the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Wow. I honestly didnt even think to look into craigslist. You are right. I'm sure most people that announced to at least one other person they were gunna work out has folded like a sabotaged beach chair.

yeah a lot of people around here i've seen post on craigslist though know what they are selling and aren't really selling for great deals. but again, a solid iron dumbbell is just that, and if it's for 50 cents a pound instead of the standard $1 or 1.25 or whatever i'd still say it's a decent deal. the best bet is probably the thrift stores.

• 1 month later...

this is coming from the perspective of a dude who just knows somewhat how to workout but not taking powders or pills or whatever. i'm not really sure what a supplement is but i use jack3d very rarely. i took it for less than a week but i didn't like the idea of increasing scoops. i've never been into or used creatine or supplemental stuff but i use jack 3d whenever i'm super beat from work and school and i wanna go to the gym late night and get a REALLY good workout. its an energy booster btw.

i highly recommend it to people who have been working out for a while cuz if you take that shit, you're gonna hurt yourself due to being wayyy too energized and thinking you can do everything. i'm the type of duder that won't take advil or other prescription drugs cuz i just dont like taking stuff like that even though all food has weirdo stuff in it. i decided to give a suggestion to the people on here who want to take their workouts a step further without having to take a bunch of stuff. i dunno how much it is cuz i got it as a present but it seems worth it cuz it helped me in running. any other suggestions/opinions/feedback?

just started getting back into squats and i feel like i tore a butt cheek /nohomo my mentality for legs is to get it over with so i can get into the workouts i like p.s. running is so boring as hell

take whatever you want but my opinion on supplements like jack3d and all that other weird shit are mostly negative. i would even suggest drinking coffee like a half hour before you plan to get to the gym instead of using those supplements. or a caffeine pill if you REALLY need to. if you don't have energy to get to the gym, try adjusting your diet and eat healthier/cleaner.

sometimes i just don't feel like going, although my typical routine is at least 4 days a week of weight training. this time of year i get cardio from biking a lot. giving your body rest is as important as training hard

okay, so i don't work out, EVER, and im really trying to get into shape.

i was 220+ for a while and lost a whole shit load of weight, im at about 160 now. all by cutting portions. and at first im like "hell yeah im in shape now" but while going running i found that this is just not the case. i can't even run a block without getting winded. so now instead of being fat, im just a scrawny out of shape bastard. atleast when i was fat people didn't fuck with me, because i looked big enough to handle myself, now i just look like someone the wind could blow away haha.

do any of you guys have any tips on how i can get started? like i said i've never excercised in my life. right now im doing this thing where i run a block, walk a block for about a mile or so. and then 25 push ups and 40 sit ups 3 or 4 times a day. thats about max i can do. and frankly i just don't know where to go from there.

im trying to get into relatively good shape by mid summer, when i plan to start painting again, but at this point i feel if i got into a chase i'd be fucked so i don't even go out anymore.

I've been rocking the home workout myself. Push ups, chin ups..shit ton of ab exercises. Jumping ropes and yoga. Lost a shit ton of body fat and getting ripped. Now I bought a heavy bag to do cardio on. Oh and I've cut out almost everything from my diet. No sugar at all, and very few carbs. Try to eat only whole grain when I do eat them. No bleached.

^^nothing wrong with clean carbs dude. whole grains like you said, wheat pastas, beans, oats and other veggies.

Romero - do you smoke? i think you just need to establish a better jogging pace for yourself. even if you barely feel like you're going faster than a speed walk, it doesn't matter as long as you can keep up the pace. then just step it up from there. personally i always hated running because it's boring.

instead of doing those pushups/situps for that many reps 3 or 4 times a day, do it all at once, like a normal workout. do 4 sets of pushups as many as you can do until failure, and skip situps and do crunches instead. 4 sets, maybe 30 reps with no weight to start out. other good body weight exercises you can do for lower body are squats and lunges.

you should get into weight training if you don't wanna look like the wind can blow you away

Honestly romero, just take some time and read through this thread.

What anyone is going to say to you has already been posted in here.

quick tips tho,

- keep pushing yourself to go farther, faster

- keep a mental record of what you've done

- if you're going to run I'd stay away from eating a meal at least an hour prior to your run

- The more you switch it up, the less likely you'll get bored with working out

- If you're going to lift weights, eat a steak or some meat /nohomo right after you lift

- fish oil capsules and multivitamins are cheap and very, very good for you

- Don't worry about workout schemes. Have one, but don't worry about if it's the right one for you. It's as simple as... the more you lift/workout/run the more you'll get out of it.

- And yes, lift until failure

props will be delivered and all that shit. im too broke to afford a gym membership or weights.

first off, congrats on the weight loss!

a good way to build stamina is just to jog. start off jogging 0.50 miles every day for 7 days straight...then on monday of the new week bump it up to 0.60 miles every day...then next monday bump it up to 0.70 miles...etc etc etc....this is easier to do at a gym because you can keep track of it on the treadmill...this is how i was doing it for months until i got up to running about 2 and a half miles.

back in the day, i used the same method but used to jog on the levy by the river...instead of adding 0.10 miles every week, i would look at objects in the distance and would be like "ok, next week jog to there" (there being an end of a fence, or a tree, of a fire hydrant...anything that was a little bit farther from the previous week)

^but remember, this is all cardio...and is great for stamina....but for overall health (including muscle and bone strength) you need to do some resistance training.

no weights? no problem. stick with calisthenics...push ups, pull ups, squats without weights etc etc...doing burpees would be a good place to start (youtube the different types of burpees)..start off doing as many of these exercises as possible and just add to them every week...they will get easier to do.

google the onehundredpushups website....that actually helped me triple the amount of pushups i was doing....also, look into the convict conditioning book casek posted in here a while back (hopefully the link still works)

good luck, and let us know how its coming along!

• Like 1

I saw a personal trainer at the gym today (who must be new because I've never seen him before)

showing these two guys how to do squats, talking about "don't go any more than 50 degrees" and all that stupid personal trainer 'knowledge'

The funniest, most depressing part is that HE WAS DOING DEADLIFTS. I shit you not.

Fuckin' guy doesn't even know what the difference between a deadlift and a squat.

And when one of the 'trainees' curiously questioned him about it

"Are you sure those are squats? because I thought..."

The trainer was kinda dumbfounded but sure of himself, talking about

"Well I'm not sure you're correct, but the mechanics of motion are the same"

i get sorta discouraged when i have a question about a workout or technique because everyone says something totally fucking different or contrary to the last guy. so it's a lot of personal trial and error for certain things.

im trying to take time off because my forearm near my elbow (top of my arm) have been strained and feeling shitty for some reason. probably from barbell curls or something, but it sucks. if any of you feel a weird strain in your forearms while doing bicep exercises, i highly suggest you lower the weight instead of pushing through it like i was

first off, congrats on the weight loss!

a good way to build stamina is just to jog. start off jogging 0.50 miles every day for 7 days straight...then on monday of the new week bump it up to 0.60 miles every day...then next monday bump it up to 0.70 miles...etc etc etc....this is easier to do at a gym because you can keep track of it on the treadmill...this is how i was doing it for months until i got up to running about 2 and a half miles.

back in the day, i used the same method but used to jog on the levy by the river...instead of adding 0.10 miles every week, i would look at objects in the distance and would be like "ok, next week jog to there" (there being an end of a fence, or a tree, of a fire hydrant...anything that was a little bit farther from the previous week)

^but remember, this is all cardio...and is great for stamina....but for overall health (including muscle and bone strength) you need to do some resistance training.

no weights? no problem. stick with calisthenics...push ups, pull ups, squats without weights etc etc...doing burpees would be a good place to start (youtube the different types of burpees)..start off doing as many of these exercises as possible and just add to them every week...they will get easier to do.

google the onehundredpushups website....that actually helped me triple the amount of pushups i was doing....also, look into the convict conditioning book casek posted in here a while back (hopefully the link still works)

good luck, and let us know how its coming along!

thanks. and yeah, the second paragraph sums up exactly what im doing. adding half a block everyweek or so. but i haven't been doing it every day like i should because the weather has been shitty lately. im going to check out the pushup site though because i don't need to worry about the weather with those.

Yeah, congrats on the weight loss fag.

hahaha thanks. i'd prop you for all the suggestions but i must spread rep.