hamstrings in the eccentric portion of the movement because of the momentum you create or the speed of the motor on the machine.

Basically you are doing half assed jumping jacks.

Got a personal trainer. She DESTROYED me yesterday. I can barely bend my legs today.

No Homo?

Oh and shes a ginger.

Yeah PTs love to do that to you on the first session to see how much you can take. And gingers are just evil asss muthafuckas. This fat bitch at my work went to a PT for the first time and got worked till she puked. At least she lost some weight

• 4 weeks later...

Started going to the gym twice a day.

Realized I haven't been eating enough to handle this.

Started eating a lot more.

3200 calories a day is not easy for me to stuff into my face.

I don't even understand how some guys eat 5000+ regularly.

The only way I could see myself doing that is with beer.

Fuck you, muscle.

Just watched Fat Head on Netflix. I love doc's like that... reminded me of the Showtime series Bullshit! I believed them in what they said, but I don't know how much a diet like that could work. It just seems.. backwards. You eat fat to lose fat? Odd. Which kind of leads into my question...

This sounds newbish but whats a solid way to get trim and have more muscle definition? Is there anything more to it than low weights, high reps, low carbs and lots of cardio? Don't mention HIIT... I hate that

y u hate HIIT?

Started going to the gym twice a day.

Realized I haven't been eating enough to handle this.

Started eating a lot more.

3200 calories a day is not easy for me to stuff into my face.

I don't even understand how some guys eat 5000+ regularly.

The only way I could see myself doing that is with beer.

Fuck you, muscle.

not to be a pain in the ass but what would your basic (or ideal) diet be for a day if you're trying to consume 3200 calories?

i've been working out consistently for over a year now and definitely feel and look different, but honestly i haven't done shit for dieting. im about 6ft tall and 160-165lbs so im not trying to cut weight, but im thinking upping the overall calorie intake could be beneficial given the amount i work out.

Read these articles:

Part 1

Part 2

They are a good starting point and contain all the info you need whether you want to gain, lose or maintain your weight.

As far as an ideal diet, you're on your own.

It's different for everybody and you'll just have to see what makes you feel and perform the best.

Try out some different shit for a month or two and see which way works for you.

The best advice I can give you though is to not eat too little in the beginning.

If you gain a pound or two, you can burn it off pretty fast as long as you are keeping a record of yourself.

If you don't eat enough, you just burn through muscle and that is harder to regain than fat is to burn.

My basic, very sustainable, effective 'diet'

Foods to eat...

All natural foods.

That doesn't mean organic, just food you'd find in the natural world

So...

meats (mostly steak)

plants (fruits and vegetables)

milk

nuts, cashews, whatever

eggs

cheese

water

What to stay away from...

BREADS. first and foremost (from simple sliced bread to waffles to cereal to noodles)

refined sugar

any kind of potato.. baked, french fries, etc.

rice, especially white

sweeteners

juice

toppings like ketchup, ranch dressing and so on

I tend to eat steak and eggs a lot of days. I wake up, eat about 3 eggs and drink some milk. No toast.

after a workout I aaalways have a steak. I can get a couple sirloins at the grocery store for about $4. Those are the two most important meals of the day.

It's all about nutrition levels.

And definitely no carbs towards the end of the day.

If you get hungry before bed just drink some milk.

Now do I stick to this 100%? helll no. I love pizza too much to do that. This is just a guideline that has worked for me.

My basic, very sustainable, effective 'diet'

Foods to eat...

All natural foods.

That doesn't mean organic, just food you'd find in the natural world

So...

meats (mostly steak)

plants (fruits and vegetables)

milk

nuts, cashews, whatever

eggs

cheese

water

What to stay away from...

BREADS. first and foremost (from simple sliced bread to waffles to cereal to noodles)

refined sugar

any kind of potato.. baked, french fries, etc.

rice, especially white

sweeteners

juice

toppings like ketchup, ranch dressing and so on

I tend to eat steak and eggs a lot of days. I wake up, eat about 3 eggs and drink some milk. No toast.

after a workout I aaalways have a steak. I can get a couple sirloins at the grocery store for about $4. Those are the two most important meals of the day.

It's all about nutrition levels.

And definitely no carbs towards the end of the day.

If you get hungry before bed just drink some milk.

Now do I stick to this 100%? helll no. I love pizza too much to do that. This is just a guideline that has worked for me.

just out of curiosity, are you overweight? or have ever been overweight? i have never ever heard cheese being recommended during any body building diet regimen, nor have i heard of anyone ALWAYS eating steak after a work out. not trying to bash your diet because if it works for you then that's all that matters. me personally, i don't have the time or money to cook a steak almost every day of the week after i work out. unfortunately, i cook at a restaurant that serves mostly shitty unhealthy food, but there are a few things there i should take advantage of getting for free. particularly grilled chicken.

my issue mostly is that my weight has kinda peaked around 160-165 for the past year. which tells me im not putting on much muscle at all, although i am doing more weight with any exercise compared to a year ago, so i dont even know. my plan for now is to cut out sugary bullshit foods like soda, baked stuff, and eating diner food every night and just replace it with more protein and see what happens.

I'm 175-180lbs and 5'11" ... that's down from about 210lbs last October. So no, i'm not overweight, at all.

Cheeeeese... I'm not eating bricks of it daily. It's just something I consider nutritious. Dairy products contain a lot of casein (a type of protein) from wiki...

"An attractive property of the casein molecule is its ability to form a gel or clot in the stomach, which makes it very efficient in nutrient supply. The clot is able to provide a sustained slow release of amino acids into the blood stream, sometimes lasting for several hours"

A slice of cheese and some milk are good to have before bed, that way your body isn't starved of protein while you sleep.

---------------------

Steak... It fills me up, gives me energy, costs about $2.50 a piece for a sirloin, and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and cook. Can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned. And while eating animal fat isn't terrible for you in the least bit, I still get leaner cuts of beef. Any type of 'loin' will work... tenderloin, sirloin, etc.

I guess I prefer getting the real deal protein, not powdered scoops of it out of a jar.

:::::::::::::::REMEMBER........ Animal fat doesn't get you fat, carbs do.

All the divvying up of specific carbs into good and bad has to do with their ranking on the glycemic index.

Certain foods have nutrients in them that spike hormones in your body making it do certain things.

This is why dieting is not as simple as calorie counting.

If you read those articles I posted, it will make it a bit clearer for you and after you get the hang of that shit, you can start getting more technical with the tweaking of your diet.

:::::::::::::::REMEMBER........ Animal fat doesn't get you fat, carbs do.

This isn't totally accurate.

Carbs are a very good energy source.

It depends on how you use them.

The only thing that is 100% true about them in any diet is that they aren't essential.

Protein and fat are must haves.

Carbs can be done without.

Some people need to use them though, so figuring out what type of diet suits you is the most important thing you need to do.

Then stick to it.

Started working out again and only missed one day for the first month, but killed most of my results because of the amount of alcohol I drink and some bad snacking habits. Looking to change all that going into the second month. I'm even thinking of possibly doing a boot-camp thing once a week to help step my game up. Its definitely helped my mood and pushed me into to eating better overall.

People tend to over complicate dieting. Balance like anything is the key. Sugar of any kind is always a bad thing. Drink plenty of water. Stick to food that isn't processed. You'll wanna cook for yourself as much as possible so you know what is going into your body. Natural fats and proteins are the way to go. Protein especially in the morning helps you a lot. Fried eggs and bacon are a lot better for you than some people lead you to believe. Carbs in the morning can be a bad idea though.

Of course you will find info that tells everything I said is wrong, but eating to lose weight tends to lead to you putting that weight back on.

So yeah.

BTW, I think what happens with carbs is your body turn it into sugar or something like that or tricks your body.

I lost 60 lbs in a year due more to changes in lifestyle. Diet wise, I didn't really try too hard, to tell you the truth, but it went as follows:

-lots of spices and curries: pretty much no nutritional harm, adds a lot of flavor, and when things are really spicy (both hot spicy and just reg spicy), you don't desire to eat as much

-meat once a week: almost never beef

-whenever eating meat, mix w/ veggies: no steak or breasts, cut that shit up and mix it

-no butter or cheese

-little milk

-little bread: my crutch

-no peanut butter: my other crutch

-little rice

-little to no snacking: i don't have the will power not to turn it into a meal

-skip a meal once and a while

-obviously, this has left the need to eat lots and lots of fresh veggies

-LOTS of water... 8-10 liters a day, chug 1-2 as soon as you get up

however, i attribute most of the weightloss to lifestyle change. No car, job where I was on my feet all day, easier access to quality fruits and vegetables, no girl, work out routine

i've since got a job where i sit all day and a girl that wants to spoil me, and poorer access to veggies.. hence, i've gained like 35-40 back :\

BTW, I think what happens with carbs is your body turn it into sugar or something like that or tricks your body.

It's a lot more complicated than that.

If it were that simple, avoiding carbs would be the only thing lard-asses would need to do to become healthy.

Hormones and when they are released play a large part in body composition.

Your body also stores carb energy in your muscles as glycogen.

If you don't replenish those stores now and then you will just burn out and look flat.

The shit is complicated, but only if you are trying to become a competitive body builder.

Which I doubt any of us are trying to do.

Otherwise, yeah...like you said, eat clean.

Also, if you are not progressively adding weight to your lifts, you're doing it wrong.

Also, Vanity...what worked for you to lose that weight is a far cry from what most people need to do to build muscle and lose a few pounds of fat. Good job losing that 60 pounds though. I'm sure that shit wasn't easy, but heavier individuals who have a large amount of fat to lose have to use different methods than what is normally used for people who just want to add some definition to themselves.