the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i'm not really sore the day after i do some chest exercises.

help.

switch up your routines. don't do the same exercises every time you work out chest. but also you don't have to be "really sore" the next day to know you had a good workout.

i tweaked my back out a few days ago doing squats, i woulda been fine if i stuck to my normal 4 sets of 10-12 but i added in a 5th set for whatever reason and BAM. maybe i won't forget a belt next time..

For some reason my legs are staying sore for days at a time and feel fatigued.

Basically three days a week I'm doing circuit training followed by some cardio work with one day off between work outs. This week I haven't done cardio because my legs are just not having it.

Whatta yall think?

switch up your routines. don't do the same exercises every time you work out chest. but also you don't have to be "really sore" the next day to know you had a good workout.

i tweaked my back out a few days ago doing squats, i woulda been fine if i stuck to my normal 4 sets of 10-12 but i added in a 5th set for whatever reason and BAM. maybe i won't forget a belt next time..

true...

switch exercises. switch rep/weight/set schemes, etc. if normally doing 3 sets of 8, do 5 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 15. or work up to a 3 rep max or 1 rep max. its gotta be TRUE 1RM or 3RM otherwise you are just doing 1 rep of light weight.

if doing flat bench for main lift, try floor presses, or inclines. close grip, wide grip. dont forget stuff like tricep hell and pin presses/lock outs

Probably the usual........too much work, not enough recovery.

Consider reducing the workouts (duration, weight, etc.) a bit next week. See how it goes.

Make sure you're eating properly.

This.

When in doubt, eat and sleep more.

A de-load week is also a good idea if you've been beating yourself down for a while.

Ok so I've been consistently working out for about 3 months now. On and off for 3 years.

In the past 6 months I've lost about 25lbs of fat.

So I have a relatively flat stomach but no definition.

HOW DO I GET CUT??!

I keep my sets between 12-20 reps and do a half hour of cardio almost everyday.

And ya'll know what my diet is like from the last page.

Is there anything else I can do to quicken my results?

3 months isn't really that long.

I mean, yeah...magazines and shit say you can look like a fitness model in 6 weeks, but that's assuming you were well muscled and lean before you put on a few pounds over the winter.

Lift heavier and build strength.

The muscle and definition will be a byproduct of that.

This.

When in doubt, eat and sleep more.

A de-load week is also a good idea if you've been beating yourself down for a while.

Thanks guys.

I cut the cardio part out twice this week and today I added it back in. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but so far its feeling good.

Vanfull for real you need to increase the weight/resistance you are workin with. Sounds like you haven't been doing it incrementally as you should.

Honestly, I'm never gunna have the type of abs a bitch could crawl up like a rock wall with golf cleats on. Just aint in the cards. And I'm cool with that because I have gotten what I wanted, lasting strength.

When I say all I do is push ups it's really all I do along with some 30-40 lb free weights and various calisthenics. Watching what I eat is implied.

I've gone down from 265lbs to hovering around 210 in 6 months. I've always been one of those husky boiz. Never been weak but now I'm solid.

People are so caught up with a fucked up psychology regarding physique they loath themselves even when there is improvements.

Do your thing and get strong. I don't have wash board abs but I could hurt you in a fist fight

smh.gif

Why did you bother asking anyone about this shit if you were just going to keep doing what you've been doing?

If 20 reps of a low weights feels harder to you than 5 reps of a heavy weight, your heavy weight is not heavy enough.

You should be noticeably taxed after a heavy set of squats, deadlifts, rows or bench presses.

i dunno dude, sounds like you still have some stomach fat covering up your abs. i work out my abs maybe once a week (if that). so in other words, i don't nearly as much as i should, or at least compared to every other part of my body i work regularly. but i still have a decently cut stomach.

do heavy weight crunches til you puke

If 20 reps of a low weights feels harder to you than 5 reps of a heavy weight, your heavy weight is not heavy enough.

You should be noticeably taxed after a heavy set of squats, deadlifts, rows or bench presses.

i've gotta agree with that.

last weekend my little bro was doing squats. he had me spot him while he did his 'max effort' for 3 reps (3RM). after watching him do 3 easy, i was like, 'keep going!' he ended up doing 7 on what he thought was his 3RM. we threw 50 pounds on the bar and he then failed @ 3.

i'd recommend doing your main lift of the day working up to final set of 5-6 reps or under, balls to the wall, and all other assistance stuff with higher reps. 12-20/25 depending on what you are doing. and sounds like you just need to keep losing weight to see what you have under your belly fat. unless you carry a naturally low body fat, you generally have to lose an ASS load of weight to see abs. weighted abs of all kinds will also make sure they pop. but this is coming from a guy who has had true visible abs only for 1 summer in his entire life. im more worried about getting strong than keeping my body fat under 10%

fair enough, i mean people have plenty of different goals when it comes to working out. i don't know much about body building competitions and what not for example but isn't that all completely based on looks?

i don't really know if i have goals when it comes to working out. i do it to blow off steam and to have something productive to do, and it being good for your body is a nice added bonus. but regardless i still try to do things right by having routines and attempting to eat properly.

Vanoftardz, just keep doing ab stuff. eventually you'll get results. the shit takes time

You are failing to realize that ab exercises are not what gives you a noticeable 6-pack.

Low body fat does.

Heavy weights burn way more fat than doing light weight cardio with single joint exercises.

I understand that it's just to blow off steam and/or to look good, but if you could get something extra out of it in the meantime, wouldn't that be worth doing something a bit more structured?

So, why wouldn't you just get on a program that has clear goals to reach in every session at the gym?

It is simple as fuck and let's you know that you are making progress.

I don't see how you can ever expect to progress towards your goals if you don't keep track of your efforts or change things that aren't working for you.

Anyway, do whatever.

I hate how there can't be discussions on this board without someone getting all butthurt and thinking it's an argument. It's called debating, sassy pants.

With that being said,

I've been told and have read on here that bodybuilders don't push huge weights all the time, they stick to lower weights and it's just as effective. Higher reps = defined size, lower reps = bulk and strength. No?

I really don't care if you do any of this shit or not.

But, you have a tendency to come on here and ask for help and then when you don't hear what you want to hear you just do what you were doing already.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not a bodybuilder are you?

You can't just pick out some advanced bodybuilder plan and expect for it to carryover to your body.

Not to mention that all of those guys have a good strength base to build on from doing heavy movements.

Low body fat = ripped.

More muscle = more fat burning.

Heavy weights build more muscle.

See if you can piece that lil' puzzle together, br4h.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone on here.

I'm all about different goals and needs people have.

Just saying, you need a foundation to build on.