<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Gray_MacBook_Pro_Screen.jpg

my macbook pro cant open,

the local mac store service

says i need a new: Logic Board, 2.5GHz

and the want to repair it for 1000 usd????

any advice,cheaper solution?

When you say it can't open, does it look exactly like the pic you posted? Where you can see half of the screen but the rest is blank?

Their is a recognized issue with a batch of Macbook Pros that came out in 2008 that had faulty graphics chips. When I experienced this chip failure, my Mac suddenly had a completely blank screen as if in sleep mode. It would not wake up so tried rebooting and the screen was still dark but I was able to log in, play music but did not have any visual display. Since it was a recognized problem Mac ran some tests to determine the graphics card was the problem and replaced it within 2 days at no cost.

Sounds like your problem might be different but I would try to hit some Mac forums to find out what other people experiencing the same problems have done.

I'm not sure I'm following but it seems to me that you are able to see the grey background with the apple logo while starting up and then it just dies out?

If you're not getting any video and only sound you could try this approach:

or you could always try Ice T's method:

• 2 weeks later...
6309873505_4d7989dc9f_z.jpg

Rebooted everything on computer and now it says^^

if i buy the boot disk will it work again?

and how much will it be

Looks like a bad hard drive. Not a good time for a hard drive failure as the flooding last month in southeast Asia has created a hard drive shortage and a spike in prices. But anyway get yourself a new hard drive and a windows CD.

so, i received a used computer from my brother in law. his employers were cleaning house and getting rid of a bunch of them so he snagged one for me. problem is that he wiped the hd and installed ubuntu which sucks because companies don't make drivers for this shit so my wireless card won't work nor will my wireless keyboard. i tried to install a copy of windows 7 that i got from demonoid on it but it won't boot from the fucking dvd like it should and instead just boots to ubuntu.

i shouldn't have to uninstall ubuntu, right? i've tried reading up on ubuntu and how to uninstall it, but it seems a bit over my head. any simple solutions to this? honestly, this free computer is more work than it's worth.

thanks swif. i tried that, but i only get two options under hd boot priority:

"ch2 m. :st640111as" and "bootable add-in cards". neither will work. i have the first boot device set as the cd rom but it still boots to ubuntu. it recognizes that there's an installation disk in the drive but boots to ubuntu anyways.

First be sure you downloaded a x86 ( 32bit version) of windows 7 this issue seems to be that you are trying to install a x64bit version of a win 7 disc and it will not read

If that is done be sure you are burning the disc as an ISO and doing it at a slow speed.

Also be sure that the drive you are using is able to read DVD-+R / DVDRW.

First be sure you downloaded a x86 ( 32bit version) of windows 7 this issue seems to be that you are trying to install a x64bit version of a win 7 disc and it will not read

If that is done be sure you are burning the disc as an ISO and doing it at a slow speed.

Also be sure that the drive you are using is able to read DVD-+R / DVDRW.

Also be sure the computer has the right specs to run win 7

you might want to install xp

• Like 1

LinuxMint is a really good alternative to Ubuntu...I don't know what kind of wifi card you're dealing with but I've never had networking problems with Mint. Also, nowadays wireless keyboards are usually Bluetooth so as long as you have a Bluetooth stack installed it should work.

Another thing you should try is formatting the HD. It's easier to install Windows then Linux, not so much the other way around.

• Like 1

whats with the giant increase in people viewing 12oz?

It's tied to the login error....the server seems to be logging people out as far as posting privileges go, but it doesn't do the math and take them off the counter.

That was how it was explained to me.

• 2 weeks later...