Japan..any questions?

serum

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

These pics dont really deserve a whole new thread

so i thought id might as well add them here

parade1.jpg

One day I woke up to screaming children playing drums outside my house

It some sort of parade celebrating the children of the city.

parade2.jpg

This is whats inside most shrines. They only take it out for special occasions

and carry it around all day

torii1.jpg

These are lanterns lit up on the side of a mountain. there are around

four different mountains that are lit up throughout the city. this is the one by the crib.

torii2bv6.jpg

Heres a closeup

blinds.jpg

Some art work on the bamboo blinds. I thought they were neat.

how socially accepted are tattoos overe ther? You always see those photos of japsanese with those full back pieces and I can't help but think I can't imagine what kind of japanese gets them. Anyway my brother lives in Tokyo and said something aobut you not being allowed to go to pools if you have tattoos

that description of the midwest is pretty on point.

it has a poisonous affect on a person.

is there crime in Japan like we got in America?

If im a felon am i unwelcome... non violent drug crimes?

would i get mad street cred being from Detroit?.... (thats a joke)

These conversation schools.... its that like english refinery?

to teach japanese who already speak english to speak it

better?

Do most japanese speak english?

^no, the crime rate in japan is nothing like in america.

they don't really have "hoods" or project areas or places where you'd be afraid to walk at night. there are no drive-by shootings or gang warfare. there are small-time robberies and burglaries here and there, and drug trafficking -- but all very mild in comparison to the u.s.... crime however has been on a steady rise in japan since the mid 90's. but for the most part, japan is a safe place. to put it in perspective, the u.s. has about 11,000 homicides a year. japan has about 35. one reason is that in japan owning a gun is illegal. in america of course you can register to own one, and if that doesn't work it isn't to hard to get em off the black market.

graffiti is on the rise in japan, and has been since the early-mid 90's. mainly thanks to u.s. influence through the media as well as american writers that have physically travelled there to paint.

however, organized crime is bigger in japan than in the u.s.... the mafia in the u.s. is all but broken and most top dons and lieutenants are in prison. in japan the yakuza are heavily involved in racketeering and payoffs from not only private businesses but police officers and other government officials.

how socially accepted are tattoos overe ther? You always see those photos of japsanese with those full back pieces and I can't help but think I can't imagine what kind of japanese gets them. Anyway my brother lives in Tokyo and said something aobut you not being allowed to go to pools if you have tattoos

tattoos arent a problem. i have a bunch and i have been to pools, onsens, and sentos galore.

they have a sign usually stating that people with tattoos arent allowed but i have yet to

encounter someone coming up to me in mid soap up to say ehem you need to leave.

yakuza usually frequent the same bath houses where nobody gives them any problems.

japanese kids nowadays are getting them a lot more. but i would suggest keeping your tattoos

hidden during work and while around the area where you live in. japanese love to gossip and

wont hesitate to accuse you of a crime if they know you have any. you get alot further in japan

in your daily life if you keep a conservative look. i dont even where earrings anymore.

i guess i assimilated to a point. i wear suits to work, and dress conservatively during the weekends

i dont dress strange unless im painting which i wear clothes that already have paint on them.

that actually seems to be the norm lately with japanese fashion.

Is Yoji Biomehanika realy god?>

Or is the Devil a DJ?

i have no clue who that is?

I am not sure why, but even givin the misgivings, etc. I am still very very interested in going if not living there.

Don't know how realistic an idea of that is. grad school first.

its a great experience. just realise the pay sucks, unless you get some corporate job in america

and get sent out as an expert. if you go to grad school, i strongly suggest just getting a job in your

chosen field in your country. there is a glass ceiling in japan and you are basically only needed and

wanted for your english skill. not much more is offered to you. i know people that are going on 20

years in japan and they only survive by running their own business.

that description of the midwest is pretty on point.

it has a poisonous affect on a person.

is there crime in Japan like we got in America?

If im a felon am i unwelcome... non violent drug crimes?

would i get mad street cred being from Detroit?.... (thats a joke)

These conversation schools.... its that like english refinery?

to teach japanese who already speak english to speak it

better?

Do most japanese speak english?

no real crime. people are real chill.

americans tend to hate eachother and are afraid of other cultures

so we carry alot of day to day baggage just waiting to be unleashed on someone. nobody has

seriously messed with me. i get occasional comments but theyre harmless. just the usual

stereotypical remarks about westerners.

i think i understand black americans alot more. i mean when people

constantly stereotype you, and put a set of expectations on you, you basically want to either try

and break thoughs stereotypes which never works or push the stereotypes further which is alot

easier and alot less stress, and alot more fun.

alot of weird crime. sick sadistic shit but it happens very rarely and is highly publicised.

alot of people dont know how to raise kids. babies dying in the car on a summer day because

the parents went to play pachinko, fathers want their newborn to stop crying so they take them

by their legs and slam them against the wall.

alot of the crimes are focused on women. alot of perverts. on the train, on the escalator, at the

work place. no sexual harrassment laws so bosses fondle their secretaries and beg girls to go out

with them daily. i had to put a few bosses in their place when they wouldnt stop bugging my

girlfriend. i didnt have to say much. just walked into the place asked for him and told him if i have

to come back again theres going to be problems. that was the end.

the felony would be a problem come visa time. you may get a tourist one good for 3 months.

a working one would be difficult. id suggest either contacting a lawyer or going to the japanese

embassy and applying for a visa there.

my guess about detroit would be comething to do with cars. im from chicago so im al capone.

they have no clue who the hell michael jordan is because basketball is almost nonexistant there

but they know some gangster.

japanese set up their people to become workaholics. kids go to school 6-7 days a week plus 2-3

afterschool activities. all very well balanced out. some sports, some music, some martial arts, and

alot of english. more people tend to speak english in tokyo and the surrounding area but no on a

whole no one can really speak english. conversation school is an after school thing for people to

pracise thier english. here is the catch. theres really nothing to talk about. alot of peoples lives are

so jam packed with work and school they dont do anything.

what did you do last week? nothing

what did you do today? nothing

what will you do next week? nothing.

uh great 44 minutes of class left and nothing else to fucking talk about.

i have met some great people at these schools and alot of annoying fucks that dont study

and just think theyll get english by osmosis. if you want easy ass, and dont mind putting

your job on the line well you could screw every student. i never did. i keep everthing seperate.

work is work and play is play. dont expect japan to be a party experience.

japanese people work hard and so will you. long hours, no overtime, and little pay

in a place that is way overpriced. everything is taxed up the ass and soon there will

be a 20% consumption tax hike added on all consumer goods in order to pay back all the

bad loans uncollected from the yakuza.

yakuza everything. politics sports clubs real estate construction..... to a much greater degree than

the american mafia ever did. this will never end. america put them in power after wwII

and they will stay in power until the next war.

btw, what's wrong with page 3 on this thread? i can only respond if i'm replying from page 2 or 1...

my bad its my extra long fucking pic. the response box is in the middle of your browser.

perhaps i should chop it and repost it since i cant edit it.

party1qm6.jpg

my boy writing on our homeless friend

that we supply with liquor and make the butt of our jokes..

party2tw4.jpg

as you can see he is not too happy about this.

party3kt8.jpg

it is then topped off with a toothpic stuck into the forehead.

party4jg1.jpg

"oi ore wa yumei jya!" = hey i'm famous!

In Kyoto (or generally) how hard is it to find work/money for someone with a cultural visa which means no working legally?

sorry i must have missed this the first time through.

in kyoto there aren't very many jobs for some reason. for the kansai region

1.Osaka 2.Nara 3.Kyoto 4.Shiga (most to least amount of jobs)

very rarely will someone hire a teacher illegally. it happens.

i know a lot of people that did it and are still doing it but its not

worth it if you get caught. however the chance of getting caught if you stay on

the short term is very low. usually only very small foreign owned companies

will do this. jobs like these are more likely in tokyo. the pay will be below

par and you will have to make several visa runs to korea or taiwan. after

a few in and outs the immigration authorities will catch on and not allow

you back into the country. thus being stranded at the airport with no way

to get to your home/ stuff. but they will usually warn you before hand saying

hey, we know what youre doing and you wont be able to keep doing this.

the amount of times varies for each individual.

japan always works on a case by case basis and no rule can generally apply to everyone

• 2 years later...

its kinda funny that this old thread got bumped. a friend that moved to korea sent me this link the other day http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/jobs_alt.html, and it got me interested. is it easy to get book gigs there? is weed readily available? what's the cost of living like? etc, etc...

i've still got six months of probation and my master's to finish, but after that i figure life's short and what the fuck, why not?

I arrive in 2 days also. Hitting up the Fuji Rock Festival amongst other things. Should be interesting to camp in a foriegn country on my second day there. No real plans, probably just wander around like I did last time, but take more photos this time.

Im in tokyo for 2 more days, near shibuya station, what can i do here?

A lot. Be more specific.

Walk to Omotesando, turn right at Condomania, take a right at a Kangaroo? shoe store and follow the short alley and at the last place on the right is an awesome, awesomely cheap gyoza place. I'm not sure if that's the right alley, but it's around there so just keep looking in alleys. There'll be a thai place on the left before the gyoza place. It also might be around the mondook or whatever restaurant (the totally glass place by kiddyland.)

Im in tokyo for 2 more days, near shibuya station, what can i do here?

whoa back from the dead.

daily crunch

anytime i played tour guide for friends it was always difficult because you never know what they want to do.

its a dense city. there is a ton of stuff to do. people watch, record shopping, sake bars, clubs, book stores,

skip the majority of museums and check out the major department stores they usually have a better

art show then the museums, graff and dance, pick up girls, go to sento/onsen, depending on time and money get out of the city.

i love matsumoto nagano. its not too far. or check out fukushima prefecture, iwaki city sendai city have amazing ocean views, yokohama is very close and worth a visit

50million

i guess that all depends on where you want to go what you want to do and what type of person you are.

japan is not the easiest place to deal with. very little english, a ton of people, cramped space, expensive everything.

but there are perks, people are generally nicer than in the west, they are very open

to everyones point of view, style of art, taste in clothes. it can be nice to see people are still open minded and less jaded than the mainstream youth culture in the west.

public enemy

definitely look into the jet program but have a back up plan. they have a limited amount of spots and usually a bunch of meetings that you must attend.

plus when you get there the plus side is they'll meet you at the airport take you to your home etc basically no headaches.

however the down side is that you may have to do extra shit if they so choose to make you.

it all depends on where you are placed but you may be put in the middle of nowhere and they will have you teaching old ladies

english for free on the weekends because they know they can get free lessons. so going at it alone may be better in some instances.

however with the economy they are making it harder and harder to earn a living.

a base salary has been set by the japanese govt at 250,000 yen a month (around$2,500US) for fulltime work in the 1980's

well that wage was a lot back then and it isnt so much nowadays. plus if you look at the ads they are cutting corners and trying to get you at around $2000/month.

right now korea is the place to go in terms of $ they pay the most but tend not to have the best teacher training or english resources.

but then again i didnt really like korea, or i should say koreans really didnt like me too much. it helps if you have friends there already.

also im not really sure if your criminal background will show up or not, it dpends on what it was and if they check for it.

shai

japanese condoms never fit my monstorous girth so i never used the j condoms,

and when i did it was like putting thimble on the head of a whale. (nohomx2)

so anyone plan on getting lucky make it easy on yourself and bring some with you

delv

camping is awesome in japan (if your spot isnt that crowded) i had a great time i went in the off season and went to gifu, nagano, and saitama.

we were the only ones at all the sites. pretty awesome. check out the onsens there they have some good ones with views of mt fuji

dr swindle

my only advice is dont get caught. there is no general rule for what will happen everything is case by case.

they could tell you hey you cant do that here please stop or they could throw you in jail for 23 days and require a hefty fine. usually they just like a fine. could be a few thousand dollars though.

oh yeah and a quick word of advice on your attitude if ever caught. do not act like a hard ass with them. this isnt the west. if you get caught and are taken in, you should act scared, apologize a million times,

and go along with their questions willingly.

if you cop an attitude and don't look remorseful they will throw the book at you. apologize and they may be lenient. it seems like the puss way of dealing with the situation but it will make a ton of difference on the outcome.

in my experience tokyo people are snitches. they love to get right on their cell phone to call on someone. in kansai area or kyushu they generally hate the police and will almost ignore anything.

medicine cabinet

yes very true. they do like to make examples of people and thats where that case by case situation comes in. some people hand over a few thousand yen and go on their way but others can be put in

jail depeding on your circumstances and attitude. if j people that get caught they get it pretty bad as well. they will determine the amount of the fine on how much your family is worth. rich family

members will be extorted to the max in order to teach you a lesson. one particular case on tv they stopped talking about the writer all together and just talked about the writer's relative.

another one they extorted $40,000US out of the family in order for the writer's university not to be mentioned in the papers or notified.

to everyone take lots of pics

I met an English speaking jap girl last night who said that one of her friends got put away for three weeks for a milligram of weed...

serum - we just travelled from Sapporo to tokyo overland and did some kinda cool shit along the way, so we're not looking to leave tokyo to see any country side...

my priorities are eating and drinking. we've basically just been exploring shibuya and shinjuku.

last night we found a mad little bar in shibuya, got invited to a birthday bash there on tonight, which feels a bit lame fronting but i'd be a fool not to go.

you're not in tokyo?

IMG_2053.jpg.8cfad3a96d2a4683182b5d519fdd1da8.jpg

these are in reverse chronological order...of an overland trip from sapporo to tokyo

IMG_0343.jpg

dogs presiding over offerings of sake...i don't know what powerful force keeps the local park bums away, possibly the extreme affordability of take away booze, such as 5 litre plastic bottles of suntory whiskey

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

track-side

IMG_0294.jpg

more fresh water than an australian has seen

IMG_0263.jpg

drunk, stiff drink-pouring tiny bar owner's pet

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

5 foot high door way to yakatori / beer drinking hole...

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0173-1.jpg

hot bird that i did not have sex with for some fucked up reason

IMG_0156.jpg

this bar had a stone internal feudal-feeling keep in the middle with wooden gantries accessing it...a la couching tiger bar brawl scene...it was a 300 yen bar (all you can drink in one hour for $5)

IMG_0133.jpg

ample drinking balconies

IMG_0122.jpg

check the birch fence

IMG_0113.jpg

beer warehouse

IMG_0107.jpg

government poetry

IMG_0092.jpg

job for lens

IMG_0089.jpg

block with about 8 gangster hobbit bars...some with enough space for only 5 people

IMG_0086.jpg

clandestine cherry picking opportunities....they tasted more a mix of australian peaches and cherries